Has anyone had any luck getting Kids Club to bend the age rules?

sandkps

My boys are 8 and just recently turned 12. My 8 year old is the super outgoing one that will make friends with anyone that will listen to him. Our older son is the complete opposite. He is very shy and will not initiate conversation with anyone that he doesn't know. Our older son is very upset that he can't go to kids club with his younger brother anymore and refuses to try out Circle C. We have 2 weeks and I'm going to continue trying to encourage him, but I have a feeling he will be sitting in the cabin by himself watching TV when his brother goes to Kids Club rather than going to Circle C alone.

All that to say, what are the chances I could get kids club to bend the rules a tad and allow him to come in, especially in the evenings for the Night Owls parties? He's less than 3 months too old. Or would it be a waste of time even asking?

I would ask.

They let my daughter go up to the next age group (the counselor suggested it to us).

Not sure if they will let the kid go down in an age group, but you can always ask.

I would plan and prepare for the No answer though.

We had 2 situations in which they let us bend the rules. 1) My 12-year-old niece was allowed to go to Camp Ocean with my 11-year-old daughter this July on a very full Breeze ship. My niece has Down Syndrome, so that may have had something to do with it, but in all honesty, I don't think they would have cared. 2) My 6-year-old daughter wanted to be with the Penguins with her 3 and 4 year old cousins instead of the StingRays. Not a problem at all. They just switched her when we checked in.

There was one post I read not to long ago where kids did not want to go to the camp. Parents told him to try it although he still balked at that but he went. They came about 10 minutes early to pick him up and he sent them away saying he still had 10 minutes--he loved it when he went and gave it a chance.

There was one post I read not to long ago where kids did not want to go to the camp. Parents told him to try it although he still balked at that but he went. They came about 10 minutes early to pick him up and he sent them away saying he still had 10 minutes--he loved it when he went and gave it a chance.

My son is a lot like that, once he tries something he usually ends up enjoying it, but it's the getting him to try it part that's difficult. In the middle school group it's less structured and the kids come and go as they please, so that's where the problem lies. He won't initiate conversations with people he doesn't know and if he gets uncomfortable he'll just leave and go to the cabin rather than sticking it out and giving it time for him to warm up. He'a used to using his outgoing little brother as the bridge between new him and new people. The little one breaks the ice and starts the conversations and then eventually my older one will join in. LOL Obviously, I know he needs to get over this and start branching out more on his own, it's just tough to convince HIM of that!

Hi all! Our two boys are six years apart. On the first cruise we did on the Breeze, our youngest was having issues about trying the camp and being left "alone". At that time, even at home, he didn't like to be alone in another room without the rest of the family. He always needed to know we were there and that he was safe and secure. The counselors let the little one go and find his big brother if he needed him. I think the two groups were connected by a doorway. Soon enough our little guy made new friends in his own group and had a great time with no issues. Now his older brother hangs at the teen club or roams the ship with newly made friends during the day. Our youngest couldn't care less and now enjoys the kids club so much that we have to beg him to leave! Just explain your situation to the club counselors and I'm sure they'll try their best to accommodate. Hope this helps. Happy cruising! Bill.

These are part of teen growing pains. My boys are also almost 6 years apart and my son at 12 was also pretty shy and didn't spend much time in Circle C, but did go for the social things like games such as Apples to Apples. Even my younger who is very athletic and more outgoing didn't care for camp at 12 - it's just the age. Now at 13.5 I am sure he will have a blast. And yes, he will be meeting people and hanging out with his 19 yo brother who misses the structure of camp. He's not a drinker or gambler, so hangs out with little bro.

On another note, personally, my parenting style would not have me asking as the age groups are 6-8, 9-11, 12-14 and 15-17 on Carnival. So really, to put a 12 year old with his brother, you are putting him with the 6-8; not only is that kinda looking inappropriate but 2 groups down. My parenting style would also have me telling my tween that its his vacation and spend it like you want, and not worry about it. Who knows, he may find other similar quiet kids. But at 12, it really should be his choice. JMHO

These are part of teen growing pains. My boys are also almost 6 years apart and my son at 12 was also pretty shy and didn't spend much time in Circle C, but did go for the social things like games such as Apples to Apples. Even my younger who is very athletic and more outgoing didn't care for camp at 12 - it's just the age. Now at 13.5 I am sure he will have a blast. And yes, he will be meeting people and hanging out with his 19 yo brother who misses the structure of camp. He's not a drinker or gambler, so hangs out with little bro.

On another note, personally, my parenting style would not have me asking as the age groups are 6-8, 9-11, 12-14 and 15-17 on Carnival. So really, to put a 12 year old with his brother, you are putting him with the 6-8; not only is that kinda looking inappropriate but 2 groups down. My parenting style would also have me telling my tween that its his vacation and spend it like you want, and not worry about it. Who knows, he may find other similar quiet kids. But at 12, it really should be his choice. JMHO

Great point about his brother being TWO groups down, I hadn’t thought about that. On previous cruises the 6-8 & 9-11 get dropped off at the same place and do a lot of things together especially night owls, so I’d forgotten they really are 2 age groups apart now.

It will be his choice, I just want him to enjoy himself!

Great point about his brother being TWO groups down, I hadn’t thought about that. On previous cruises the 6-8 & 9-11 get dropped off at the same place and do a lot of things together especially night owls, so I’d forgotten they really are 2 age groups apart now.

It will be his choice, I just want him to enjoy himself!

Encourage him to go the first night - they do ice breakers and get to know you activities (like scavenger hunts). It's the most structured time for the program as it's designed to get the kids to open up a little and get to know each other.

They also have video games so even if he doesn't want to go to socialize, he may still be enticed to go to spend some gaming time.

Plus, there will probably be other 12 year old boys exactly like him (with parents who "strongly encouraged" participation in Circle C the first night). They won't be outgoing either. They can commiserate over their plight and maybe spend their evenings hanging out by the 24 hour pizza and ice cream. ;p