Maya Chan review - any Questions?

tmn1016

............visited Maya Chan in early February. I was part of a group of 4. I'm an early riser, the other 3 aren't.  Since I was up early, I decided to do some recon and walk to the spot outside of the port where you meet up with the Maya Chan representative to check in and get transportation.

Starting from Deck 9 (Indy) used the stairs to Deck 1, exited the ship, took the long way out of the port, and located the rep sitting outside a little shop opposite the taxi stand flying the Mexican flag just like they said. This walk took almost 30 minutes and I was walking with purpose. The walk time should have been less but I was constantly dodging moving roadblocks made up of other cruisers walking slower than me. (I didn't see the pier shuttle/tram that I've seen during prior visits to this port, not sure what's up with that).

I checked in with the rep letting her know that my group of 4 was getting a late start and would hopefully be back to meet her at 10:30am. She said she might still be there but if she wasn't, we should go to the nearby taxi stand and take one to Maya Chan. She also said I should bring my reservation paperwork to show the taxi driver that we had a paid reservation as the taxis will hesitate to take you there without you being able to prove you have a reservation.

My group left the ship at 10:10am, located and took the excursion exit shortcut (mentioned in an earlier post, saved a lot of unnecessary walking within the port) without being challenged and went to the Maya Chan meeting spot. The rep was gone, so was the Mexican flag, but I knew what to do. Went to the taxi stand, had to show proof of the reservation and the 4 of us taxied to Maya Chan. Upon arrival, Maya Chan paid for the taxi. The have a fixed rate they worked out with the taxis, but they don't tip the drivers, so we tipped him ourselves.

........just sharing my experience with the walk, exiting the port and getting the transportation without the rep.

On the return trip, the taxi will drive onto port property and drop you off within the port. For us, this was a multi passenger taxi van, I think there were 12 of us on that trip back to port. Maya Chan paid (and we tipped the driver).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Soundview77 said:

............visited Maya Chan in early February. I was part of a group of 4. I'm an early riser, the other 3 aren't.  Since I was up early, I decided to do some recon and walk to the spot outside of the port where you meet up with the Maya Chan representative to check in and get transportation.

Starting from Deck 9 (Indy) used the stairs to Deck 1, exited the ship, took the long way out of the port, and located the rep sitting outside a little shop opposite the taxi stand flying the Mexican flag just like they said. This walk took almost 30 minutes and I was walking with purpose. The walk time should have been less but I was constantly dodging moving roadblocks made up of other cruisers walking slower than me. (I didn't see the pier shuttle/tram that I've seen during prior visits to this port, not sure what's up with that).

I checked in with the rep letting her know that my group of 4 was getting a late start and would hopefully be back to meet her at 10:30am. She said she might still be there but if she wasn't, we should go to the nearby taxi stand and take one to Maya Chan. She also said I should bring my reservation paperwork to show the taxi driver that we had a paid reservation as the taxis will hesitate to take you there without you being able to prove you have a reservation.

My group left the ship at 10:10am, located and took the excursion exit shortcut (mentioned in an earlier post, saved a lot of unnecessary walking within the port) without being challenged and went to the Maya Chan meeting spot. The rep was gone, so was the Mexican flag, but I knew what to do. Went to the taxi stand, had to show proof of the reservation and the 4 of us taxied to Maya Chan. Upon arrival, Maya Chan paid for the taxi. The have a fixed rate they worked out with the taxis, but they don't tip the drivers, so we tipped him ourselves.

........just sharing my experience with the walk, exiting the port and getting the transportation without the rep.

On the return trip, the taxi will drive onto port property and drop you off within the port. For us, this was a multi passenger taxi van, I think there were 12 of us on that trip back to port. Maya Chan paid (and we tipped the driver).

Thanks for sharing your recent insight!

Now...can you further expound on …..  "located and took the excursion exit shortcut (mentioned in an earlier post, saved a lot of unnecessary walking within the port)"...… ?

Maya Chan's map says to walk all the way around the outside/backside of the port area as to avoid all the shops...is that what you're referring to? Or is there a true "shortcut" outta there?

THANKS!!

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:02 PM, Nanarrow said:

The walk to the pick up area is a good walk- made longer because the pier is long.

I am partially paralyzed and can make this walk. Cut through the Bakery, go to the right, and you will end up outside the port. There is a sidewalk in the center of the street- use it. It is only a few blocks. 

The pick up is on the right.

Don’t complicate it. The walk is worth it. 

Where is the Bakery?

1 hour ago, SRV FAN said:

This is the port map Maya Chan sent us.... can we not cut thru somewhere more direct to get out? Seems like such a long walk! 

Where is the “Bakery” on this map that is referred to in an earlier post? 

Thanks! 

See my red circles.  If you walk along the building there are "Exits" that are sometimes tie wrapped shut and sometimes not.  Last visit we were able to walk out of the exit.  The first exit takes you to the buses and the bus drivers told us to turn around.  The second exit, nobody there and nobody cared, and it walked straight out to the port exit which was perfect.  It was kind of hidden, but if you walk along the buildings you will notice the exits. It's a little bit around a corner, like the left circle, I'm almost certain that's where it actually is.  Just try them.  They cut the walk in half.

costa-maya-exit.png

1 hour ago, SRV FAN said:

This is the port map Maya Chan sent us.... can we not cut thru somewhere more direct to get out? Seems like such a long walk! 

Where is the “Bakery” on this map that is referred to in an earlier post? 

Thanks! 

B07825C1-34EC-4AC4-8482-5DB3D41FFEB8.jpeg

This is precisely the route we chose this week for exactly the reason to avoid the shops and crowds. It was sraightforward enough quieter but just as long as walking shop side.

You really just need to keep your eyes open. There are three exits if you take the shop routes which some times you can exit through, also some shops as mentioned have “cut-throughs” - go in the front snd out the back. However, they just take you through to the large car park area meant for the tour busses. The sidewalk there is very narrow and i can understand why during the main meeting times they try to discourage extra people joing the melee.

We go the way of the green path. The Bakery in the area of the green X. We’ve used this path twice and it works fine. This is simply a shorter alternative than the yellow path. The shop vendors are very tame in this port- so to walk through the center of courtyard it is not hard.

the “cut throughs” referenced are big wooden doors- do not try and use them/ they don’t save time and it will be a hassle.

Good luck and enjoy!

614F5529-9901-4EC3-98C9-F3CFACC36C36.jpeg

• Thanks 1

At the end of the pier you will see the excursion gathering area. If you can bluff your way through that gate you save a tremendous amount of walking, really helped a few of our group. They did try and reroute us but we just acted like we knew what we were doing so got past the security. Bus drivers did not even look up as we passed. We were the first from our ship to reach the taxi stand, a family from another ship shared our van and were complaining about the long walk, they docked some time before us.

Edited by Stmar

I just returned from this last week.  Awesome place and great service!  I mean they go over the top to make sure your being taken care of!  Great drinks...ask for the Boom Boom!!  Great food for lunch and all you can eat!  Only thing I liked from previous places you could eat anytime , you had to wait for lunch to be served here.  It is a ride about 30 min ride and some bumpy roads and they had a storm and the sea weed was over the top but they kept working at it the whole time and made paths for everyone to get it the water.  I would go back for sure!  They even showed pictures before we left to make sure we was ok with how it looked after the storm.

23 hours ago, SRV FAN said:

Now...can you further expound on …..  "located and took the excursion exit shortcut (mentioned in an earlier post, saved a lot of unnecessary walking within the port)"...… ?

This is the port map Maya Chan sent me as the most recent way the port people want you to exit the port and this is the path I followed to exit when I did my recon (and noticed the "No Trespassing" shortcut exit and ultimately used that later when I was with my group).

image.thumb.png.1ad76388ff376d11647c449649d0a10f.png

If you stay in front  of the shops following the yellow line, somewhere just past that first 90 degree turn to left (near the performers swinging on the the pole) there is an exit with a large brown sign mounted on the wall saying "No Trespassing ......this exit is for pre-booked tours" or something to that effect........

......that's where my group ultimately exited and ended up behind the shops in the lot where the tour buses park.

image.thumb.png.8067a2c306af71a5b45f64042cd24e34.png

This is a picture that Maya Chan sent me of the meeting spot.

This building is on your right as you walk down the road after exiting the

final port security gate. This pic does not show the rep or the Mexican flag.

She was sitting at a small outside table in the shade in close proximity to

those sign boards you see in the pic.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, HOSKI said:

Once you get to Maya Chen is there anything else within walking distance?  How far is it from the town?

Nothing in walking distance and what also I liked is that you didn't have any kind of vendors trying to sell you anything.  Only thing was asked if we wanted a massage at the beginning.  It does seem a lot further because of the dirt road and bumps that can't go that fast.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Krisco said:

Looking forward to first time there in a few weeks.  The map situation seems the most challenging.  ha 

We are also going there for the first time but not until February,if you would please do a review when you return and let me know about the map and if it is easy to follow.

Have a wonderful trip. I am looking forward to hearing your comments.

Thanks,Jill

Way overthinking the map. Just work your way outside of the port. There is one main exit. Just keep going. That exit is on a main street.  There is a path in the middle of the street for pedestrians. Can't miss it if you tried. Maya Chan reps will be on the right side of the road well before the big fake pyramid, that you couldn't miss if you tried.  The reps are near a little convenience store. It's not a busy road, there is nothing else on the road really.

• Like 1

We visited Maya Chan on March  27 and I agree with all the posters here regarding the beach, service, food, and drinks.  It was all top notch-very very nice.  I was prepared for water that was not great based on the posters, but the day we were there it was really bad.  The shoreline was all brown, smelly water.  We asked if it was even safe to go into the water-they said it was, but we did not venture in.  I understand it is out of their control on the ocean conditions, but I did not expect it to be that bad.  They have installed a small pool to cool off in which we did use.

Everything else as mentioned was great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/22/2019 at 9:10 PM, Soundview77 said:

Upon arrival, Maya Chan paid for the taxi. The have a fixed rate they worked out with the taxis, but they don't tip the drivers, so we tipped him ourselves.

I dont remember tipping the taxi driver last time.. or other guests tipping him either.   Dont know why I assume Maya Chan included a tip when they pay him.  

What do other folks do about tipping the taxi drivers?

Thanks!

Brad

3 minutes ago, ihopfar said:

I dont remember tipping the taxi driver last time.. or other guests tipping him either.   Dont know why I assume Maya Chan included a tip when they pay him.  

What do other folks do about tipping the taxi drivers?

Thanks!

Brad

I tip $10 each way for the 2 of us. I would tip whether Maya Chan tipped or not. It's a reasonably long ride and they work hard.  But that's my personal feelings on it. 

Just ask David if they tip the driver. 

• 6 months later...

I've seen a lot of posts on Tripadvisor about the bad seaweed smell at this place. Are these people over-exaggerating or is it okay sometimes? I figure it's hit or miss. The owners respond to a lot of the negative reviews on TA and see to get defensive over the seaweed. We've had a lot of seaweed at an AI in the Dominican Republic, but no smell.

1 minute ago, UnaPalomita said:

I've seen a lot of posts on Tripadvisor about the bad seaweed smell at this place. Are these people over-exaggerating or is it okay sometimes? I figure it's hit or miss. The owners respond to a lot of the negative reviews on TA and see to get defensive over the seaweed. We've had a lot of seaweed at an AI in the Dominican Republic, but no smell.

My last trip to Maya Chan, there was a lot of seaweed and essentially no smell from it.  People are overly sensitive.  Honestly, if it's a miss with the seaweed, then go get a cheap beach massage, hang out in the tree house and the bar, etc.  It takes a special kind of person to have a bad time at Maya Chan.  It's the ultimate chill Mexican hangout with insanely good service, drinks, and food.  Plus a homey vibe.  Dogs hanging out, etc.  Just go with realistic expectations about the seaweed.  Hit or miss.  

• Like 3