Mardi Gras

robntawn

We are going to be in NOLA for 3 days during Mardi Gras and I have a few questions that I hope people can answer:

1. We are going to book grandstands for parade viewing. My research indicates that the Lafayette Square searing is across from city hall where the mayor greets everyone and presents the key to Rex. Is Lafayette A or B the best place to sit?

2. We are also going to book grandstand at Intercontinental Hotel on Mardi Gras Day. I see public and private grandstands listed, and some sites indicate that the private stands include open bar and food for about $150. Anyone have any first hand knowledge?

3. Finally, we are going to book a Bourbon Street balcony for Sunday night. We We arrived safely ! Around 5, and the rental is 6pm until midnight. Choices include Bourbon Vieux, Cats Meow, and Bourbon Cowboy. All include food and drink so I’m looking for first hand knowledge of the experience and location.

Thanks fellow cruisers!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I see that you are arriving at 6:30pm on Sunday via Celebrity. That is pretty late to arrive and the city will be absolutely crazy. Don’t expect to get a cab easily. You should plan on walking to whatever activities you are doing. The cruise port is very near the convention center and traffic will be a mess. There are 3 day parades on Sunday and one evening parade. The three day parades disband in and around the convention center so traffic will be closed. Since you aren’t docking till 6:30pm you will also get caught up in Bacchus traffic. Bacchus is one of the largest parades and the parade ends in a huge private party that takes over the entire convention center. The parade floats and bands all go inside the convention center. This creates a GIANT traffic mess.

If it were me I would skip the balcony over a bunch of drunk tourists (believe me I am not a prude and imbibe plenty during Mardi Gras, but girls flashing and laying down in the street drunk is not my Mardi Gras) The garbage you see on the news that always focuses on Bourbon St is only a very tiny slice of Mardi Gras. Most locals avoid it since it is crowded and limits your exposure to the grandeur of the overall city during this amazing time.

Since you are arriving pretty late I would still try to get a grandstand seat for Bacchus as it is an amazing parade and if go to the stands at Lafayette Square you would be arriving at the right time. Monday during the day is pretty tame as many locals still have to go to work, but if you have the time I would enjoy the Lundi Gras celebrations at the Riverfront. Lots of free entertainment and a rich part of history. Rex arrives via riverboat.

http://www.experienceneworleans.com/lundi-gras.html

The night parade on Monday is Orpheus which is one of the three “Super Krewes” that parades. This one is well attended but isn’t as crazy as Bacchus (Sunday) and Endymion (Saturday) parades.

Tuesday is Mardi Gras day and this may sound counter intuitive I would advise getting up really early. Some of the coolest stuff happens by 10am. If you really want to experience Bourbon Street then get up early and attend the costume contest. The awards are handed out later, but there are plenty of great costumes walking the streets. Some are so imaginitative. There are two day parades. One is Zulu which is a historically African American krewe. This is something not to be missed. The signature “throw” is a decorated coconut. Rex is one of the oldest parades and while it is historically significant it is a bit of a snooze fest if you have seen any of the three super krewes. Following Rex will be like a 100 (not kidding) truck floats. I personally loathe these truck floats. There are no bands it is just 18 wheelers pulling these floats. The exhaust from the trucks is reason enough to not attend. They go on forever and are not worth your time. We generally leave after Rex, however we have been up since early in the morning enjoying the costumes, the walking krewes and the two bigger parades.

https://www.crescentcitytruckparade.com/

I can’t stress enough that you will be walking everywhere so bring comfortable walking shoes and wear layers. It could be shorts weather during the day and then you may need a jacket at night. I would also recommend a backpack as you want your hands free for your beer and for catching beads. Bring along a pack of tissues and hand sanitizer as the bathrooms you have access to are generally port a potties. If you don’t already own a portable phone charger I would invest in one. I don’t know if it is because of so many people, but my battery seems to always drain faster. You will also amass a lot of stuff so you want to have someplace to put it. While the cruise port is pretty close I would not plan on popping back to the ship due to the fact that so many parades disband nearby which creates people and car traffic jams. This is one place where you should try to eat off the ship as much as possible. There is a reason NOLA is known as a food city.

Wow. Such awesome and detailed advice. I sincerely thank you! After reading your recommendations, I think we will just wander down to Tcopalas (so?) Street after docking Sunday evening to catch Bacchus, then head over to Bourbon Street afterward. We walk everywhere and enjoy it.

I am wondering if Lafayette A or B is best for grandstand viewing?

I like your suggestion of hanging by the riverfront for Lundi Gras festivities during the day. We will likely head over to Commanders Palace for brunch that day. We usually have lunch and 25cent martinis on weekdays, but my understanding is that they only do brunch on Lundi Gras.

We will attend Orpheus that evening. I had considered private grandstand at Intercontinental Hotel since it used to include open bar and food, but they no longer do that. I’m also told that their grandstands are standing only, no sitting.

We will also attend Zulu on Mardi Gras day and book Lafayette grandstand.

Looking forward to the chaos and energy!

Wow. Such awesome and detailed advice. I sincerely thank you! After reading your recommendations, I think we will just wander down to Tcopalas (so?) Street after docking Sunday evening to catch Bacchus, then head over to Bourbon Street afterward. We walk everywhere and enjoy it.

I hate to burst your bubble but expecting to "wander down" to Tchoupitoulas is going to likely lead to disappointment and a very limited view. The parade route from Lee Circle onward is barricaded. All along St. Charles Avenue is pretty narrow with lots of people camped out since early morning. We stand on the Uptown side of Lee Circle and rent a room at the Hotel Indigo just so we can get up and put our chairs and ladders out by 7am. The crowds only build from that point on. If you look at the prices you will see that the more popular a parade is the more expensive the tickets. If it were me I would buy tickets for Bacchus and chance it for a free spot for Orpheus.

https://www.mardigrasparadetickets.com/pages/zones

http://www.nola.com/neighborhoods/2015/07/pronounce_tchoupitoulas_in_new.html

I am wondering if Lafayette A or B is best for grandstand viewing?
I have never sat in the bleachers but I did go and look at the map. If it were me I would actually pick the Poydras A, but they may be more of a challenge since you are docking on the other side.

I like your suggestion of hanging by the riverfront for Lundi Gras festivities during the day. We will likely head over to Commanders Palace for brunch that day. We usually have lunch and 25cent martinis on weekdays, but my understanding is that they only do brunch on Lundi Gras.
Commander's is definitely awesome, but if you want to stick closer to town without having to deal with transportation and have just as good of food then you can head to Cafe Adelaide which is also a Brennan's restaurant that does 25 cent martinis. They have the most amazing shrimp and tasso corndogs appetizer. I know it sounds weird, but OMG it is good! They are served at both brunch and lunch.

We will attend Orpheus that evening. I had considered private grandstand at Intercontinental Hotel since it used to include open bar and food, but they no longer do that. I’m also told that their grandstands are standing only, no sitting.
Like the other grandstands I have never stood there. If you can get tickets there I would say it is worth it. The queen of the Rex Parade stands and stays at the Intercontinental Hotel so it is a great place for Mardi Gras day.

We will also attend Zulu on Mardi Gras day and book Lafayette grandstand.
Be sure to go early and just take in the atmosphere. The streets are closed and you are allowed to walk up and down the streets prior to the parades. It is a great walk to take in all the music and merriment.

Looking forward to the chaos and energy!
just remember to go with the flow and don't be afraid to change your plans if you happen upon other things. There are plenty of great music and dining venues that don't live on Bourbon Street!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for Mardi Gras info!

We are also going to be there from feb 9-11 hoping to see a parade, is the schedule out yet for the weekend before?

Thanks for Mardi Gras info!

We are also going to be there from feb 9-11 hoping to see a parade, is the schedule out yet for the weekend before?

http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/schedule.html

The best thing to do is download the "WDSU Parade Tracker" app. The app is constantly updated. Tere is a lea car in every parade that has a GPS tracker so you can check the app to see exactly where the parade is on the route. Things can and do change on a parade day, especially if there is expected bad weather. Parades may push their start forwards or backward in time because of weather. One thing that confuses many people is they are confused by the term "roll" and you will hear this on the news and see it in the app. You will constantly here people saying "Do you know what time Bacchus will roll?" This just when the parade will start..

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Nolatravelgirl: would you recommend grandstand viewing for Bacchus at Sheraton? We don’t get in until 6:30 on Sunday night and Bacchus starts at 5:30.

I personally would go for some of the reviewing stands on St. Charles. The parade will take hours to get to even Gallier Hall. The parade route is long and the Sheraton is near the very end.

• 4 weeks later...

Rather than start a new thread, this looks like a good place to ask... We're booked on the Dream Feb 11th. Never been to NOLA at Mardi Gras. How difficult will it be to get to the port? I've looked at parade routes for Feb 11th and there are three beginning at 11am and all right in that area. Will port access still be available? We'll be coming down I-10 and I have no idea where to get off to get to the port. Someone suggested just going over the bridge, then turn around and come back and get off right at the port, but is there an exit there or not? I can't find one on the map. This is made doubly worrisome since we'll be in two vehicles, one following the other. I don't want it to be a case of the blind leading the blind. :) Any advice? Should we just get to the terminal as early as possible and hope for the best?

Rather than start a new thread, this looks like a good place to ask... We're booked on the Dream Feb 11th. Never been to NOLA at Mardi Gras. How difficult will it be to get to the port? I've looked at parade routes for Feb 11th and there are three beginning at 11am and all right in that area. Will port access still be available? We'll be coming down I-10 and I have no idea where to get off to get to the port. Someone suggested just going over the bridge, then turn around and come back and get off right at the port, but is there an exit there or not? I can't find one on the map. This is made doubly worrisome since we'll be in two vehicles, one following the other. I don't want it to be a case of the blind leading the blind. :) Any advice? Should we just get to the terminal as early as possible and hope for the best?

See my answer on your roll call.

• 7 months later...

Nolatravelgirl: I hope you’re still here. We are getting closer to the grandstands opening for 2019 bookings and I wanted to pick your brain some more. We will be booking grandstands for all 3 days, and I wanted your opinion for each of the Bacchus, Proteus, and Zulu parades on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday respectively. Please keep in mind that we don’t dock until about 6:00 on Sunday evening. We are avid walkers without mobility issues.

I am hoping you can give me your insider opinion, choosing between Poydras, Lafayette, and Hotel Intercontinental grandstands for each parade.

Wow - I now realize that I know so LITTLE about Mardi Gras. I didn't know there were parades leading up the main festivities. Looks like a couple of parades the day we disembark in February. Looks like the main one is Krewe de Vieux on Sat night. We really only have that ONE day to explore the French Quarter. I have only been to NOLA once and my friend has never been. Would this be worth trying to catch a glimpse? Or should we avoid the area at night and focus on other things?

I hate to burst your bubble but expecting to "wander down" to Tchoupitoulas is going to likely lead to disappointment and a very limited view. The parade route from Lee Circle onward is barricaded. All along St. Charles Avenue is pretty narrow with lots of people camped out since early morning. We stand on the Uptown side of Lee Circle and rent a room at the Hotel Indigo just so we can get up and put our chairs and ladders out by 7am. The crowds only build from that point on. If you look at the prices you will see that the more popular a parade is the more expensive the tickets. If it were me I would buy tickets for Bacchus and chance it for a free spot for Orpheus.

https://www.mardigrasparadetickets.com/pages/zones

http://www.nola.com/neighborhoods/2015/07/pronounce_tchoupitoulas_in_new.html

I have never sat in the bleachers but I did go and look at the map. If it were me I would actually pick the Poydras A, but they may be more of a challenge since you are docking on the other side.

Commander's is definitely awesome, but if you want to stick closer to town without having to deal with transportation and have just as good of food then you can head to Cafe Adelaide which is also a Brennan's restaurant that does 25 cent martinis. They have the most amazing shrimp and tasso corndogs appetizer. I know it sounds weird, but OMG it is good! They are served at both brunch and lunch.

Like the other grandstands I have never stood there. If you can get tickets there I would say it is worth it. The queen of the Rex Parade stands and stays at the Intercontinental Hotel so it is a great place for Mardi Gras day.

Be sure to go early and just take in the atmosphere. The streets are closed and you are allowed to walk up and down the streets prior to the parades. It is a great walk to take in all the music and merriment.

just remember to go with the flow and don't be afraid to change your plans if you happen upon other things. There are plenty of great music and dining venues that don't live on Bourbon Street!

Cafe Adelaide closed two weeks ago.

Nolatravelgirl: I hope you’re still here. We are getting closer to the grandstands opening for 2019 bookings and I wanted to pick your brain some more. We will be booking grandstands for all 3 days, and I wanted your opinion for each of the Bacchus, Proteus, and Zulu parades on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday respectively. Please keep in mind that we don’t dock until about 6:00 on Sunday evening. We are avid walkers without mobility issues.

I am hoping you can give me your insider opinion, choosing between Poydras, Lafayette, and Hotel Intercontinental grandstands for each parade.

I don't think there is that much of a difference as far as to what you would see. There are parades pretty much all day on Sunday so the streets will be crowded. Seeing as you don't dock till 6pm on Sunday I would pick either Lafayette Square or the Intercontinental since they are on the river side of the parade route. Trying to cross the route when parades are passing is never fun and that way if you are late you won't be stuck on the wrong side from your tickets.

The big parade on Monday evening is Orpheus. Proteus is rather ho hum so be sure to stay for the main event as it is a stunning parade.

On Tuesday the two big draws are Zulu & Rex. They are completely different parades but both are a must watch. I looked at the prices of tickets for the different stands and the Intercontinental tickets are more expensive and I don't see that you get anything for that other than you get access to toilets inside a building rather than porta-potties. I would maybe splurge for Tuesday on the Intercontinental since the Queen of Carnival (The Rex Organization) and her court all sit in the private reviewing stands (not where you would have access but close) so the riders in Rex tend to throw lots to the revelers at the hotel. Zulu starts very early, so don't dawdle getting there.

All of these stands appear to be general admission seating so getting there timely will get you a better view. Wear your comfy shoes and dress in layers. Mardi Gras is later this year so the weather will be warmer. I have worn shorts plenty of times during Mardi Gras during the day but it will still drop to needing a light jacket in the evening. Don't forget to bring a bag for all the loot you will catch. :)

I don't think there is that much of a difference as far as to what you would see. There are parades pretty much all day on Sunday so the streets will be crowded. Seeing as you don't dock till 6pm on Sunday I would pick either Lafayette Square or the Intercontinental since they are on the river side of the parade route. Trying to cross the route when parades are passing is never fun and that way if you are late you won't be stuck on the wrong side from your tickets.

The big parade on Monday evening is Orpheus. Proteus is rather ho hum so be sure to stay for the main event as it is a stunning parade.

On Tuesday the two big draws are Zulu & Rex. They are completely different parades but both are a must watch. I looked at the prices of tickets for the different stands and the Intercontinental tickets are more expensive and I don't see that you get anything for that other than you get access to toilets inside a building rather than porta-potties. I would maybe splurge for Tuesday on the Intercontinental since the Queen of Carnival (The Rex Organization) and her court all sit in the private reviewing stands (not where you would have access but close) so the riders in Rex tend to throw lots to the revelers at the hotel. Zulu starts very early, so don't dawdle getting there.

All of these stands appear to be general admission seating so getting there timely will get you a better view. Wear your comfy shoes and dress in layers. Mardi Gras is later this year so the weather will be warmer. I have worn shorts plenty of times during Mardi Gras during the day but it will still drop to needing a light jacket in the evening. Don't forget to bring a bag for all the loot you will catch. :)

Awesome advice, as usual. Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Considering a Celebrity cruise that docks in New Orleans during Mardi Gras.

We were in NOLA a few years ago and we want to do a few things again and one that we missed.  Then....we'll fill in the blanks.

My husband LOVED the oysters at Acme.  When we were there we waited in line, maybe 15 minutes or so.  How long do you think it'll be during Mardi Gras time.  What time would it be less crowded?

Also...Café du Monde.  We just walked in.  Do you anticipate being able to do that during Mardi Gras.

Unfortunately, we did miss the WWII Museum.  I understand it's closed on Fat Tuesday.  Is it open on the Monday before?  You don't need tickets beforehand for this, do you.

If you can offer any help, we'd really appreciate it.:classic_biggrin:

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:54 PM, mafig said:

Considering a Celebrity cruise that docks in New Orleans during Mardi Gras.

We were in NOLA a few years ago and we want to do a few things again and one that we missed.  Then....we'll fill in the blanks.

My husband LOVED the oysters at Acme.  When we were there we waited in line, maybe 15 minutes or so.  How long do you think it'll be during Mardi Gras time.  What time would it be less crowded?

Also...Café du Monde.  We just walked in.  Do you anticipate being able to do that during Mardi Gras.

Unfortunately, we did miss the WWII Museum.  I understand it's closed on Fat Tuesday.  Is it open on the Monday before?  You don't need tickets beforehand for this, do you.

If you can offer any help, we'd really appreciate it.:classic_biggrin:

My questions still stand if anyone can help.

7 hours ago, mafig said:

My questions still stand if anyone can help.

WWII Museum is open per their website day before Mardi Gras.  see: https://www.nationalww2museum.org/visit/plan-your-visit

You do need to purchase tickets beforehand for Final Mission: USS Tang Submarine Experience and Beyond All Boundaries to be sure space is available.  It is recommended to purchase admittance tickets to avoid lines at venu.

No way to tell how long lines will be at Acme (or try Felix's - virtually across street from one anothrt) and Cafe Du Monde but should be manageable.