TSA Pre

WVBill

Does EVERY person in the party need Global entry? Or is one card good enough for the entire family in Port Everglades? I have it only.

I'm pretty sure everyone needs their own card. The other members in your group haven't gone through the background check and interview. TSA isn't likely to take your word for it that they aren't terrorists. It is our government in action, after all.

TSA Pre-check does NOT give you a free pass through screening. It allows you to keep your belt on, jacket, shoes, computer, liquids, etc (in the carry on). X-ray machines and pat downs may occur if you happen to trigger the carousel lucky golden ring. Still worth having my TSA pre-check.

Thanks!

We have our first flight on 11/9 with TSA PRE out of Columbus Ohio.

In the past it seems they always pick me for a pat down. After TSA I hate looking for a bench to put my shoes and belt back on. It will be nice to continue to my departure gate.

Does EVERY person in the party need Global entry? Or is one card good enough for the entire family in Port Everglades? I have it only.

No card; no go. Same at road border crossings. Everyone in the vehicle must be an active member or have to use the regular lines.

So far, it's one of the best bargain deals out there.

Another advantages of GE is that at the airport, when coming in from an international flight, most airports have a separate customs line for GE travelers. At SAN this means that you don't have to queue up for the (usually long) X-Ray line after picking up your luggage.

As was mentioned in an earlier reply and it's worth repeating, when using the GE lane at Port Everglades, you need to present your physical card to the agent. At the airport only a passport, or in my case a green card is required as they are linked to your KTN.

Has anyone out there in the Cruise Critic community experienced having an original free TSA Pre expire?

When pre-check was first introduced there was little demand for it as people resisted the $85 fee.

So TSA worked with some of the airlines to optionally put pre-check on boarding passes for members of their frequent flier program as a way of getting more people acquainted with the program and hopefully willing to pay for it.

Once sufficient people signed up for pre-check and paid the fee, the pre-check lines were used enough that the "free" use of it by airline FF members was discontinued in most cases.

Haven't flown in years and didn't even notice TSA pre-check on our boarding passes in March until directed toward that line by TSA. Flew on Southwest and my husband/ kids had it as well. In April flew with my sister on Jet Blue and happily had it again. Have wondered why since then so am intrigued to read other's experiences. We all have passports so was curious if that had anything to do with it.

I applied for Pre-Check this year & when I questioned about sometimes getting it & sometimes not they explained that when I got the Pre-Check before it came from the Airlines I was traveling on so they decided who would get it & who wouldn’t.

Tom😎

I applied for Pre-Check this year & when I questioned about sometimes getting it & sometimes not they explained that when I got the Pre-Check before it came from the Airlines I was traveling on so they decided who would get it & who wouldn’t.

Tom😎

Interesting but pretty much when we get it that was first time traveling with that airlines in some years or in some cases first time ever.

Using EZair we keep flying different airlines and getting it so wondering if Princess EZAir has something to do with it.

DH has had it on most of our Southwest flights. I got it when we flew on Delta this summer but he didn't. We don't fly often enough to make it worthwhile to spend $170 (or $200) for it. And fortunately we usually don't have too long a wait for TSA screening at our airport. Once, though, I had around a 30-minute wait for screening at FLL while DH sailed through the TSA-Pre line. We were there in plenty of time, so I did not worry.

There is also another approach that might work for some people. Apply for the US/Canadian Nexus program, which allows you to cross the US/Canadian border in expedited lines at most major crossings. Works for car and air flights. BUT the real benefit is that it automatically enrolls you in TSA Preclear and Global Entry, all three plans for only $50 for five years.

But there is a catch: You need to personally appear at a US/Canadian border crossing Nexus office to apply for the Nexus card, and you need to have a decent story about why you make sufficient border crossings each year to want the card. You will also need to reappear at that office when your US passport renews, so once every 10 years after the first appearance. If you drive into Canada from the US, especially on the Seattle to Vancouver route, having a Nexus card can save you hours at the border crossing, especially southbound.[/quote

Just curious, will they honor your Global Entry in the same respect when crossing the US/ Canadian border?

Here is some further info on Global Entry that also speaks to Nexus benefits. From reading this, it appears that GE cards work for entering the US by land, sea, or air, but not for entering Canada. I think only Nexus adds that provision (and saves you $50 in the process).

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/card

I've had TSA pre-check for many years, longer than my DH because I had 2 more flights/year to visit my sister. We typically have cruised 3x/year for awhile (6 flights). As we live more than 40 mi from DTW, it'd be a pain to go down there just for a GE interview. When we returned from Europe in May, there was virtually no waiting for anyone on our flight to get thru the entry process as ours was the only intl flight arrival at the time. OTOH, when we returned last fall, there was a HUGE line because at least one other intl flight came in just ahead of ours.

It's not a question of it expiring as you never really got it. They do have a database of those that travel a lot and randomly choose whether or not it is time to check you. For 75% - 80% of our flights, we do get the TSA pre-check on our boarding passes ... we've never signed up or paid for it but we do fly a fair amount.

But, we do get picked every so often to go through the regular line ... sometimes one of us, but sometimes both. Then, just as it is not given to us, the next time it might be back. But, I think the key is being a rather frequent flyer without incident.