Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Miss S. It is not me! My creeping days are gone! However, there is one Cooler chap who doesn't require much sleep and is up until all hours of the night. I think J has been practicing his fandango on the tables. There is a faint echo of castanets when the Cooler Bar opens in the morning. :)

Enjoy the shopping!

Mysty and Napria: The only person dancing on the tables will be Cam as she is the one who dances in stilettos (remember our previous posts on this fact)! I will only dance in flats and I don't know if I can climb up on the table anymore.

Have a good day ladies, and you fellows, too!

I will dance on the tables... but only if there's vodka. And sushi. I can't drink vodka on an empty stomach :P

Sounds like a plan Napria! Vodka and sushi it will be! :) Penny prefers white wine I think. Not sure the drink of choice for Cam or Miss S or Spins. J did mention that he works with vodka so you may need to share. I'll go with my Rusty Nail. Let the merriment begin!

Hello Coolers,

Wish I had been dancing today, but it was gym day... not so much fun. Sorry, I’ll have to retract that, it is fun because we do dance moves cardio style. Yet, not truly dancing, no. I do still use high heels when I dress up, and I love to dress up. And I’ll pull whoever wants to dance up the table as well. Enjoy your day!!

So, obviously I need to figure out multi quote.

I'm with you, Camillus, I love to dress up! And I love wearing sparkly things as long as they're tasteful. And dancing. I could dance for hours. In my younger days (seems like a lifetime ago) I was in a Dance Company, and when I wasn't dancing with the Company I was dancing in the clubs in NYC. Ironically I married a man who was in a Local Southern Rock band and he hates dancing :(

Mysty, Rusty Nails were our aprés ski drink. They were just the thing after a fun day on the slopes of New England!

Oh Napria, what fun!! Same thing happened to me, married into music but he will not dance. Worse, he does not like it if I do, so I cajole him with disco music because the tempo allows for "paso doble" steps and he's ok with those. I was a wanna-be ballerina since childhood, and later did international folk dancing in College. I used to belong to U of C Berkeley's folk dancing group and that was fun! Can't find any "senior" dancing group in my area, so I'll stick to our Conga line in the Cooler...lead on, Jeff!

A big 👍for Vodka...my usual nightly tipple! Sushi is a no no....😏

Love dancing, particularly after a few vodkas!!

My grandmother and father were ballroom teachers so l learnt from a very early age....grandma lived to 108 so guess it kept her fit!

😊

Love the dancing talk!

Cam...brilliant move on your part to get your husband to cut a rug! Myster does not like dancing either although he has humoured me with ballroom dancing lessons and square dancing lessons. He is a gem! :) I did folk dancing as well but not in a professional or even quasi-professional group. And ballet for you! Awesome!

Miss S. I'll bet you are a wonder on the dance floor! It is in your genes! :) Hope we can share a dance floor at some point!

Napria...it sounds like you are the professional among our raggedy-tag dance enthusiasts. Sounds like a lot of hard work and a lot of fun!

Good Morning Coolers,

For anyone interested in such things these are some piccies of Singapore Airlines new First Class product and one of their Business seat. The business seat seems to be better or as good as BA First. And at Singapore they use JetQuay ...... a really great service experience .......

b538fc33e3baac3fd31c040ef2de04bf.jpg

1a54622d31c718b2e78df15b7e655110.jpg

6541da82559ea5fb4fd1ebefaa0f19b0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Jeff, hubby grew up on Long Island (New York) and there they played Allman Brothers, Marshall Tucker Band, Outlaws, Dave Mason, Eagles, etc. covers. I'm eight years younger and danced in the Clubs to Alternative music. My friends and I would take a stretch limo (I believe it was actually one of my friend's husband's) and go to the hottest venues where the driver would double park and open the limo door for us and the six of us would pour out, dressed to the nines and the bouncers would let us right in. I actually never drank anything but water in those days because I LOVED to dance, and alcohol seriously limits how much dancing I could do.

We moved to Atlanta about a year after the 9/11 attacks. My husband worked in Manhattan and I was frantic to know if he was alive that day. My sister also worked in Manhattan and lost a lot of colleagues. She walked out over the Brooklyn Bridge that day. My son was in Kindergarten and five of the teachers in his school lost husbands. I'm originally from Boston and had no great love for New York, so my husband asked for a transfer to the Atlanta office. We've been here for 15 years now and it's the best place I've ever lived. But it's getting really crowded and we're thinking about getting some property in the North Georgia Mountains to vacation in and eventually retire to.

Whew! That was more than anyone wanted to know, wasn't it?!

Those pics are incredible! For someone who's just started flying again, I'm extremely impressed!

Penny, I agree and have long been loyal to BA and to n extent I have no option other because of the 1.6m miles I have and it will be a few years before they are spent.

Naps, what a really colourful life you have led and currently lead. I so envy you Atlanta, although I haven't returned for a while. I use to visit very often and stay up at what was Pickett Suites on Windy Ridge now a part of another group. After a while I was told I knew more about Atlanta restaurants than my local friends. A very favourite of mine ..... I use to take my wife there on every trip was Joe Dale's Cajun Station ... long since closed. I got to know Joe quite well, he was intrigued to understand why a Brit was a regular visitor. He managed to get a train carriage into his restaurant! I use to like Jilly's Ribs, also now closed I believe. And at weekends I use to drive us up to the Blue Ridge Mountains where the air was very sweet. We use to sometimes pan for gold. I also one took her on a zydeco / Cajun music safari where we drove for a couple for weeks just taking in all the best of Southern music. I remember having one of my favourite pizzas at Lennox Mall and had my very first iced tea, something I never really got use to.

When you danced at NY clubs were you dancing professionally? I use to have dancers in my road show and I am embarrased to admit they danced in bird cages under ultra-violet lights. They were however very well paid because they brought the men in and it was them that bought the drinks ....

Happy Days,

c3502d1e57087aadb54ec4b10b282d3b.jpg

Good morning.........Jeff, I flew Business Class in August for the first time and it was fantastic:) but the picture of THAT bed and on that plane? WOW, WOW, WOW:D.........that looks AMAZING!!!!:D

Good morning.........Jeff, I flew Business Class in August for the first time and it was fantastic:) but the picture of THAT bed and on that plane? WOW, WOW, WOW:D.........that looks AMAZING!!!!:D

That lovely double bed should receive the “Mile High Club” discount!

James, you'd deserve a lot more than points if one had the courage for such things ..... On BA for example a part of the CC mandate is they have to walk around through the night flights to check on "the well being" of all passengers. You might therefore be "interrupted". A member of BA CC also has to call the flight deck every 20 minutes through a night flight to ensure that flight crew are fine. Very reassuring!

Lois, one of the best things you can do at this stage of your life ie the run up to retirement is really get to grips with all the airline and hotel schemes, as what might not be possible with cash is sometimes possible with miles. Don't presume all miles come from travel. I'd see it as a part of pension planning ie building up a big stash of miles and points for your retired travel.

Lois, one of the best things you can do at this stage of your life ie the run up to retirement is really get to grips with all the airline and hotel schemes, as what might not be possible with cash is sometimes possible with miles. Don't presume all miles come from travel. I'd see it as a part of pension planning ie building up a big stash of miles and points for your retired travel.

That is just so true. I don't think we've paid for a flight in the past 5 years coutesy of Virgin Airmiles and BA Avios. I am an Intercontinental ambassador which snags us many advantages on paid stays plus many free nights (although it costs, IIRC, $190 a year which we make back on the first booking). In the case of airmiles the real winner is when you need to book a one way flight - it is half the points of a return but to buy a one way often costs more than a return plus we get free upgrades etc. It really is worth getting into the fine print of these loyalty schemes.

Jeff, hubby grew up on Long Island (New York) and there they played Allman Brothers, Marshall Tucker Band, Outlaws, Dave Mason, Eagles, etc. covers. I'm eight years younger and danced in the Clubs to Alternative music. My friends and I would take a stretch limo (I believe it was actually one of my friend's husband's) and go to the hottest venues where the driver would double park and open the limo door for us and the six of us would pour out, dressed to the nines and the bouncers would let us right in. I actually never drank anything but water in those days because I LOVED to dance, and alcohol seriously limits how much dancing I could do.

We moved to Atlanta about a year after the 9/11 attacks. My husband worked in Manhattan and I was frantic to know if he was alive that day. My sister also worked in Manhattan and lost a lot of colleagues. She walked out over the Brooklyn Bridge that day. My son was in Kindergarten and five of the teachers in his school lost husbands. I'm originally from Boston and had no great love for New York, so my husband asked for a transfer to the Atlanta office. We've been here for 15 years now and it's the best place I've ever lived. But it's getting really crowded and we're thinking about getting some property in the North Georgia Mountains to vacation in and eventually retire to.

Whew! That was more than anyone wanted to know, wasn't it?!

Those pics are incredible! For someone who's just started flying again, I'm extremely impressed!

Good morning Coolers from cold and rainy Central New York.

Napria, many thanks for sharing your dancing life story with us! Over the course of time sitting in our barstools, we learn a lot about each other and find that this bar freely dispenses virtual Voka and Champagne (my favorite) as well as humor, civil debates, and emotional support. Your stool is always there for you at the Cooler Bar.

That is just so true. I don't think we've paid for a flight in the past 5 years coutesy of Virgin Airmiles and BA Avios. I am an Intercontinental ambassador which snags us many advantages on paid stays plus many free nights (although it costs, IIRC, $190 a year which we make back on the first booking). In the case of airmiles the real winner is when you need to book a one way flight - it is half the points of a return but to buy a one way often costs more than a return plus we get free upgrades etc. It really is worth getting into the fine print of these loyalty schemes.

Snap! Glad you also benefit ....

People often overlook that Avios bookings are effectively semi-flexible bookings in that if you change your mind you get your points returned and most of your cash. The real winner with Avios is the Amex Premium Plus 241 flight voucher, which has got us to Sydney and Singapore in First many times,

Also snap with IHG which we're currently Plat Amb, but use to be Royal Ambassador, but we retain all or most of the benefits with a couple of the main properties we continue to visit as loyalty recognition. This normally involved the upgrades to suites and lounge access even on points and al;ways prearranged. I just bought 120,000 points to see upcoming points and cash redemptions.

Good Morning C!.

We flew BA the whole while overseas and loved it. We just kept flying them and got an Avios Card, and I have been at the point where I can fly First most of the time.....Even SS has me going BA Business next week. So, I will stay loyal and I do like the Concorde Lounge!!

It's a great reminder how fortunate we all are to have the choices we have ......

Today I thought I'd bite the bullet and see whether I could make potato waffles in the waffle maker and it worked. They would be a great thing for a full English breakfast with some eggs, bacon and mushrooms ....

7df6fa20ec9b162921de0d7a52d72d92.jpg

78e4c77a4b4f311e90901bedb79e1f53.jpg

Snap! Glad you also benefit ....

People often overlook that Avios bookings are effectively semi-flexible bookings in that if you change your mind you get your points returned and most of your cash. The real winner with Avios is the Amex Premium Plus 241 flight voucher, which has got us to Sydney and Singapore in First many times,

Also snap with IHG which we're currently Plat Amb, but use to be Royal Ambassador, but we retain all or most of the benefits with a couple of the main properties we continue to visit as loyalty recognition. This normally involved the upgrades to suites and lounge access even on points and al;ways prearranged. I just bought 120,000 points to see upcoming points and cash redemptions.

Good Morning C!.

My elder son got me onto the IHG thing. He has the top Ambassador status (the one above Spire and it's invite only). My goodness does he do well out of it! For example he got an upgrade to the Presidential suite (I think that's what it was called - the top one anyway) in Madrid a little while ago on a booking made with points for a normal suite. I think he said the difference if one had to pay it was about Euro2.5k. But he uses IHG group A LOT and knows just about every wrinkle in the scheme.

The only downside is that we are always tempted to book an IHG group hotel even where a more interesting, and sometimes cheaper, alternative might be more tempting. As for the Intercons, of course the problem is that they are few and far between. On our upcoming trip to Cape Town in Jan we have booked a Holiday Inn Express on points because a, there is no Intercon and b. a decent hotel is stupidly expensive. this is where we find the points thing so useful. In other places, Barcelona for example, we have abandoned IHG and gone for a nice hotel right at the port because the IHG properties just aren't that convenient. So we are having to pay real money!!!

The one mistake we made, in retrospect, was to get into the Virgin Atlantic scheme rather than Avios when we started to travel more frequently maybe 5 years ago. The routes are limited - so far that hasn't hurt us but we need to get to Australia in a couple of years and a fistful of Avios would have been much more useful. We've used up our meagre store of Avios for a Club flight to Barcelona next week (£30 cash paid) but have hardly even made a dent in our VA points for the flight back from Barbados where 2 ecos have been upgraded to Prem Eco. Sadly, no Upper available. And, anyway, something for nothing always seems so much more of a treat than something paid for. This may make me sound mean and parsimonious but that's only because I am.

As I said earlier, a bit of research and perusal of the small print can really pay off.

That first class looks a bit rich for my wallet!

Most of my flying has been done at company expense and on the cheapest available ticket, it was usually MEA or DAN Air.

Even when we flew home from Japan – after the sinking – we flew BA cattle class. I suppose we should be grateful though as one lad commented that watching us (from the ship) and seeing the lifeboat capsize in heavy seas was scary – but he flew home with Aeroflot which claimed was even more scary!

We flew BA the whole while overseas and loved it. We just kept flying them and got an Avios Card, and I have been at the point where I can fly First most of the time.....Even SS has me going BA Business next week. So, I will stay loyal and I do like the Concorde Lounge!!

I used to fly BA a lot in the early 90s when we lived in Hong Kong. I was in the RAF at the time and knew the Sqn Ldr at Kai Tak who sorted out the seating for troops on the BA flights. Because of this I would always fly HKG-LHR in Club but the flight back was at the back end with all the other ne'er-do-wells. In those days Cathay was the airline of choice for anyone paying their own fare - OH had to fly back one time for a family crisis and rated Cathay better than BA.

But the best flight I ever had was a return to Dubal when I went for interview with Emirates for a position in their healthcare system. The tickets they sent were for Business but I got upgraded at the airports to First. It was marvellous. (They also put me up in a suite in a posh hotel and gave me a car and driver - the interview process, look around etc lasted maybe half a day and the rest of the 5 days were my own. Very generous, I thought. In the end I turned the job down because the pay was rubbish - after paying for the kids' schooling, pension, housing etc there wouldn't have been much left over. I also went in midsummer and it was H-O-T.) Now I consider myself lucky if the lady in the chip shop gives me a bigger than normal haddock.

OH says I am an embarrassment to travel with. She bases this on one small incident. In the early 80s we flew to the then Yugoslavia in a Tupolev something-or-other that was, to be charitable, garbage. Anyway, when we got the food (which was pretty good actually) the woman in the next seat didn't eat hers because she was busy throwing up. So I asked if I could have her meal. She said yes before gently vomiting again so I got 2 meals. Apparently that was embarrassing. Go figure.