why is disney so expensive

luckyinpa

4 nites NYC to canada 1905 for an inside. 3200 for 6 nite to bermuda for an inside!

then i priced a crystal cruise which i believe is considered a premium line. 4200 for 14 days to canada. seems like a bargain. i think thats really all inclusive too with drinks/tips etc.

We sail Crystal often so I can highly recommend Crystal.

Disney is certainly a wonderful line catering to families and extended families and can be very special.

You are correct that many things are included with the Crystal Cruises such as tips and drink and many other amenities.

Keith

I was going to say that! Disney = expensive because it's Disney!!! Everything Disney is expensive. It is a premium (in some people's eyes!) product that is popular precicely because of what it is and what it offers.

To be honest I love Disney, but as I don't have children I don't think I'd sail on them, even though it's supposed to be a brilliant cruise line. I mean I don't mind kids that much, and expect them when I go to Disney, but I can get away from them when I want. On a Disney cruise, I'd expect there to be far more kids than on other lines, and I can't escape them as easily if I need to, so unless the point comes where I have children, I don't think the Disney line is for me.

I think that price for the Canada cruise on Crystal is great, I'd go for it.

i should reword the question to " what would disney or a disney lover say is the reason for the high price'

ive only been on 2 ships so far but on them the food and service has been good. are there free mickey dinners and pictures with the kid. better activities etc. im really curious

I was going to say that! Disney = expensive because it's Disney!!! Everything Disney is expensive. It is a premium (in some people's eyes!) product that is popular precicely because of what it is and what it offers.

To be honest I love Disney, but as I don't have children I don't think I'd sail on them, even though it's supposed to be a brilliant cruise line. I mean I don't mind kids that much, and expect them when I go to Disney, but I can get away from them when I want. On a Disney cruise, I'd expect there to be far more kids than on other lines, and I can't escape them as easily if I need to, so unless the point comes where I have children, I don't think the Disney line is for me.

I think that price for the Canada cruise on Crystal is great, I'd go for it.

Just took granddaughter to Disneyland (the real one in SoCal). Passed on staying at the Grand Californian (Disney) Hotel at $600+/night (standard room at their top lodging). Hilton and Marriott a short walk away? Only approx $250/night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just took granddaughter to Disneyland (the real one in SoCal). Passed on staying at the Grand Californian (Disney) Hotel at $600+/night (standard room at their top lodging). Hilton and Marriott a short walk away? Only approx $250/night.

Nice catch :)

My first cruise was a Disney cruise and it was wonderful. I loved the ship, the service, and the shows. At that time, I took my son and two of his friends. He's an adult now, so my husband and I haven't sailed on Disney since then because we are just as happy on other lines. Disney does everything right. There are definitely a lot of kids on their cruises. For a child's cruise or for a die hard Disney fan, I do not think anything beats Disney. For older teens and adults, I think they would be just as happy on another line and might even prefer other lines.

A valid comparison: Disney is not expensive because the meals, the entertainment, the ships facilities, or any their aspect is so much better than what is available on other lines. Disney is expensive because people think it is worth the premium pricing - the Disney name sells.

The magic the characters weave over short family members is so effective that the tall family members (the ones carrying money) are willing to pay.

We are Disney Fanatics. We own Disney Vacation Club and have taken several Disney Cruises. With that said, about 18 months ago we just could no longer justify the price difference in cruising. We have now been on two RC cruises and have a Carnival booked for next year. In our opinion Disney is a much better experience but it is not twice as much better. So while we will still take our annual Disney World trip we no longer will be cruising with them. For the record I have two kids ages 6 and 11.

• Like 1

4 nites NYC to canada 1905 for an inside. 3200 for 6 nite to bermuda for an inside!

then i priced a crystal cruise which i believe is considered a premium line. 4200 for 14 days to canada. seems like a bargain. i think thats really all inclusive too with drinks/tips etc.

Because there are enough people to pay the price. When the people wise up, the prices will drop.

DON

We will be taking our first Disney cruise in a few weeks. I'll let you know if the cruise will be worth its $7,000 price tag. Honestly, we aren't Disney fans, but my kids are 7 and 5 years old so we figured that, if we are ever going to take a Disney cruise, it will be now.

We also took our first Disney parks vacation last month after some good friends (who vacation almost exclusively at Disney) begged us to go with them. We did Disney like the pros. And while we had a great time and a very memorable vacation, the entire time I kept thinking that accommodations, food and service just don't meet what we've experienced on other vacations at that price level.

I'll see if the Disney cruise experience is any different, but based on what I've already seen, a substantial percentage of a Disney vacation cost goes towards "pixie dust". If you're into Disney, then it's worth it. If you're not, then it may feel like a waste of money.

A valid comparison: Disney is not expensive because the meals, the entertainment, the ships facilities, or any their aspect is so much better than what is available on other lines. Disney is expensive because people think it is worth the premium pricing - the Disney name sells.

The magic the characters weave over short family members is so effective that the tall family members (the ones carrying money) are willing to pay.

Name sells so much in today's society.

We have the same story - first 3 cruises were on Disney Wonder and Magic. We loved it and they got us hooked on cruising! That is until we opened our eyes and saw all the other lines were almost half the price and stopped sailing with them.

At first we assumed pricing was basic supply and demand as they only had 2 ships. When Dream and Fantasy were available, we figured, great, the prices should drop a little. But never did... It's been 13 years since we've been on a Disney ship.

But now after being on 6 other cruise lines, I can't really agree their product is "Premium" over the others. As long as my currency still has pictures of dead presidents, and not mice, dogs, or princesses, I won't be dropping any of it on a Disney cruise anytime in the near future.

We are Disney Fanatics. We own Disney Vacation Club and have taken several Disney Cruises. With that said, about 18 months ago we just could no longer justify the price difference in cruising. We have now been on two RC cruises and have a Carnival booked for next year. In our opinion Disney is a much better experience but it is not twice as much better. So while we will still take our annual Disney World trip we no longer will be cruising with them. For the record I have two kids ages 6 and 11.

why is disney a better experience?

We prefer the themed restaurants- the rotational dining- the character interactions, the nightly entertainment etc

Disney just knows how to make it about families in our opinion- I know Disney is not for some

Royals attempt at Dreamworks just not compare to Disney. We loved our Star Wars Cruise on Disney Fantasy. However Disney has now priced us out of Cruises and we have a great time on other lines.

So while we feel Disney is better, it is not twice as much better as their price tag reflects.

With the understanding that my comments refer primarily to the real Disneyland and it's adjacent California Adventure, consider the following:

>Disney's Imagineering is unequalled in its creativity and the actualization of the doable concepts that emerge. One only needs to look at the relatively new Carland - absolutely amazing with something for everyone (at any age). Sometimes, Disney visitors forget/don't realize the expense involved in the years of R&D that goes into a Disney attraction (including its cruise ships).

>Wholesome and safe atmosphere with the most unobtrusive yet efficacious security forces assuring zero tolerance of any nasty guest behaviors.

>Unbelievable training efforts that assure each and every "cast member" understands that the Disney guest is the focus of their service while, at the same time, the focus of their efforts to establish a lifelong relationship with the Disney product. (Watch the interaction of ANY Disney employee with young girls who, in ANY interaction, will always be referred to as "Princess"). Along these same lines, a small story: I once had an executive administrative assistant who had previously worked for Marriott and was a "Disney U. graduate." I have never met anyone else as good at defusing a potentially unhappy interaction with an irate visitor.

>Like "60s rock n roll," Disney's mainstay characters of Mickey, Donald et al. are the timeless animated stars that all other animation companies aspire to (and generally fail though Pixar tests that theory - so much do that Disney quickly and successfully aligned itself with Pixar).

So, bottom line (like it or not): Disney is the gold standard of popular entertainment for young folks and the company will always charge what the market will bear.

From what I can tell, it's expensive purely because of the Disney brand. Nothing is particularly different than other cruise lines from what I have read (I have been trying to figure out why they are so much more as well!). Some people are just crazy for Disney which makes their cruises the obvious choice for those people. I'm sticking to the other ones: Carnival, NCL, Celebrity, and RCL.

after reading a few of the above comments, i have to ask if there is the standard after muster crush to the elevators. the diffusing of customer stress sounds interesting indeed. :)

can one say its a more positive atmosphere with no jerkfaces on a disney cruise? i'm assuming less boozing?

that being said i didnt really see any issues on Regal a few weeks ago either. if someone asked me what room princess had for improvement it would be very minuscule. so it sounds like 'that extra' level of perfection is what people are paying for perhaps at disney.

maybe someday ill make it to a park. always regret not doing when younger/cheaper etc

after reading a few of the above comments, i have to ask if there is the standard after muster crush to the elevators. the diffusing of customer stress sounds interesting indeed. :)

can one say its a more positive atmosphere with no jerkfaces on a disney cruise? i'm assuming less boozing?

that being said i didnt really see any issues on Regal a few weeks ago either. if someone asked me what room princess had for improvement it would be very minuscule. so it sounds like 'that extra' level of perfection is what people are paying for perhaps at disney.

maybe someday ill make it to a park. always regret not doing when younger/cheaper etc

Disney fans aren't so much fans of the "brand" as much as they are fans of the icons (I.e., the characters). BTW, when you finally go to a "park," make it the real one in Anaheim.

Crystal is actually a luxury cruise line and if you saw a 14 day cruise on Crystal to Canada for only $4200/person, that would be a great deal. However, the one thing about luxury cruising is that they are basically geared towards adults. During the summer there are children programs but the rest of the year is basically child-free.

IMO, Disney is worth the extra money. Younger children would definitely enjoy seeing the "characters". On our one Disney cruise, passengers met in the theater and the characters showed up and the children left with them -- with big smiles on their faces.

I feel that Disney is the only true child-friendly cruise line. Many times parents will book other cruise lines based on their likes and dislikes rather than that of their children (sorry to generalize but that is how I see it). Being a luxury line cruiser now, I see too many parents that take their child(ren) on a luxury cruise line - even though there is nothing for them to do and many times there are no other children to play with. To me, this is almost the definition of selfishness.