why is disney so expensive

luckyinpa

2 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Where is the value????? I can see Micky and Goofy. Awesome.  P.T. BARNUM rides again.

Value is a personal perception. If you were asked which was more valuable, a diamond or a glass of water, what would you answer?

and for the record there is more to a Disney cruise than the character meets.

You Barnum comments are insulting to people that do see the value in a Disney cruise.

19 minutes ago, declansdad said:

Value is a personal perception. If you were asked which was more valuable, a diamond or a glass of water, what would you answer?

and for the record there is more to a Disney cruise than the character meets.

You Barnum comments are insulting to people that do see the value in a Disney cruise.

I wonder if her engagement ring is a cubic zirconium rather than an “overpriced” diamond.

• Haha 1

Not an insult The truth. No one has ever replied to my question. Please tell me why it is worth it, other than for the children to enjoy. What is on that ship for adults that are not on other ships? No gambling either. There must be something worth 2 to 4 times the price of another cruise line to the same locations. Even Royal has a far better island of there own. 

Guess I found my answer. NOTHING.

The ship offers quite a few places for grownups to escape. These range from the adults-only pool and sun deck to a cluster of venues -- a pub that shows live sporting events, a Champagne lounge, a bar with live music, and a nightclub with a DJ and dancing -- that becomes adults-only after 9 p.m. Programming in these areas includes dancing, trivia, game shows and even a Quest scavenger hunt. Adult activities on a Disney cruise are often seasonal, as well. For example, our sailing, which was during Halloween, included an adult costume contest.

Because Disney Cruise Line is backed by the Walt Disney Company, it has myriad resources at its disposal; the entertainment options are mindblowing. One night on each sailing, a group of pirates takes over the ship, and Captain Jack Sparrow rappels down the funnel to save the day, kicking off an impressive fireworks display. If you're looking for a bit of interactive fun, each vessel's Midship Detective Agency sends you around the ship to gather clues via animated wall art. In select Animator's Palate restaurants, Crush from "Finding Nemo" interacts directly with passengers via LED screens throughout the venue. (When we say he interacts, we mean he asks your name -- and remembers it -- and banters back and forth with diners about things like their attire. It's mildly creepy but amazing, and we still haven't figured out how they do it.) Production shows are anything but the stale song-and-dance revues you might expect from other cruise lines. The special effects, costumes and choreography are simply spectacular -- Broadway could learn a thing or two -- and there's enough adult humor sprinkled in to keep more mature cruisers interested. Like movies? You're in luck. Disney owns Marvel, Lucasfilm, Touchstone and Pixar (as well as TV brands ABC and ESPN), so you can catch first-run films onboard, too.

Wow!  It looks like the Disney hater has changed her mind.  After the all-caps “NOTHING” , she goes on to list all the special things about Disney, which presumably DO make them worth the price.

I still do not see enough value for me - but it is refreshing to see an objective post at last.

• Haha 1

twodaywonder, a Disney Cruise is a very different experience because the whole thing is oriented around various Disney characters.  They have a lot of character meet and greets, the shows are to Disney standard, the dining experiences are character meet and greets. They have shows with fancy special effects and fireworks. Whether or not all of this is pleasing to adults, depends entirely on the adult and if they are Disney fans or not.  There are some videos of a Disney Cruise by a well known vlogger, Tim Tracker, that may help you see how a Disney Cruise differs from other cruise lines - he did one video a day for I believe a 4 day cruise.  Here is the first one and you will find links to the next one in the right column on Youtube when you watch this video: 

Embarkation day: 

16 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Wow!  It looks like the Disney hater has changed her mind.  After the all-caps “NOTHING” , she goes on to list all the special things about Disney, which presumably DO make them worth the price.

I still do not see enough value for me - but it is refreshing to see an objective post at last.

NOTHING means. Nothing different from other cruise lines and what they have to offer. Did not change my reasoning. Not worth it at all. Woops, yes there is. Fire works. Guess that is worth 2-3 times the price of other cruises for adults. My mistake. Understand. I am not begrudging anyone from spending their money on a Disney cruise. Certainly free to do what ever you want. But not me. I worked hard for my money and do not intend to blow it. A cruise vacation for me is usually the best vacation for the money spent. (VALUE) That is why we cruise a lot. I would rather do 2-3 cruises for the price of one. Everything Disney offers for adults is offered on the other cruise lines AND A lot more fun and games than they offer.. Except for the fire works. Again. Not something I would book. 

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

NOTHING means. Nothing different from other cruise lines and what they have to offer. Did not change my reasoning. Not worth it at all. Woops, yes there is. Fire works. Guess that is worth 2-3 times the price of other cruises for adults. My mistake. Understand. I am not begrudging anyone from spending their money on a Disney cruise. Certainly free to do what ever you want. But not me. I worked hard for my money and do not intend to blow it. A cruise vacation for me is usually the best vacation for the money spent. (VALUE) That is why we cruise a lot. I would rather do 2-3 cruises for the price of one. Everything Disney offers for adults is offered on the other cruise lines AND A lot more fun and games than they offer.. Except for the fire works. Again. Not something I would book. 

Go back to YOUR post #79 0f yesterday (5/31) -- after your "NOTHING"  it went on the list everything Disney does have for adults.

Are you confused, or is someone messing with your posts?

Perhaps if you re-read it you might find something of value.

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Go back to YOUR post #79 0f yesterday (5/31) -- after your "NOTHING"  it went on the list everything Disney does have for adults.

Are you confused, or is someone messing with your posts?

Perhaps if you re-read it you might find something of value.

No, I am not confused. In a previous post I asked what does Disney have to offer for adults that the other cruise lines do not. I replied to my question after looking and posting what I found. So the answer to my question is NOTHING. Meaning Disney has nothing more to offer for adults than other cruise lines offer. The other cruise lines such as Carnival and Royal and NCL have a lot more to offer in addition to what Disney offers. Other than No Mickey for the kids or the fire works.

2 hours ago, SuiteTraveler said:

twodaywonder, a Disney Cruise is a very different experience because the whole thing is oriented around various Disney characters.  They have a lot of character meet and greets, the shows are to Disney standard, the dining experiences are character meet and greets. They have shows with fancy special effects and fireworks. Whether or not all of this is pleasing to adults, depends entirely on the adult and if they are Disney fans or not.  There are some videos of a Disney Cruise by a well known vlogger, Tim Tracker, that may help you see how a Disney Cruise differs from other cruise lines - he did one video a day for I believe a 4 day cruise.  Here is the first one and you will find links to the next one in the right column on Youtube when you watch this video: 

Embarkation day: 

Yes a great cruise for kids with Micky. 

Just now, twodaywonder said:

Personally, everything shown is NOT worth 2-3 times the cost sometimes even more. My opinion only. No one no matter how hard you try will convince me any other way. Again. Different strokes. I have no problem with that. Just not for me. 

38 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Personally, everything shown is NOT worth 2-3 times the cost sometimes even more. My opinion only. No one no matter how hard you try will convince me any other way. Again. Different strokes. I have no problem with that. Just not for me. 

The only thing anyone was trying to convince you of is that your opinion of no value was just that your opinion., others may see value. You have finally admitted that so I guess all is done here.

19 minutes ago, declansdad said:

The only thing anyone was trying to convince you of is that your opinion of no value was just that your opinion., others may see value. You have finally admitted that so I guess all is done here.

What is your problem? I always said it was my pinion. I really hope you are happy now. You and no one else can convince me of anything. Get that straight, Disney is not worth anywhere near what they get out of your pocket. Period. And YES it is my opinion. PERIOD You do not agree,. That is just fine with me. Your money. Waste it your way.

10 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

What is your problem? I always said it was my pinion. I really hope you are happy now. You and no one else can convince me of anything. Get that straight, Disney is not worth anywhere near what they get out of your pocket. Period. And YES it is my opinion. PERIOD You do not agree,. That is just fine with me. Your money. Waste it your way.

That is not what you were saying but like I said you seem to realize that others can have an opinion that they think it has value so enjoy your cruising.

25 minutes ago, declansdad said:

That is not what you were saying but like I said you seem to realize that others can have an opinion that they think it has value so enjoy your cruising.

I advise you not to get into an argument with a person who is the sole judge of value.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 2:18 PM, twodaywonder said:

I would never pay there prices.

I suppose that means you've never even been on a Disney cruise?  You're pretty judgmental as to "value" for someone who's never used the product.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Disney is a niche cruise for Disney fans.  This is why there are only 3 Disney ships right now - it is a niche market.  Just because YOU don't see the value added, does not mean the value is not there for other adults who are Disney fans.  For them, it's not about the money, it is about the Disney experience. 

20 minutes ago, SuiteTraveler said:

Disney is a niche cruise for Disney fans.  This is why there are only 3 Disney ships right now - it is a niche market.  Just because YOU don't see the value added, does not mean the value is not there for other adults who are Disney fans.  For them, it's not about the money, it is about the Disney experience. 

DCL currently has 4 ships and 3 more on the way with the first one coming online in 2021.

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

What is the adult Disney experience. Please enlighten me. 

How about:  “places for grownups to escape”;  “adults only pool”;  “a pub showing live sporting events”;  “bar with live music”;  “nightclub with DJ and dancing”;  “the entertainment options are mind-blowing”;  “production shows”;  “costumes and choreography are simply spectacular”;  “enough adult humor to keep more mature cruisers interested”.

I have put quotes around those excerpts from YOUR POST #79 — do you not understand what you were saying?

I suspect that your REAL problem with Disney is simply the fact that it is outside of your budget.   Fine — but you should reconsider your definition of “value” — it does not just involve what you are willing to pay - —- it is better defined by what tens of thousands of other people are willing to pay.

You have no idea what my budget is. We cruise 4-6 a year. Bet you do not. I am not on a budget. Just frugel. Guess others are not. So be it. So first you have no right saying that.You do NOT know me. Secon,  everything you have said is available on many the other cruise lines. Maybe you never were on the others. I have 70 cruises I can relate to. How about you? You can justify it. Fine. I can't and that is final.

37 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

How about:  “places for grownups to escape”;  “adults only pool”;  “a pub showing live sporting events”;  “bar with live music”;  “nightclub with DJ and dancing”;  “the entertainment options are mind-blowing”;  “production shows”;  “costumes and choreography are simply spectacular”;  “enough adult humor to keep more mature cruisers interested”.

I have put quotes around those excerpts from YOUR POST #79 — do you not understand what you were saying?

I suspect that your REAL problem with Disney is simply the fact that it is outside of your budget.   Fine — but you should reconsider your definition of “value” — it does not just involve what you are willing to pay - —- it is better defined by what tens of thousands of other people are willing to pay.

I was givens some great advice yesterday I think I will pass along:

"I advise you not to get into an argument with a person who is the sole judge of value." 

;)