why is disney so expensive

luckyinpa

Now you have a problem. I am not a sole judge of value for anyone but myself. However you what to spend your money that is totally up to you. I see no value. If you do. Great! Do not go after me just because I do not see it. I real think what is happening here. You paid for a Disney cruise and now you all are trying to convince yourself that is was well worth it. maybe it was. There is no way yo can convince me of it. I do not see it and you do. Fine!

1 hour ago, declansdad said:

I was givens some great advice yesterday I think I will pass along:

"I advise you not to get into an argument with a person who is the sole judge of value." 

😉

Thank you for reminding me.  In a weak moment I couldn’t help responding to the request to “enlighten” someone who had asked about the “adult Disney experience”.  

My mistake.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Thank you for reminding me.  In a weak moment I couldn’t help responding to the request to “enlighten” someone who had asked about the “adult Disney experience”.  

My mistake.

“enlighten” Might want to think about that.

7 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

“enlighten” Might want to think about that.

I am finished here. You are going after me just to try to justify why you spend the money to do a Disney cruise. You spent the money and made that decision. Now live with it. Going after me will not change anything you already did. 

As I said. great for children if you can afford it or not. So are all the Royals oasis ships great for kids. A tremendous amount of things to do on those ships and others compared to a Disney ship. Disney cannot come close to the variety that is on those ships. All Disney has is mickey and friends. great. Go for it. Just do not use me as your escape goat.

7 hours ago, declansdad said:

DCL currently has 4 ships and 3 more on the way with the first one coming online in 2021.

That's awesome!  It is still a small niche cruise line, though, even with 7 ships.  But I'm happy to hear they are expanding.  I'm sure the new ships will be just wonderful!

3 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Now you have a problem. I am not a sole judge of value for anyone but myself. However you what to spend your money that is totally up to you. I see no value. If you do. Great! Do not go after me just because I do not see it. I real think what is happening here. You paid for a Disney cruise and now you all are trying to convince yourself that is was well worth it. maybe it was. There is no way yo can convince me of it. I do not see it and you do. Fine!

As info, while I enjoy Disney and have been to several of their parks, some multiple times over the years, I have never been on a Disney cruise and we really don't have any plans to go on a Disney Cruise - although if they build some really amazing and innovative ship, we might go.  I'm not a rabid Disney fan but I like Disney and I don't tend to decide something is definitely not for me without experiencing it first.  I'd rather leave my options open and if I see something I'm interested in, then I'll try it.  I can see how a Disney cruise would mean a lot to Disney fans.  There are many people my age who grew up going to the parks every year or whose families are Disney Vacation Club members or own a condo or house near Disney.  Many of these people have seen every Disney movie and know the names of every single Disney character.  Disney is where their families went for important celebrations and holidays.  It is a huge part of their lives and their family history.  For many people Mickey Mouse or Disney is deeply meaningful and an important part of their lives. These are the people who value a Disney cruise.   Many of these same people want their children and grandchildren and nieces and nephews to experience the magic that they experienced when they were growing up.  I don't know if you have ever been to a Disney property but the guest experience is elevated and completely Disney oriented.  Disney Cast Members stay in character at all times and nothing exists outside of the Disney universe. I'll never forget the time I was checking into the Port Orleans - Riverside Resort and the desk clerk started telling me about Tinkerbell flying from the Castle in the Magic Kingdom and what time we could see that that evening and next thing I knew she was telling me "I do believe in fairies!  I do believe in fairies!"   This is what Disney offers at their resorts and on a cruise which is different from any other cruise - a full Disney immersion experience.  Cast members (the crew) must follow an elaborate set of rules that only apply to Disney employees.  From appearance, to what they are allowed to say to guests, even down to how they interact with guests, how they point something out, everything is designed to enhance the guest experience. Disney fans even pitch in on these cruises and participate in Fish Extender groups where they give small presents to other members of their Fish Extender Group once during the cruise and the other members do the same things so a different gift (or several) show up every night in the Fish Extender they have on their cruise mailbox outside their cabin. https://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-cruise-line/fish-extender-basics.htm This may not be your cup of tea as it is very, very different to be in the Disney universe, and that's fine, but this full immersion and also the willingness of everyone onboard (both crew and guests) to be in full Disney mode for the duration of the cruise is what makes a Disney cruise special and different from any other cruise.  If you have not experienced Disney, I can understand how you would not know what I'm talking about. 

14 minutes ago, SuiteTraveler said:

As info, while I enjoy Disney and have been to several of their parks, some multiple times over the years, I have never been on a Disney cruise and we really don't have any plans to go on a Disney Cruise - although if they build some really amazing and innovative ship, we might go.  I'm not a rabid Disney fan but I like Disney and I don't tend to decide something is definitely not for me without experiencing it first.  I'd rather leave my options open and if I see something I'm interested in, then I'll try it.  I can see how a Disney cruise would mean a lot to Disney fans.  There are many people my age who grew up going to the parks every year or whose families are Disney Vacation Club members or own a condo or house near Disney.  Many of these people have seen every Disney movie and know the names of every single Disney character.  Disney is where their families went for important celebrations and holidays.  It is a huge part of their lives and their family history.  For many people Mickey Mouse or Disney is deeply meaningful and an important part of their lives. These are the people who value a Disney cruise.   Many of these same people want their children and grandchildren and nieces and nephews to experience the magic that they experienced when they were growing up.  I don't know if you have ever been to a Disney property but the guest experience is elevated and completely Disney oriented.  Disney Cast Members stay in character at all times and nothing exists outside of the Disney universe. I'll never forget the time I was checking into the Port Orleans - Riverside Resort and the desk clerk started telling me about Tinkerbell flying from the Castle in the Magic Kingdom and what time we could see that that evening and next thing I knew she was telling me "I do believe in fairies!  I do believe in fairies!"   This is what Disney offers at their resorts and on a cruise which is different from any other cruise - a full Disney immersion experience.  Cast members (the crew) must follow an elaborate set of rules that only apply to Disney employees.  From appearance, to what they are allowed to say to guests, even down to how they interact with guests, how they point something out, everything is designed to enhance the guest experience. Disney fans even pitch in on these cruises and participate in Fish Extender groups where they give small presents to other members of their Fish Extender Group once during the cruise and the other members do the same things so a different gift (or several) show up every night in the Fish Extender they have on their cruise mailbox outside their cabin. https://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-cruise-line/fish-extender-basics.htm This may not be your cup of tea as it is very, very different to be in the Disney universe, and that's fine, but this full immersion and also the willingness of everyone onboard (both crew and guests) to be in full Disney mode for the duration of the cruise is what makes a Disney cruise special and different from any other cruise.  If you have not experienced Disney, I can understand how you would not know what I'm talking about. 

I realize that opinions vary but I have been to a disney resort once - it was one time too many.

DON

3 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

I am finished here. You are going after me just to try to justify why you spend the money to do a Disney cruise. You spent the money and made that decision. Now live with it. Going after me will not change anything you already did. 

As I said. great for children if you can afford it or not. So are all the Royals oasis ships great for kids. A tremendous amount of things to do on those ships and others compared to a Disney ship. Disney cannot come close to the variety that is on those ships. All Disney has is mickey and friends. great. Go for it. Just do not use me as your escape goat.

Not one person on here has told you how to spend your money; only disputing that a DCL cruise has no value. As people have said, value is a personal opinion. You don't see value and that is fine, others do.

Even with my 'age advantaged' status, I think I would enjoy visiting the big "D" again.  Been several years.  Might have to make a long weekend drive down to Anaheim this summer.   

I hear a one day pass is $100 to $150.  I hope I get a senior discount.  It isn't like I'm going to be riding too many roller coasters.   At least we don't have to worry about how many E-tickets we can afford.  LOL

Disney parks and all that they have to offer are a wonderful experience and certainly worth it. Both for the little ones and the adults. Made a mistake one year and went for the 4th of July. Never again. Cram packed shoulder to shoulder everywhere. The fire works were awesome. Love the experience it offers for everyone. Just not he ship.

I found this thread enjoyable. As a central Floridian for the last 26 years  (without kids) I would pay more $$$ to not be on a Disney ship and avoid all the things that Disney offers. There is almost a resentment the same way floridians look at snowbirds associated with anything Disney. Despite this I still did compare the Disney ships with other options (RCI, Carnival, & NCL) as those are the 4 major cruise lines going out of the closes port to me (45 min). I was astonished that Disney costs twice as much as RCI - Harmony despite comparing photo's and options on the ships Harmony seems to hands down offer more (especially if you slightly resent Disney characters).

I have coworkers that almost exclusively cruise Disney (and they don't have kids either) it puzzles me but to each their own. In the meantime I'll use the extra $$$ I saved by not going on a Disney cruise to get some great excursions, maybe a dinner package, etc... oh and most importantly I get to go on 2 cruises for every one they go on!  

2 hours ago, basictek said:

I found this thread enjoyable. As a central Floridian for the last 26 years  (without kids) I would pay more $$$ to not be on a Disney ship and avoid all the things that Disney offers. There is almost a resentment the same way floridians look at snowbirds associated with anything Disney. Despite this I still did compare the Disney ships with other options (RCI, Carnival, & NCL) as those are the 4 major cruise lines going out of the closes port to me (45 min). I was astonished that Disney costs twice as much as RCI - Harmony despite comparing photo's and options on the ships Harmony seems to hands down offer more (especially if you slightly resent Disney characters).

I have coworkers that almost exclusively cruise Disney (and they don't have kids either) it puzzles me but to each their own. In the meantime I'll use the extra $$$ I saved by not going on a Disney cruise to get some great excursions, maybe a dinner package, etc... oh and most importantly I get to go on 2 cruises for every one they go on!  

Thank you. Well said.👍

5 minutes ago, declansdad said:

It was but it once again points our the people value things differently.

So what. I agree with them. basictek covered your point. So why the remark? You have a problem with that. So be it. It is your money. Waste it as you see fit. Not me.

• Haha 1