Argentina Reciprocity Fee / Tourist Fee

travelprof2013

It has been confirmed by the Argentine Embassy in Ottawa, Canada that anyone travelling on a Canadian passport must pay a Reciprocity Fee (or Tourist Fee) in the amount of USD 78.00 prior to entry into Argentina.

The fee is paid online and the receipt must be printed and kept with the passport and produced upon entry into Argentina. Passengers may also be asked to produce this information at time of flight check-in.

Persons travelling on an American passport do not, at the present time, have to pay this fee. However, it was suggested that this situation could change at any time.

Persons travelling on other passports should perhaps check to see if this is applicable to them.

When querying NCL I was told that nobody had to pay this fee. This was incorrect information.

For any Canadians travellers here is the link to the site for payment of this fee -

http://cmrea.mrecic.gov.ar/en/content/reciprocity-fee-tourism-fee-and-visas

Lynn Olsen

Good post. And a good reminder never to rely on what a cruise line CSR tells you when it comes to entry requirements.

We never rely on the cruise line or blogs to provide current information on entry. Besides, in many counties the price of entry varies considerably by the country of one's passport. And even then, the fees can change based on either a general fee change or the fee depending on where/how the visa/entry doc is purchased.

It has been confirmed by the Argentine Embassy in Ottawa, Canada that anyone travelling on a Canadian passport must pay a Reciprocity Fee (or Tourist Fee) in the amount of USD 78.00 prior to entry into Argentina.

The fee is paid online and the receipt must be printed and kept with the passport and produced upon entry into Argentina. Passengers may also be asked to produce this information at time of flight check-in.

Persons travelling on an American passport do not, at the present time, have to pay this fee. However, it was suggested that this situation could change at any time.

Persons travelling on other passports should perhaps check to see if this is applicable to them.

When querying NCL I was told that nobody had to pay this fee. This was incorrect information.

For any Canadians travellers here is the link to the site for payment of this fee -

http://cmrea.mrecic.gov.ar/en/content/reciprocity-fee-tourism-fee-and-visas

Lynn Olsen

At least the process seems straightforward. We are looking into the Brazilian requirements (a reciprocal thing for US citizens) and have to jump through all kinds of hoops to get a visa. Crazy.

At least the process seems straightforward. We are looking into the Brazilian requirements (a reciprocal thing for US citizens) and have to jump through all kinds of hoops to get a visa. Crazy.

Based on personal experience, I would recommend that you use a visa service to obtain Brazilian visas, unless you live in or close to a city where a Brazilian Embassy is located. The service gives very explicit instructions to assure that you have covered every kind of hoop required by Brazil before submitting your application. I felt it was definitely worth the fee they charged.

And I'd suggest you start early, because it took almost 2 months for mine to arrive, even with the visa service! My application was supposed to go to the embassy in Miami (based on where I live), but due to a very large backlog of applications there, the visa service was able to get it sent to D.C.'s embassy instead.

FYI, there are not two Embassies in one country. The Embassy is located in the country's capital city. Other cites may have Consulates, that provide certain services. In some cases, different Consulates in a country may administer different types of visas (tourist, work, immigrant).

So in Miami is a Brazilian Consulate. In DC is the Brazilian Embassy, which has a Consular section doing things like visas. In some cases, the Embassy does not have a Consular section, for all such services, you have to go to the Consulate in another city. The US Embassy to the Netherlands is in The Hague, but all Consular services are administered at the US Consulate in Amsterdam.

Just so you know. :)

FYI, there are not two Embassies in one country. The Embassy is located in the country's capital city. Other cites may have Consulates, that provide certain services. In some cases, different Consulates in a country may administer different types of visas (tourist, work, immigrant).

So in Miami is a Brazilian Consulate. In DC is the Brazilian Embassy, which has a Consular section doing things like visas. In some cases, the Embassy does not have a Consular section, for all such services, you have to go to the Consulate in another city. The US Embassy to the Netherlands is in The Hague, but all Consular services are administered at the US Consulate in Amsterdam.

Just so you know. :)

Thank you for the clarification and differentiation of the terminology.

Based on personal experience, I would recommend that you use a visa service to obtain Brazilian visas, unless you live in or close to a city where a Brazilian Embassy is located. The service gives very explicit instructions to assure that you have covered every kind of hoop required by Brazil before submitting your application. I felt it was definitely worth the fee they charged.

And I'd suggest you start early, because it took almost 2 months for mine to arrive, even with the visa service! My application was supposed to go to the embassy in Miami (based on where I live), but due to a very large backlog of applications there, the visa service was able to get it sent to D.C.'s embassy instead.

Thanks. We had already come to that conclusion. Looks like we better get moving on this. Appreciate the heads up.