Kids soda package and why I need to purchase them with my adult beverage packages?

tallnthensome

My wife and I always buy a drink package for ourselves on all of our cruises. We are sailing the Seaside in April, first time on MSC with our two young daughters. It states that I MUST buy my kids the soda package if I am to buy the adult beverage package for us. My kids, wife, and I do not like soda and never ever drink it and it's $125.00 for this and a total waste of money. Has anyone sailed MSC with kids and worked around this when buying adult drink packages on MSC? Can I just add the adult packages to my shopping cart online and not the kids soda package? What will happen? Problems? Nothing? .... Am I out of luck here?

There's no getting around it. It's to prevent you from using your package to get drinks for others in your cabin - whether you would do it or not is a moot point.
I understand that. Other lines do not require you to do so. When you are on their (MSC) website making purchases to enhance your cruise like drink packages and such there is the disclaimer that says you have to buy the kids soft drink package. When selecting your purchases you have to add them to your shopping cart for purchases. It appears I can just add the adult beverage packages for my wife and I and check out. Nothing for the kids soda package is added to the cart automatically, no pop up warnings, etc. If I don't select it for the kids and pay for my adult beverage packages only what will happen later? Nothing? Will they refuse my purchase even after paying for it? Their website is so screwed up I have my doubts that it matters or if there are any negative consequences if I don't purchase the kids soda package. I have never been forced more or less to purchase something we don't want or use on a cruise before.

You are not "being forced" to buy anything! Just because other cruise lines don't have the rule doesn't mean anything! This is MSC and you play by their rules or don't sail with them if you don't like it!
Are you the company spokesman or something :rolleyes: ?. Yes, being told to pay for something extra you don't want in order to purchase something else is "being forced". If I was told that my kids had to order sushi, which they hate, in order for my wife and I to order sushi that would be "forced" as well. It's a stupid rule no matter how you look at it in my opinion.

Are you the company spokesman or something :rolleyes: ?. Yes, being told to pay for something extra you don't want in order to purchase something else is "being forced". If I was told that my kids had to order sushi, which they hate, in order for my wife and I to order sushi that would be "forced" as well. It's a stupid rule no matter how you look at it in my opinion.

You're not comparing like with like in that analogy. Nor is the rule "stupid" just because you don't like it. It's there to prevent people abusing the package.

On Celebrity, both my DH and I had to hand over our cruisecards when ordering drinks, despite the fact that we both had to have the drinks package. MSC doesn't require you to do this, simply because their staff know that you'll both have the package.

I must say, I'm surprised to learn that other cruise companies don't require you to get packages for children when you're availing of one. How is that policed, I wonder? Or can you order drinks for children on your package?

You're not comparing like with like in that analogy. Nor is the rule "stupid" just because you don't like it. It's there to prevent people abusing the package.

On Celebrity, both my DH and I had to hand over our cruisecards when ordering drinks, despite the fact that we both had to have the drinks package. MSC doesn't require you to do this, simply because their staff know that you'll both have the package.

I must say, I'm surprised to learn that other cruise companies don't require you to get packages for children when you're availing of one. How is that policed, I wonder? Or can you order drinks for children on your package?

I've had a drink package on Royal, NCL, and Cheers on Carnival last year. None of them make you buy a soda package for kids. Why? Because they apparently do know it's stupid to do so and perhaps MSC will eventually as well. If my kids want a drink, I just buy their drink of choice and it's not $125. If they want people to purchase drink packages then making people buy kids packages as well surely turns people off. What can be a decent deal with the package is lost on wasted soda packages. Oh well, complaining isn't going to change anything so I guess that's all I have to say .........

Once again, MSC makes their own rules (the drink package requirement will not be the only thing that might be a shock to your system if you have only cruised the USA entry level cruise lines).

If you don't like the rules, you are free to cruise elsewhere.

• Like 2

How does the price of the Seaside cruise compare with similar on Royal, NCL or Carnival for the same dates/cruise length and how much would equivalent drink package prices cost for 2 adults? IINM, they're much pricier on Royal and NCL (I don't know anything about Carnival). I'd wager that the prices of drinks packages on MSC for all 4 - 2 adults & 2 children - wouldn't cost more.

How does the price of the Seaside cruise compare with similar on Royal, NCL or Carnival for the same dates/cruise length and how much would equivalent drink package prices cost for 2 adults? IINM, they're much pricier on Royal and NCL (I don't know anything about Carnival). I'd wager that the prices of drinks packages on MSC for all 4 - 2 adults & 2 children - wouldn't cost more.
You are correct all around here. The price was higher on Royal the drink packages are free on (NCL) perks program. We paid $900 for Cheers on our 8 day cruise on the Vista for DW and I. The price of the cruise on MSC is better and the drink package would be about $850 for the four of us on the Seaside. Don't worry, I'm just complaining because I can. My kids drink water and iced tea. Still not happy about paying $125 for unused soda. Again, I'm just bitchin' so no worries ......

The non-alcoholic drink packages cover much more than soda.

Besides all types of non-alcoholic beverages (including bottled water), it covers all types of specialty coffees (decaf versions available) and teas, juices, milkshakes and what they term as take away in cups ice cream.

The take away ice cream is not the soft serve also available for free, but the wonderful gelatos and sorbets that are made on the ship. There is a charge for them.

I am sure your children will find something in the package that they will enjoy.

The non-alcoholic drinks package is only for 12-20 year-olds, Homosassa:

ALL-INCLUSIVE CLASSIC DRINK PACKAGE CHILD Drink all you want, where you want, in total freedom and with a light heart! Unlimited non-alcoholic cocktails, smoothies, milkshakes, canned soft drinks, energy drinks, Premium mineral water, fruit juices, coffee-based drinks, hot chocolate delights and takeaway ice cream in a cone or cup. The drinks included in package can be consumed in all bars, self-service buffet and restaurants including specialty restaurants. This package can be sold only to MINORS 12-20 YEARS who are part of the group/family with all-inclusive package code 534 or 536 TERMS & CONDITIONS: Same as Adult version of the package

MSC has introduced a separate drinks package for 3-11 year olds:

ALL-INCLUSIVE SOFT DRINK PACKAGE Thirst-quenching experience for our youngest guests! Unlimited sodas, mineral water and fruit juices. The drinks included in package can be consumed in all bars, self-service buffet and restaurants including specialty restaurants. This package can be sold only to children 3-11 YEARS who are part of the group/family with all-inclusive package code 534 or 536 TERMS & CONDITIONS: Same as Adult version of the package

I definitely feel your pain ( in the wallet). We will be on Seaside in July. My husband and his daughter drink. Me and my daughter do not. To get them their alcohol ( not just a handful of coupons) my daughter and myself will have to get the same packages as them. A lot of money for 4 people and only 2 will be getting their money's worth. On well...I'll have to drink a lot of milkshakes and soda😁

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

We had to buy packages for everyone in our cabins last year on NCL... just sayin’.

For my family vacation MEANS drinking soda as much as we want to. I’m still at a loss as to how to make this work for us on MSC... we have the Fantastica package on

Seaside and get some... but I’m just now hearing no more coupon books?....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had to buy packages for everyone in our cabins last year on NCL... just sayin’.

So glad you did, too, or I'd have been left with the impression that only MSC insisted on this.

On the subject of the coupons, it seems ridiculous to include 12 of them in the Fantastica bookings (which have no use if you opt for a drinks package) yet you can't supplement them by purchasing extra if 12 aren't enough (which certainly wouldn't be for us!).

Just as an FYI - they're still available for us to book on our March 2019 Divina sailing.

Just curious why you paid for the drink packages when the free beverage package is always included on NCL minus the service charge? Are you talking about soda packages?

Just curious why you paid for the drink packages when the free beverage package is always included on NCL minus the service charge? Are you talking about soda packages?

Hmmmm.

Firstly, it is soda packages.

Secondly, even the alcohol package it not always a given. It is often an option, but there are other perks to choose from.

Thirdly, the perk when we booked in 3/2015 for 5/2016 was unlimited specialty dining, which we thoroughly enjoyed.

Finally, I️ think the “free” package is often for only guests 1 & 2. They are routinely changing though.

We booked our Western Med Cruise back in May for this upcoming April, and with our Fantastica Balcony booking it said it came with 12 vouchers for drinks for all four of us in our Cabin. Two adults, two children. Did someone say they are no longer offering these? I thought I read that somewhere.

We booked our Western Med Cruise back in May for this upcoming April, and with our Fantastica Balcony booking it said it came with 12 vouchers for drinks for all four of us in our Cabin. Two adults, two children. Did someone say they are no longer offering these? I thought I read that somewhere.

You still get them with the Fantastica rooms. The vouchers others were referring to were additional vouchers you could buy for drinks at a discount.

I vaguely remember someone mentioning on here not too long ago that the 12 vouchers promotion with Fantastica bookings was being done away with. I didn't pay too much heed at the time as we don't get it anyway, so it didn't impact me.

Couple that with the inability to purchase the 18 voucher package on Seaside bookings and you'd be forgiven for thinking that MSC are phasing vouchers out, altogether. Having said that, the option to purchase the 18 vouchers is still showing on my Divina, March 2019, sailing. :confused:

I’m disappointed. I finally had a chance to check my booking. We have mealtime dining... but as far as all the other hours of the day go I’m at a loss.

We are a family of 8. It would cost me $1700 to get the all inclusive beverage packages just to drink soda as much as we’d like. Clearly it will be cheaper to just buy pop a la carte, but that’s a net negative for my kiddos. This cruise was incredibly inexpensive, but the idea of a bar bill at the end isn’t pleasant.