Tropicana’s in Costa Maya

netwrks

We were there the last week of August on Allure of Seas. Took taxi into Mahahual and got a seat at Tropicante with no prior reservations. Great service and beach was well cleaned and perfect for swimming. I think they probably get a lot of no shows since they don’t require a deposit and people get spooked of talk of sea grass and decide NOT to venture into town. We were the third group of customers there and left in the early afternoon and there still were spots available.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were there the last week of August on Allure of Seas. Took taxi into Mahahual and got a seat at Tropicante with no prior reservations. Great service and beach was well cleaned and perfect for swimming. I think they probably get a lot of no shows since they don’t require a deposit and people get spooked of talk of sea grass and decide NOT to venture into town. We were the third group of customers there and left in the early afternoon and there still were spots available.

Sea grass is always there. The problem has been sargassum. How was it last week - is it diminishing any?

Just curious if the Allure was the only ship in when you were there? And could you tell if other clubs, like Krazy Lobster or El Faro had crowds or few people? Steve Uhl has complained this year that "low season" crowds have been sparse. But thought that was due to fewer longer staying guests in the area and fewer ships in port at any time.

Just curious if the Allure was the only ship in when you were there? And could you tell if other clubs, like Krazy Lobster or El Faro had crowds or few people? Steve Uhl has complained this year that "low season" crowds have been sparse. But thought that was due to fewer longer staying guests in the area and fewer ships in port at any time.

I would think a lot of it has been caused by the seaweed either in reality, or people’s anticipation. It was quite bad in March, when we were there, and from reports I have read it has only got worse.

It would be interesting to know if more people are staying on the ships or in the port. The port has been quite tastefully renovated, for a cruise port area, but the lack of free tram to the port has also caused a problem for many and may have contributed to people not leaving the ship.

Allure was the only ship in port when we were there, but 6000 passengers is a pretty busy day for costa maya. It seemed that there were a few other places at about half capacity, tropicante probably closer to 75%. We talked to passengers on board who cancelled their all inclusive beach breaks because of seaweed talk. We suggested for them to do a quick, cheap taxi trip to Mahahual and decide if it was worth staying based on what they saw. We actually only had plans to stroll the male on and stay for a drink or two but it was typically great so we stayed for 4 hours!

Allure was the only ship in port when we were there, but 6000 passengers is a pretty busy day for costa maya. It seemed that there were a few other places at about half capacity, tropicante probably closer to 75%. We talked to passengers on board who cancelled their all inclusive beach breaks because of seaweed talk. We suggested for them to do a quick, cheap taxi trip to Mahahual and decide if it was worth staying based on what they saw. We actually only had plans to stroll the male on and stay for a drink or two but it was typically great so we stayed for 4 hours!

Thanks for your reply. So seaweed was tolerable or being cleared?

Seaweed was almost totally cleared from many of the restaurants/bars on the malecon, tropixante and the restaurants to the north were very clear. They installed netting off shore by about 100 feet to keep the beach clear during the day. I suspect some of the issue with beach break resorts south of town is build up and no place to put it without heavy machinery, but “in town” it appeared that most restaurants had multiple guys with wheelbarrows bringing loads away from the beach to be scooped and transported by a backhoe and dump truck. When we were there (early off the ship) we saw the tail end of that operation in front of tropicante but enjoyed a clear beachfront for the rest of our stay.

Seaweed was almost totally cleared from many of the restaurants/bars on the malecon, tropixante and the restaurants to the north were very clear. They installed netting off shore by about 100 feet to keep the beach clear during the day. I suspect some of the issue with beach break resorts south of town is build up and no place to put it without heavy machinery, but “in town” it appeared that most restaurants had multiple guys with wheelbarrows bringing loads away from the beach to be scooped and transported by a backhoe and dump truck. When we were there (early off the ship) we saw the tail end of that operation in front of tropicante but enjoyed a clear beachfront for the rest of our stay.

Thanks that’s good to know. First real report of how they were dealing with it I have read. We were there in January and February. In January there was nothing but by the end of February it was becoming quite a problem.

Sea grass is always there. The problem has been sargassum. How was it last week - is it diminishing any?

Oops. Yes I was taking about sargassum/“seaweed”, not seagrass. The sea grass isn’t the issue rolling up on shore.

• 2 months later...

Or give him a call.

Try filling out the form.

http://www.sandalsandskis.com/contact.html

Unless something has gone terribly wrong in the past month, the email address on the page and on what you listed in your post is the one he and I used to communicate back and forth in October.

In addition to email or the website I believe you can send him messages through the social media site that I cannot mention on here but is not the kind of book you need to face the ocean.  That’s how I communicated with Steve.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2018 at 2:39 PM, BBowCruiser said:

We were there Jan. 16th. Beers were $4, margarita was $6. We also got a free shot of tequila and a huge plate of chicken nachos (two of us couldn't finish it) for $12.

Will they make margaritas without alcohol if requested? My enjoy the taste of margaritas but are avoiding alcohol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2019 at 9:41 PM, happywhencruising said:

Will they make margaritas without alcohol if requested? My enjoy the taste of margaritas but are avoiding alcohol.

Yes.  You have to try the guacamole - best ever!

5 hours ago, Malak04 said:

Could anyone advise if they have lockers there?  We were wondering, just in case we decided to do the snorkel trip - we don't want to leave our bags unattended.

No lockers that I saw. You can ask your waiter to store your stuff. They are very accommodating.