Cruise Critic Community
Saint Greg

Walk to port

Thanks to everyone who shared maps, steps, and videos. They were easy to follow and we figured a piece of cake. Then after much back and forth we changed hotels and decided to Lyft to the terminal next year. We have wheeled luggage on other trips including the weight of Mexican pottery but gee whiz I am winking at 70 so I said enough already! LOL BTW Happy New Year everyone!

1 hour ago, ednabcr said:

*Personally* is the key word here. I personally hate the noise, stink, and old buildings in the older parts of the city.

You caught me there.  I must admit that nearly everything I say is, indeed, my opinion.  Unlike your factual characterization  that hotel away from the port are noisy, stinky, and old.  Does that factual evaluation include the Roosevelt, the Monteleone, the Astor Crown Plaza, the Sheraton New Orleans, the Ritz Carlton, and the Royal Sonesta?  

11 minutes ago, Visigoth said:

You caught me there.  I must admit that nearly everything I say is, indeed, my opinion.  Unlike your factual characterization  that hotel away from the port are noisy, stinky, and old.  Does that factual evaluation include the Roosevelt, the Monteleone, the Astor Crown Plaza, the Sheraton New Orleans, the Ritz Carlton, and the Royal Sonesta?  

I, sir, a humble lower-middle class cog, can't afford any of those hotels and so my options in the more culturally and culinary-rich, exciting blocks of the city are, indeed, decrepit, stinky, and loud. I wish you continued blessings in this promising new year. 

The map and video are so helpful to show how to walk from Riverwalk Outlet mall to Carnival Erato Cruise terminal.  We will stay at French Quarter and plan to walk to the port in August but hope the streetcar will be up running at least to Julia terminal so that walk can be little shorter.  

Saint Gregg,  ( or anyone who will answer) when you are walking back from the ship to the Hilton I see elevators " to shops and dining area" Is there a way to take the elevator and bypass the esclators? 

4 minutes ago, bcruisin2alaska said:

Saint Gregg,  ( or anyone who will answer) when you are walking back from the ship to the Hilton I see elevators " to shops and dining area" Is there a way to take the elevator and bypass the esclators? 

yep. If you look at the first post in this thread..the elevator in the picture takes you to the same place as the escalator. I believe I even posted a wheel chair accessible video of me using all of the elevators.

We were there back in August and did walk to the port from Wyndham resort (double tree is across 1 block).  The  walking path is exactly what the pictures/video shows.  No matter where you are from, just go to the outlet mall and walk to the food court on 2nd floor and you will see the door existing the mall, turn right, follow the path to the ship.  Easy money.  Few factors need to be considered:  hot and humid weather can make your walk little difficult and if you are with kids, you need to be able to pull and lift your luggage when you get to the staircase, no elevator there, walking thru some foot and car traffic when you hit the ground at the port.  All can take good 25 minutes.  

12 hours ago, Learner7107 said:

We were there back in August and did walk to the port from Wyndham resort (double tree is across 1 block).  The  walking path is exactly what the pictures/video shows.  No matter where you are from, just go to the outlet mall and walk to the food court on 2nd floor and you will see the door existing the mall, turn right, follow the path to the ship.  Easy money.  Few factors need to be considered:  hot and humid weather can make your walk little difficult and if you are with kids, you need to be able to pull and lift your luggage when you get to the staircase, no elevator there, walking thru some foot and car traffic when you hit the ground at the port.  All can take good 25 minutes.  

Thanks for the reply Learner7107.  What I am looking at is a way to take the elevators from the food court level to the level the Hilton Riverside is on..  Walking up the stair, not on the path. We will be coming FROM THE SHIP.  Thanks for your info.

Okay I may have missed something. We are going to Uber from our hotel. Will we still have to maneuver those awful steps?!

2 hours ago, ricew001 said:

Okay I may have missed something. We are going to Uber from our hotel. Will we still have to maneuver those awful steps?!

Heck no. You'll be dropped off out front. This is for people who wish to walk from their hotel instead of taking an uber.