Medical Equipment in Cabin

TechKnowBabble

This may sound like a ridiculous question, BUT here goes anyway :p I have a CPAP machine for my sleep apnea and wish to express to my cabin steward that I don't want the machine (and surrounding area on the nightstand) disturbed. I am just fearful that the machine might be damaged while they are cleaning. I'm sure that most of the cabin stewards have seen such a machine at one time or another. I wish to express this to them and not make them feel upset that I have addressed the issue. Any recommendations? I certainly don't want them to think that I don't appreciate their hard work.

I have found that if I talk to most of them nicely, they will do as I request which is leave the area around my medical stuff alone. I usually give a small tip to assage any feelings of hurt. Most understand that I do trust them but the stuff can not be replaced well at sea. I would also talk to the Head Housekeeper and explain it to them so that the Steward dose not get into trouble for not cleaning an area.

I have found that if I talk to most of them nicely, they will do as I request which is leave the area around my medical stuff alone. I usually give a small tip to assage any feelings of hurt. Most understand that I do trust them but the stuff can not be replaced well at sea. I would also talk to the Head Housekeeper and explain it to them so that the Steward dose not get into trouble for not cleaning an area.

Thanks I just wanted to make sure my equipment was safe AND I still have a good relationship with our cabin steward. The last cruise we had our cabin steward hugged me and kissed me on the cheek when we left. She made me cry, she was a sweetheart.

My husband sleeps with a cpap machine also. We have been on 14 cruises and have never had a problem with the room steward cleaning around it. We take our own extension cord so if there is no outlet near the bed we can plug the machine in but am careful to unplug the extension cord before leaving the cabin in the morning. We have never talked to a room steward concerning the machine. They have all been very careful not to disturb it.

My husband sleeps with a cpap machine also. We have been on 14 cruises and have never had a problem with the room steward cleaning around it. We take our own extension cord so if there is no outlet near the bed we can plug the machine in but am careful to unplug the extension cord before leaving the cabin in the morning. We have never talked to a room steward concerning the machine. They have all been very careful not to disturb it.

I assume that you disconnect the hose and perhaps place that in the closet out of the way or something? Thanks for the information. This will be the first cruise with the machine :-)

My husband also uses a CPAP. He would disassemble it in the morning and it fit it the drawers in the nightstand. He always brings an extension cord with him, too, and removes it, too, in the morning so no one can accidently trip over it. I think the cabin stewards are very used to seeing these machines.

I assume that you disconnect the hose and perhaps place that in the closet out of the way or something? Thanks for the information. This will be the first cruise with the machine :-)

I have cruised with my CPAP machine numerous times and have never had a problem (without even advising the staff). I just make sure to coil the hose up and place the mask with hose on top of the machine; no need to put it all away. My CPAP also has a humidification chamber on it, and I have been able to obtain distilled water for it from the ship's hospital for a nominal charge, and not have to worry about carrying my own gallon or two onboard. If you are concerned about this, you can contact the medical special services department prior to your cruise to verify that this is still possible.

My husband has taken his CPAP on the past 6 cruises. The crew has provided the extension cord on half of them--as soon as they knew what it was for. Our room stewards tucked the cord under the bed. They took better care of the equipment and cord then DH and I do!

Dave and Elaine

My husband is taking his CPAP machine on our next cruise, for the first time. He has a humidifier with it that needs distilled water. What have others done about this? Do you buy a couple of gallons of distilled water in the departing city?

TecKnowBabble we do not take the cpap machine apart in the morning. I just leave it on the nightstand. The only thing we remove is the extension cord just so we don't trip over it during the day. It has never been a problem.

ChuckL - Thanks for the advice about the distilled water from the ship's infirmary. We have always schlepped a gallon of water aboard with us and it's such a pain in the neck (or lower) to carry it with all the other things we are lugging. We always leave what is left in the bottle instead of taking it home with us. Do you remember what they charged you in the infirmary?

Hubby uses a BiPap and heated humidifier. We have sailed many times just using the ship's water out of the bathroom faucet. It IS distilled water! He has not had any problems with odors, sediment or discoloration in the water chamber. In the past the ship has supplied ship's distilled water at no charge, then we found out the same water was coming out of the faucet! So it's so much easier not to have to bother the cabin steward with getting the gallon of water for us. We have sailed as many as 24 days using the bathroom water. But if you feel better about using a bottle of water you can get it with no charge at all. The infirmary wanted $20 for a litre of sterile water--that's NOT the kind of water you need for the humidifier!

ChuckL - Thanks for the advice about the distilled water from the ship's infirmary. We have always schlepped a gallon of water aboard with us and it's such a pain in the neck (or lower) to carry it with all the other things we are lugging. We always leave what is left in the bottle instead of taking it home with us. Do you remember what they charged you in the infirmary?

It wasn't on Celebrity, but I only had to pay a couple of dollars for distilled water.

Char...what is a BiPap? My DH uses the CPAP and his nose freezes all the time! How does the heater work? is that a seperate unit or ? ...he has to sleep with the room so warm/ and the bed that it's overwheming for me!!! We have never taken our own extension cord..not a bad idea! but have always asked when needed and no problem! LuAnn

Char...what is a BiPap? My DH uses the CPAP and his nose freezes all the time! How does the heater work? is that a seperate unit or ? ...he has to sleep with the room so warm/ and the bed that it's overwheming for me!!! We have never taken our own extension cord..not a bad idea! but have always asked when needed and no problem! LuAnn

Hey LuAnn :D

A BiPap (bi-level positive airway pressure) adjusts to the exhalations and reduces the back pressure when you breathe out. The CPAP pressure is constant and doesn't change.

His doctor can write a prescription for a heated humidifier. Some insurance companies don't cover them, but it's worth the $200 to have it even if you have to pay out of pocket. There are several different kinds and your supplier will know which one is best for your hubby's machine. The way they work is by heating the water and the "PAP" machine is hooked to it so the air passes over the heated water. The air is then warmer and has moisture so as to keep from drying out the delicate membranes in the nose & throat. You can look on the internet at cpapman.com to see the various types avaiable and learn a bit more about them.

We always take an extension cord and power strip for the equipment. Better to have what you know works, than to be caught without it when you need it. :p

I've just returned home from the Zenith. Again no problem with taking my CPAP. Actually on the Zenith the windows are recessed so the CPAP fit right there and out of the way, allowing use of the whole nightstand! After 4 years I've just been switched to a BiPAP, but decided to take the CPAP instead because it is somewhat lighter.

Not sure if anyone is interested, but here's what I have done about transporting my equipment. They come in a nice carrying case, however I have found it a pain (literally, since I had to carry it instead of roll it to the gate) lugging it on a plane along with my other carry-on's. So, I found a great combo rolling carry-on bag at SAM's with a back pac that actually attaches to it. Since you are always allowed two carry-ons (because you have medical equipment) this two piece set-up works great!!! I just put the machine and tubing into my carry-on and pack my things around it. I take extra care with the mask and haven't had any problems at all.

Thanks for the tip about water out of the tap on the ship. I never thought of that! Only problem would be pre and post stays. My old machine doesn't take that much water so what I've done is put the distilled water in a empty bottle of bottled water. Coming home I drain out what I haven't used which allows more space for souveniers too!;) My new machine with a heated humidifer does seem to take more water, so I'm not sure what I'll do on our trip to Alaska in May since we'll be doing an 8 night post inland tour so that will need more water.

Great thread, so thanks for starting it TechKnowBabble!

Not sure if anyone is interested, but here's what I have done about transporting my equipment. They come in a nice carrying case, however I have found it a pain (literally, since I had to carry it instead of roll it to the gate) lugging it on a plane along with my other carry-on's. So, I found a great combo rolling carry-on bag at SAM's with a back pac that actually attaches to it. Since you are always allowed two carry-ons (because you have medical equipment) this two piece set-up works great!!! I just put the machine and tubing into my carry-on and pack my things around it. I take extra care with the mask and haven't had any problems at all.

Thanks for the tip about water out of the tap on the ship. I never thought of that! Only problem would be pre and post stays. My old machine doesn't take that much water so what I've done is put the distilled water in a empty bottle of bottled water. Coming home I drain out what I haven't used which allows more space for souveniers too!;) My new machine with a heated humidifer does seem to take more water, so I'm not sure what I'll do on our trip to Alaska in May since we'll be doing an 8 night post inland tour so that will need more water.

Great thread, so thanks for starting it TechKnowBabble!

Question....does that mean two carryons AND a personal item??? I was going to try to 'wedge' the cpap carrying case AND my camera bag into a LARGER carryon, then have another one for passport, paperwork, snacks, etc.

My pleasure....I'm always 'thinking thinking' so I come up with these 'odd' questions that most people don't. ;) Hope you had a great time on your recent cruise :D

Question....does that mean two carryons AND a personal item??? I was going to try to 'wedge' the cpap carrying case AND my camera bag into a LARGER carryon, then have another one for passport, paperwork, snacks, etc.

My pleasure....I'm always 'thinking thinking' so I come up with these 'odd' questions that most people don't. ;) Hope you had a great time on your recent cruise :D

Technically, yes, you can have a 2nd carryon with a medical assistive device. However, it's so much easier to consolodate so as not to have too many things to keep track of. If there are 2 of you and you carried the limit plus the medical bag, that would mean 5 bags to manage and find space for in the overhead bin or under the seat. We usually have a total of 2 carryons and my large travel purse. Enough for us :D

Technically, yes, you can have a 2nd carryon with a medical assistive device. However, it's so much easier to consolodate so as not to have too many things to keep track of. If there are 2 of you and you carried the limit plus the medical bag, that would mean 5 bags to manage and find space for in the overhead bin or under the seat. We usually have a total of 2 carryons and my large travel purse. Enough for us :D

I think that I'll try to still put the camera bag and the cpap in the one carryon together....I'm figuring that way they can also protect each other.

I was going to take the cpap and humidifier, etc in the carry on bag that the company gave us but it's pretty small for everything that must go into the bag. My husband uses a wheelchair when we travel so I just might take 2 carryons and let him hold the one on his chair. We're going and coming with friends so they will help. Oops, just going not coming home. I pay porters a lot of money in tips for helping us out. That's what I'll do. After all, it's my vacation too.

I'd like to point out this CPAP machine for all who travel with their CPAP units:

Puritan Bennett Goodknight 420g.

It weighs only 1.5 lbs, works on 110V (US Current) and 220V (Europe and other parts of the world), and the best part is that it is essentially SILENT! It was bought as a travel machine, but due to the silence, it has become my main machine. I love it more than I can say.

Here's one place to get it: http://www.cpap.com/productpage/puritan-bennett-goodknight-420g-cpap.html

There are many other places as well.

Good luck

I'd like to point out this CPAP machine for all who travel with their CPAP units:

Puritan Bennett Goodknight 420g.

It weighs only 1.5 lbs, works on 110V (US Current) and 220V (Europe and other parts of the world), and the best part is that it is essentially SILENT! It was bought as a travel machine, but due to the silence, it has become my main machine. I love it more than I can say.

Here's one place to get it: http://www.cpap.com/productpage/puritan-bennett-goodknight-420g-cpap.html

There are many other places as well.

Good luck

Seems like a nice little machine...but I didn't see any option for a humidifier which is ESSENTIAL for me. perhaps it will help someone else out.

Archived