What do you want to know about St. Maarten/St. Martin?

We're checking, godrecognisegods. I was told the first ship would be calling on December 4 and that it would be Tui, but Marella is part of Tui...so checking.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

Would it be fair to say that the Marella Discovery will not be stopping at St Maarten on the 3rd of December?

Thanks

We're checking, godrecognisegods. I was told the first ship would be calling on December 4 and that it would be Tui, but Marella is part of Tui...so checking.

Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn. We are scheduled to get there on the 5th of December not the 3rd (my mistake). You reckon the 4th but that's probably our ship arriving early. What will it be like there? Any ideas?

Hi, gods.... I asked Adam Coulter, our lead editor in the UK, to check out the status and he says, indeed, it looks like your ship will be the first to visit SXM (beyond Crystal Esprit, which I'm on). If you have a chance, please post about it! Inquiring minds and all that....

Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn. We are scheduled to get there on the 5th of December not the 3rd (my mistake). You reckon the 4th but that's probably our ship arriving early. What will it be like there? Any ideas?

PS Here's a link to the story I wrote about the day in St. Maarten/St. Martin, based on last Sunday's experience. A lot will likely have changed by the time you get there, but I wouldn't worry about having plenty of fun and plenty to do. I was wowed, particularly on the Dutch side, about the progress.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8225

Carolyn

Hi, gods.... I asked Adam Coulter, our lead editor in the UK, to check out the status and he says, indeed, it looks like your ship will be the first to visit SXM (beyond Crystal Esprit, which I'm on). If you have a chance, please post about it! Inquiring minds and all that....

Carolyn

You can, lenquixote66, but it's a bit treacherous. And there's a perfectly good ferry system that leaves right from the cruise port and takes you straight into Phillipsburg...

Anyone else tried to walk to town?

Carolyn

Yes, we walk all the time - piece of cake of you have no ailments. A stroll will take you 20-24 min and a good walk should take 15-17 min at most. Very easy to do

Heading for St. Maarten on March 17th on the Eclipse....we've been there several times and LOVE the Blue Bitch Bar for lunch....I heard that all the shops and restaurants on the beach have been destroyed....still up in the air if X is going there....can you tell me if BB is open, gone, being repaired? Thanks, HK.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, we walk all the time - piece of cake of you have no ailments. A stroll will take you 20-24 min and a good walk should take 15-17 min at most. Very easy to do

We used to walk to town all the time too, but how is it now after the storm? Is it still walkable or have the side walks been wrecked?

We will be there in January.

It's going! Here's our news story from the other day....

Let us know how your trip goes, will you godsrecognisegods?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8258

Hope it's awesome.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

Would it be fair to say that the Marella Discovery will not be stopping at St Maarten on the 3rd of December?

Thanks

When I was there a few weeks ago, they'd torn up the road between port and Philipsburg (was told it'd be finished for the first ship). I didn't notice the sidewalks, alas. Anyone know?

Carolyn

We used to walk to town all the time too, but how is it now after the storm? Is it still walkable or have the side walks been wrecked?

We will be there in January.

Hi, Hydrokitty. Great Bay was in pretty good shape when I was there. It looks open from the website.... Some shops when I was there were closed but it was Sunday, others were open. The boardwalk looked great. Looking forward to reports from folks who are going there this week....

Carolyn

Heading for St. Maarten on March 17th on the Eclipse....we've been there several times and LOVE the Blue Bitch Bar for lunch....I heard that all the shops and restaurants on the beach have been destroyed....still up in the air if X is going there....can you tell me if BB is open, gone, being repaired? Thanks, HK.