Oceania/Nautica: 1st Timers!! Tips, Secrets?

TLCOhio

Thanks for the info.

Re the library. Is it reasonably well stocked with novels ?

Thanks.

Reading the other thread about the flu onboard reminded me of our Mediterranean cruise. One of the first things they did when we had a certain level of Noro patients was to close the library. Sharing books can mean sharing germs. So I would at least be prepared with some of your own reading material just in case.

Since we are on the subject of tips, secrets, etc., I have two questions. I will be a first time cruiser on O in April on the Nautica.

My wife uses a CPAP machine. Does O have distilled water available for her to use in her CPAP?

I guess the ladies can answer this question, how is the in room hair dryer? If I/we can avoid humping her hair dryer that would be great.

Thanks,

Bill and Kathi

As far as distilled water for your CPAP. Always smart to email special services with your request. This way you will have it in your cabin awaiting you. Also request an extension cord (if needed) which you might need to run the CPAP as the only American plugs and voltage are by desk in the front of the cabin.

Hi TCLOhio. From my experience Oceania will be a different experience to lines like Silversea. That's not to say you won't enjoy it - I did - it's just different. Things aren't quite so refined. That said, the dining (especially in the specialty restaurants) is good and the pool deck and spa terrace are lovely. I found this excellent review today which you might find useful. It seems the reviewers were only onboard recently: http://www.cruiseoyster.com/reviews/nautica-review/ Hope this all helps

Appreciate this above great follow-up and this helpful link. Yes, that web summary matches much of what I had previously researched and found. Having also traveled twice with Celebrity on the Solstice and once with Princess for the Panama Canal earlier this year, we have had a decent range of cruise experiences. We are "realistic", flexible and can adjust accordingly. Even with top, higher-end cruise lines, things are not aways "perfect". We can and do adjust accordingly. We look for and enjoy the "positives", not focusing on the negatives. This includes for the staterooms on the Oceania Nautica not being quite as large as we would ideally desire. Yes, we could partly solve that space/room "challenge" by spending $6K more for a bigger suite, but we would rather shift those money resources into better, more in-depth shore experiences in these key historic areas such as at Luxor, in Jerusalem, for Petra, etc.

Great added info and insights from PaulMCO, Mura, Sea42, MTDGT, etc. This has evolved into an excellent thread that has been very helpful for me and hopefully for others. Wonderful sharing!! Keep it rolling!!

From my earlier questions, I am especially interested in hearing more feed-back on the Internet quality on these Oceania ships, the best times of day for getting decent Internet performance, etc. Plus, always loving hearing from previous Oceania customers on their favorite or special dining dishes enjoyed on this cruise line.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 36,171 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Internet. Being on a R class ship has its advantages. Less people and crew for same bandwidth. Never had issues getting mail. Can be slow during sea days in mid day. Best times are night and early mornings. Will be on Nautica next week will do some benchmarking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Terry, You are fortunate in that the specialty restaurants are at least represented on the GDR menu. While the regular menu is terrific, these opportunities kick it up a notch.

One of the experiences we particularly enjoyed was the string quartet that plays each night in the great hall. We had lovely Russian ladies who played expertly.

I know you have been a SS loyalist and they were our first two cruises , but, we now enjoy O even more because of better food and a more casual atmosphere.

Enjoy!

Terry, You are fortunate in that the specialty restaurants are at least represented on the GDR menu. While the regular menu is terrific, these opportunities kick it up a notch. One of the experiences we particularly enjoyed was the string quartet that plays each night in the great hall. We had lovely Russian ladies who played expertly. I know you have been a SS loyalist and they were our first two cruises , but, we now enjoy O even more because of better food and a more casual atmosphere. Enjoy!

Internet. Being on a R class ship has its advantages. Less people and crew for same bandwidth. Never had issues getting mail. Can be slow during sea days in mid day. Best times are night and early mornings. Will be on Nautica next week will do some benchmarking.

Appreciate BOTH of these great follow-ups. Very helpful and interesting. While we have done five cruises with Silversea, I would not say that I am a "loyalist". For us, it's about the ports/stops and "value". We have done five other cruises with four different cruise lines, including Seabourn, Crystal, Celebrity and Princess. All cruise lines have their various plus/minus factor, including about price/value. Looking forward to trying our first river cruise at the end of next month while in Vietnam. Going up the Mekong River with Avalon Waterways. Then, Oceania in November 2018 for Athens to Dubai.

From Paul, after your upcoming Nautica sailing, look forward to any and all added insights, comments, tips, new wrinkles, etc.

THANKS! Keep up the great info and sharing. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 190,787 views for this posting.

Oops meant Regatta this week. In any case will still do some bench marking on the internet.

One side comment on Nautica. It tends to do the same itinerary every Year with only slight modifications. Crew tends to have regulars who stay with her year after year. It is a very well run ship and probably the best in Oceania’s fleet IMO.

From the Az cruiser. Same on Oceania blackouts with balcony curtains drawn after sundown. Water cannons set up on deck 5. Special passengers on board to. It is easy to spot these added guests.

One side comment on Nautica. It tends to do the same itinerary every Year with only slight modifications. Crew tends to have regulars who stay with her year after year. It is a very well run ship and probably the best in Oceania’s fleet IMO.

Agree. Ditto for Marina.

Maybe that is why the majority of our O cruises have been on those 2 ships.

Great to read this excellent background on the Nautica from Paul. Keep it coming with these types of insights and experiences. Yes, having an seasoned and skilled crew makes such a major, positive difference. Looking forward to trying Oceania and the Nautica in ten and a half months. BUT, who's counting??!!

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 191,013 views for this posting.

I can confirm they have distilled water available on the ship for CPAP machines, ring Oceania or ask your TA to put in a request - you will need to fill out a medical questionnaire beforehand, but no issues with this and the distilled water was in the cabin when we boarded.

I use a CPAP machine so I called Oceania before the cruise and they said that they ordered it. No medical questionnaire to fill out or any other questions. The gallon of distilled water was in the room when I arrived.

I use a CPAP machine so I called Oceania before the cruise and they said that they ordered it. No medical questionnaire to fill out or any other questions. The gallon of distilled water was in the room when I arrived.

Appreciate this great follow-up with these CPAP details. Very helpful!! Most cruise lines seem very good in understanding these "needs" for those of us with CPAP machines. Keep it coming with this continued excellent information sharing.

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

This thread has been a delight to read, and Terry you have asked many of the same questions I have been thinking about. My husband and I have been Holland America and Disney cruisers, mainly because we have taken charter cruises with, respectively, Garrison Keillor & Prairie Home Companion, and the Turner Classic Movie Cruises. Now we are seriously considering our first Oceania cruise - possibly Singapore to Dubai, or Barcelona to Venice, or Athens to Dubai.

I had wondered if, after the themed charter cruises, if we would enjoy a non-chartered "regular cruise." Now I think we will love Oceania! Our TA has already sent several suggestions, so I will keep reading here as we continue to book and plan. Thank you for all the pointers!

This thread has been a delight to read, and Terry you have asked many of the same questions I have been thinking about. My husband and I have been Holland America and Disney cruisers, mainly because we have taken charter cruises with, respectively, Garrison Keillor & Prairie Home Companion, and the Turner Classic Movie Cruises. Now we are seriously considering our first Oceania cruise - possibly Singapore to Dubai, or Barcelona to Venice, or Athens to Dubai.

I had wondered if, after the themed charter cruises, if we would enjoy a non-chartered "regular cruise." Now I think we will love Oceania! Our TA has already sent several suggestions, so I will keep reading here as we continue to book and plan. Thank you for all the pointers!

I don't know anything about charter cruises, but if you had lots of entertainment on them then Oceania will be a big change. Not much in the way of entertainment except enrichment lecturers, singers, trivia and a string quartet. We also had a magician.

Terry,

Since you'll be in an R class Concierge cabin, you'll be entitled to three free bags of laundry and three specialty reservations per restaurant on cruises more than 18 days which can be made 60 days before sailing.

We are booked in a PH on Deck 8 for a 20-day cruise to Greenland, Iceland, and the British Isles. Before we book the 3 Speciality reservations, is a dining room schedule available. I would not want to pick a night that has lobster or the Chef's Dinner in the dining room.

What is the turnover on the laundry, we normally sail in full suites on Princess and get unlimited same-day laundry. So it looks like we will need to pack more than usual.

Excited to try Oceania in 2019 (and Silversea to Antarctica in 2018).

We are booked in a PH on Deck 8 for a 20-day cruise to Greenland, Iceland, and the British Isles. Before we book the 3 Speciality reservations, is a dining room schedule available. I would not want to pick a night that has lobster or the Chef's Dinner in the dining room.

There is no one specific night that there is Lobster served in the GDR.

On Oceania Lobster is available every night someplace on the ship

I do not know what a Chef's dinner is but Oceania does not have a special dinner

On the larger O ships they have La Reserve for a fee

Laundry the new 3 free bag deal is a 3 day turnaround

or you can DIY in the laundry room if you want

What is the turnover on the laundry, we normally sail in full suites on Princess and get unlimited same-day laundry. So it looks like we will need to pack more than usual.

MDR schedule of menus is not available ahead of time but they rarely serve lobster there and there is no Chef's Dinner. That said, you can have lobster every day at the Terrace and it is also served in all 4 specialties in one form or another. In addition, as you are in a PH, you can dine en suite and order any of those lobster dinners every night, if you wish :)

Normal laundry turn around is next day; you can have same day laundry for extra charge (or do your own :)).

Enjoy your first O cruise.

A little more on the Free laundry. They give you three laundry tickets in the stateroom (concierge and up) for your 20 items. The turnaround is indeed 3 days. If you want a quick one -- use the pay ticket (same day) or the do it yourself machines on deck 7 of the R class ships. On longer cruises they usually have (and have now on Regatta) a 20 items for $24.95 laundry. In all cases dry cleaning and pressing are excluded from these specials and free items.

MDR dinner menus used to be delivered with the currents ahead of time. Now they are a shown on the same day on Ch 34 of the TV.

A little more on the Free laundry. They give you three laundry tickets in the stateroom (concierge and up) for your 20 items. The turnaround is indeed 3 days. If you want a quick one -- use the pay ticket (same day) or the do it yourself machines on deck 7 of the R class ships. On longer cruises they usually have (and have now on Regatta) a 20 items for $24.95 laundry. In all cases dry cleaning and pressing are excluded from these specials and free items.

Appreciate these great details and this follow-up above from Paul on the laundry bags, etc. Very helpful info, especially since we will be on a 20-day Oceania cruise from Athens to Dubai. We will be on deck seven, so we have several good options during this cruise in November.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 221,427 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=122792

Hi Cheryl, You will get a total of six speciality reservations for your booking and lobster is available every night in the Terrace and in Waves during the day.

Don’t miss afternoon tea in Horizons :)

You’ll also get free laundry.

There is no formal night (with lobster served) like on Princess. And, frankly, my experience is that Princess' lobster tails were usually rubbery. Anyway, as others said, lobster tails are available daily in the buffet where they grill them fresh for you! They'll also grill you a steak. Waves Grill has a delicious sandwich made of sliced filet mignon and sliced lobster tail. One night in the MDR I had a "whole" lobster, but it was actually a half of a lobster deshelled. It was good, but the tails in the buffet were better - they were tender and sweet. The MDR menus are on the TV each day and also posted outside the venue.

I also sail in full suites on Princess and am spoiled by the same-day laundry. When on our first Oceania cruise last month we sent laundry out once and got it back the next evening - not bad. Turned it in before 9am one day and got back about 6:30pm the next day. No extra charge.

We really enjoyed Oceania (were on Insignia) although we really enjoy Princess too. Hope you have a great cruise!

We really enjoyed Oceania (were on Insignia) although we really enjoy Princess too. Hope you have a great cruise!

Great attitude and experience from our fellow Ohio State fan. We have done five different cruise lines. None of these are perfect. Lots of different factors to consider and evaluate. We like to look for the positives and our top priorities are having the best "mix" for special destinations/reasonable value, etc.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 36,415 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

You asked the question about internet performance on the R ships.

Ship Regatta.

Capacity near fully with around 587 guests plus full crew.

Server has been constantly the same for comparison (being Miami ATT)

Typical Speeds

12/20 -11AM Embarkation day (few passenger on line) -- 6.8mbs up and 4.1 down (ping 727ms and packet jitter a low 85ms )

12/21 morning Sea Day with everyone on 0.35 up 1.0 down (ping 699 and jitter 760ms). This was typical throughout the cruise during day. High jitter means lots of congestion and users. Ping times of course are due to the up/down times of the satellite. They have varied through the cruise between 700ms and 1000ms

12/21 dinner 1.52 down , 1.18 up 713 ping and 110 jitter

speeds at night are much better generally

late last night 1/3/18 are typical examples

4.21 down 3.65 up ping 946ms and jitter 31ms

I have had no troubles using my VPN to my Company HQ. Files downloaded quite quickly.

Oceania/MTN now has blocked many streaming sites like YouTube

A question about average time to get onboard a tender on a R ship, please.

My first Oceania trip is coming up.

We have a private tour with quite a tight start time.

We are very familiar with the port, and know it's only about 10 minutes actual tender run time, and there are 2 docks ashore the tenders can use simultaneously.

On average, with no weather factors, and your experience on R ships, how long would you guess until independents with no priority are on a tender after the ship has received clearance from the local authorities ?

PS: My guess is that ship excursions may be moderately popular at this port.

Thanks.