Oceania/Nautica: 1st Timers!! Tips, Secrets?

TLCOhio

Excellent review and pictures. We are considering this trip and enjoy Oceania albeit we have not travelled on the smaller ships.

Anyone know when Nautica is due for a refresh? Not keen on shower curtains but could tolerate it.

On 4/18/2019 at 10:47 PM, pully8 said:

Excellent review and pictures. We are considering this trip and enjoy Oceania albeit we have not travelled on the smaller ships.  Anyone know when Nautica is due for a refresh? Not keen on shower curtains but could tolerate it.

Appreciate your nice comments and follow-up.  We are looking at doing a South Pacific, Auckland to Tahiti cruise on the Regatta early next year and found out that this ship will become the "Flagship" after they complete doing that re-styling in early September, 2019.  From checking the Nautica future schedules, they have the period of early to mid June blocked out and I would assume, that the change-over would happen at that time.  Other items seem to indicated that the Nautica will be the third of these four R-ship to upgraded at this time.  Others have any better info?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

For latest live/blog, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Nautica is the last R for “Next” refurbishment ...June 2020.  Insignia has already been redone. Sirena has a redo in May, Regatta in September.  Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

I don’t know why Regatta would be considered the flagship other than I think it was R1.

Edited by buggins0402

4 hours ago, buggins0402 said:

Nautica is the last R for “Next” refurbishment ...June 2020.  Insignia has already been redone. Sirena has a redo in May, Regatta in September.  Someone please correct me if I’m wrong. I don’t know why Regatta would be considered the flagship other than I think it was R1.

Appreciate your excellent follow-up and this added information.  Not sure why Oceania bills the Regatta as their "flagship".  From their website, below is how they start off the description of this ship: "Sleek and elegantly charming, Regatta is the flagship of the Oceania Cruises fleet."   .

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 245,507 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From the Oceania website, here is how they describe the Regatta as their "flagship".:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

163757861_ScreenShot2019-04-20at10_21_20PM.thumb.png.5b93aef43e285c5cdabea3038e325d5e.png

Perhaps because as I recall she was the first ship in the fleet.  My memory is that originally it was supposed to be Insignia that was the first, but then they switched.  I forget why.

Or maybe it's just because they are did the refit on Regatta first??????????  Did they?  I haven't kept track.

Certainly Regatta was the first cruise WE took on Oceania, and her incarnation as Renaissance's R2 was also our first cruise on that line.

Mura

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mura said:

Perhaps because as I recall she was the first ship in the fleet.  My memory is that originally it was supposed to be Insignia that was the first, but then they switched.  I forget why.

Or maybe it's just because they are did the refit on Regatta first??????????  Did they?  I haven't kept track.

Certainly Regatta was the first cruise WE took on Oceania, and her incarnation as Renaissance's R2 was also our first cruise on that line.

Mura

You’re right...Regatta was R 2 and Insignia was R 1. 

After a google search,  it does appear that Regatta was the first R ship purchased.  Oddly enough, she was first named Insignia.  Then they acquired R1...renamed R2 Regatta and R1 became Insignia.  Is this correct?  And, if it is, for extra O points, does anyone know why they changed R2’s name?

• Like 1

I think Insignia  was the 1st ship  but there was a story long ago here why  it was renamed 😉

or maybe Wiki  has the story

Insignia  has already been "NEXT" ed  for what it is worth

36 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I think Insignia  was the 1st ship  but there was a story long ago here why  it was renamed 😉

or maybe Wiki  has the story

Insignia  has already been "NEXT" ed  for what it is worth

Wiki is where I found the history...but, I am now unsure if it is correct. In the third paragraph it says Marina’s build was announced at the naming ceremony of Nautica, but never came to pass.🤔 

I would love to know if Regatta really did start her Oceania life as Insignia and the reason for the name change. 

My memory doesn't always go back that far, but I don't recall that they switched the names ... just that the Insignia maiden cruise was postponed for some reason, I forget what that was.  Regatta was definitely R2 because we had a bridge tour in 2005 (sshh, don't tell anyone, they swore us to secrecy at the time) and the schematic on the wall said the ship was the R2.

Mura

Appreciate these additional posts and the various follow-ups.  Interesting history!!  

We have now finalized a booking for the Oceania Regatta from Auckland to Tahiti starting Feb. 17, 2020.   Now am looking to learn more about Oceania's "Next" program or as they call it a "Re-Inspiration of Classic Elegance".  I am sure this "new" Regatta will look different than what we experienced late last fall on the Nautica.  My biggest question is about the showers in the bathrooms for the balcony rooms.  Will it still be a fabric curtin . . . OR . . . some type of new glass divider, etc.??

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 234,901 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Will it still be a fabric curtin . . . OR . . . some type of new glass divider, etc.??

This link should help- pictures of the glass swing-doors on Insignia post-Next. I would assume that Regatta will end up with the same shower set-up.

Happy planning & sailing 🙂

Edited by babysteps
actually include the link lol

On 4/23/2019 at 12:54 PM, babysteps said:

This link should help- pictures of the glass swing-doors on Insignia post-Next. I would assume that Regatta will end up with the same shower set-up.  Happy planning & sailing 🙂

Appreciate this very helpful follow-up and the link to these visuals.  YES, this looks like an improvement.  It will still be a little tight, but maybe I can loose about 50 pounds between now and our cruise in February??  Don't think that will happen, but we can always dream and have fantasies. We will make things work during our 18-day South Pacific cruise.  

Yes, I am off and running for doing the research, planning and preparing to do this adventure sailing.  But, first in late July, will be our upcoming western Canada exploring of their amazing parks, doing a scenic Rocky Mountaineer rail trip and then sailing north up to Alaska.  

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 46,091 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474