Oceania vs Azamara

sabrefan

I have two things to add to the conversation here:

1 I do not need to engage the officers in conversation nor do I need my ego stroked. However, I would like to be greeted or at least acknowledged by a passing officer - even if it is just a subtle tilt of a head. This usually does not happen on Oceania but always does happen on Azamara.

2 We spent an incredible Azamazing evening in Ephesus when we had a private evening concert in the amphitheater. There is nothing like being the only group in Ephesus and having the whole place to ourselves.

All that said, we definitely prefer Oceania to Azamara when all things are considered.

I personally don't think your expectation is unreasonable, and I do find that officers generally do make a subtle attempt to acknowledge guests.

But I guess some people want more - and it makes me think of life in a big city like NYC vs. a smaller town. People often think of New Yorkers as cold and even rude because we don't smile more and we often don't make eye contact. But if we smiled or tilted our head at every passing stranger we would all look like crazy bobbleheads. In the same way, perhaps sometimes officers are focused on high-level tasks and it's not on their mind to acknowledge every passenger they pass. Their jobs aren't as public facing as stewards, waitstaff, etc. who we would perhaps expect to be more outwardly friendly.

Just my 2 cents.

I have two things to add to the conversation here:

1 I do not need to engage the officers in conversation nor do I need my ego stroked. However, I would like to be greeted or at least acknowledged by a passing officer - even if it is just a subtle tilt of a head. This usually does not happen on Oceania but always does happen on Azamara.

2 We spent an incredible Azamazing evening in Ephesus when we had a private evening concert in the amphitheater. There is nothing like being the only group in Ephesus and having the whole place to ourselves.

All that said, we definitely prefer Oceania to Azamara when all things are considered.

Agree with you totally @Paulchili

It is not a "deal breaker" if senior officers ignore passengers, but if it would be nice if Oceania management try to encourage their senior officers to at least acknowledge guests

(as you had indicated, a subtle tilt of the head). The thing is, it would not cost the company or the senior officers, anything, to show a little bit of friendliness to make the cruise environment just that little bit nicer. Oceania train their junior staff to be warm, friendly and helpful, which they are, it would have been nice if senior staff officers lead by example.

Azamazing evenings are great on Azamara, but Azamara really needs to up their game more if they wish to compete with Oceania. All things considered, to date, like @Paulchili we would also prefer Oceania.

Have cruised on Oceania 4 times, last time two years ago. We are at Elite level on Celebrity. Just cruised on our first Viking ocean cruise. We came away feeling that we preferred Oceania to Viking. We are trying our first Azamara cruise in February. Interested in hearing from cruisers who have been on both Oceania and Azamara regarding how they compare.

Have cruised twice on Azamara and twice on Oceania. We much prefer Oceania. Food and service are better. However, we really like the overnights in port that Azamara does although it seems like as time goes by they are doing less of those and Oceania is doing more. We would definitely cruise on Azamara again if we liked the itinerary but would choose Oceania if given the choice. There is a lot more interaction with passengers by the senior crew on Azamara which many people enjoy but that is not important to us. I am sure you will have a great cruise.

I personally don't think your expectation is unreasonable, and I do find that officers generally do make a subtle attempt to acknowledge guests.

But I guess some people want more - and it makes me think of life in a big city like NYC vs. a smaller town. People often think of New Yorkers as cold and even rude because we don't smile more and we often don't make eye contact. But if we smiled or tilted our head at every passing stranger we would all look like crazy bobbleheads. In the same way, perhaps sometimes officers are focused on high-level tasks and it's not on their mind to acknowledge every passenger they pass. Their jobs aren't as public facing as stewards, waitstaff, etc. who we would perhaps expect to be more outwardly friendly.

Just my 2 cents.

I disagree.

The staff meet passengers ALL the time and yet they are happy (or at least willing) to greet them always - in the hallways, in the restaurants, etc.

The officers are rarely seen and they rarely encounter passengers - certainly nothing like walking on Fifth Avenue in NYC and passing hundreds of people. Those few times that they pass by a passenger, they certainly could acknowledge them - as a simple courtesy, if nothing else. It's like the passengers are invisible to them or below their dignity. Never mind that it's the passengers that pay their salaries. :)

I think that this is the difference that Azamara cruisers often mean when they say that the officers on A are friendly - not that they stop to chat with each one of them - they just don't ignore them.

JMO

Paul

I rarely have had staff member not at least nod when passing some will say good morning or what ever but most at least nod when passing

Some will strike up a conversation

I will say also some do keep the head down but in my experience it is only a few

I find some passengers do not speak or acknowledge others when passing in the hallways

I always smile or say hello when in the hallways even if I do not know them ...on deck is another story

that is just me

I disagree.

The staff meet passengers ALL the time and yet they are happy (or at least willing) to greet them always - in the hallways, in the restaurants, etc.

The officers are rarely seen and they rarely encounter passengers - certainly nothing like walking on Fifth Avenue in NYC and passing hundreds of people. Those few times that they pass by a passenger, they certainly could acknowledge them - as a simple courtesy, if nothing else. It's like the passengers are invisible to them or below their dignity. Never mind that it's the passengers that pay their salaries. :)

I think that this is the difference that Azamara cruisers often mean when they say that the officers on A are friendly - not that they stop to chat with each one of them - they just don't ignore them.

JMO

+1

Before we took our cruise on Azamara we could not understand the the hoopla about the friendly staff. All we wanted from the senior officers was competence. We even turn down dining on Oceania at the captain's table.

We went on a Azamara cruise because we like the "R" ships. They had a fantastic itinerary, long days in ports and overnights and the price was right at the time. Once on board, I now understand what Azamara cruisers are trying to convey. The senior officers are genuinely nice and friendly. It is inherent in their personalities. In Montenegro the captain took anyone who wanted to go up the trail to the monastery. In Dubrovnik, the GM took a passengers for a tour of all the back allies since he has been there so many times. I was having a coffee and snack at the coffee bar on Azamara and the captain sat next me and started chatting while he drank his latte. This comaraderie and natural friendliness trickles down to the whole ship - at least it did on our cruise.

On Oceania, I sit in Barista's in the morning having my coffee. The senior officers and sometimes the captain come to have their coffee there as well. Never once have these men nodded or even acknowledged the existence of other passengers in this small venue. When I come in, I say good morning to the baristas and whomever is sitting next to me - it's just common courtesy. I have no intention in engaging in a long dialogue. It s very hard to verbalize or put into words the difference in atmosphere between the two lines. It really has nothing to do with passengers wanting to hobnob with senior management. We are silver on Oceania so obviously we enjoy the product but there is a difference.

Edited by TERRIER1
  • Like 1

Paul

I rarely have had staff member not at least nod when passing some will say good morning or what ever but most at least nod when passing

I will say also some do keep the head down but in my experience it is only a few

I find some passengers do not speak or acknowledge others when passing in the hallways

I always smile or say hello when in the hallways even if I do not know them ...on deck is another story

that is just me

Guess the staff aren't from NYC if they nod or strike up a conversation. Bet they may even look you directly in the eye.

Paul

that is just me

That has been my general experience as well.

I disagree.

JMO

Well, I find they generally acknowledge me. It might be luck of the draw. Or maybe some people are more approachable than others. Who knows...

That has been my general experience as well.

A chief engineer on one of our sea days happened to notice my Cal Maritime tee shirt at the judging of the boat building contest (newbies note: you may want to take this challenge as it can be a really fun activity) and struck up a conversation, which led to trading some great "sea stories."

I have found most of the O officers to be seriously focused professionals who are extremely courteous but not particularly interested in being BFFs with passengers. Works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have found most of the O officers to be seriously focused professionals who are extremely courteous but not particularly interested in being BFFs with passengers. Works for me.

Ditto. I've also initiated conversations with officers, usually to complement the ship/staff/food, and have always received courteous, friendly responses with a smile.

The working hours on board ships are 70+ hours a week, which I appreciate, and I have no problem if management doesn't spend much time chatting with me. If I have a question I ask or a comment to tell I share it at an appropriate time.

It's true. We New Yorkers are terrible conversationalists compared to South Carolinians. :halo:

You're proof of that for New Yorkers. Here's proof that you were right about South Carolina too. :halo:Charleston, for the fifth year in a row, is the Friendliest city in the U.S. according to Conde Nast Traveler Magazine which agrees with you!!!

https://www.cntraveler.com/galleries/2015-08-11/the-2015-friendliest-and-unfriendliest-cities-in-the-us

I am looking forward to our four upcoming O cruises. It doesn't matter if officers converse with me or not however I feel friendly crew & officers do make for a more enjoyable environment IMO.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

You're proof of that for New Yorkers. Here's proof that you were right about South Carolina too. :halo:Charleston, for the fifth year in a row, is the Friendliest city in the U.S. according to Conde Nast Traveler Magazine which agrees with you!!!

https://www.cntraveler.com/galleries/2015-08-11/the-2015-friendliest-and-unfriendliest-cities-in-the-us

I am looking forward to our four upcoming O cruises. It doesn't matter if officers converse with me or not however I feel friendly crew & officers do make for a more enjoyable environment IMO.

NYC is typically at the bottom of various rankings of friendliness. We like it that way. We value directness and honesty. We would never confuse friendliness with conversation skills.

It's definitely not a place for delicate flowers.

NYC is typically at the bottom of various rankings of friendliness. We like it that way. We value directness and honesty. We would never confuse friendliness with conversation skills.

It's definitely not a place for delicate flowers.

With apologies to my fellow Californians: When I was in the "rat race," I sometimes found myself thinking of my other life in NYC and making the occasional comparison of:

New Yorkers stab you in the front and Californians stab you in the back. (Remember, I'm talking about work and, even then, it was only in some fairly competitive situations).

(Just a thought: The captains on Azamara are very fluent in English, but on Oceania, some of their captains, usually Italian (?), they may not be so comfortable in mixing with others, or making announcements and speeches, speaking in English. Perhaps Oceania could in future, when they recruit captains, ensure that one of the pre-requisites is that they are fluent in English, as the majority of their passengers on board speak English as their first/only language, and are from English-speaking countries. And that they enjoy and are relaxed with meeting clients - it does not help being shy in the hospitality industry!)

I have not found that to be true at all on the Oceania cruises that I've been on. The captains have been Russian, Italian and Swedish and they were all fluent in English as well as all of the senior staff. I agree with all the posters who said it's not that important to engage in conversations with the captain as long as we cruise safely from port to port.

I have not found that to be true at all on the Oceania cruises that I've been on. The captains have been Russian, Italian and Swedish and they were all fluent in English as well as all of the senior staff. I agree with all the posters who said it's not that important to engage in conversations with the captain as long as we cruise safely from port to port.

It is not just the captain(s) who extremely seldom engaged with passengers on all Oceania cruise we went on, even the hotel director/manager seldom engaged with the passengers. The only exception was theHotel manager/director on our last cruise. (That hotel director/manager on our last cruise was French, the ones on other cruises were Italian. Is it a coincidence those Italian hotel managers/directors were less friendly than others? ). You could say it is not important for the captain to engage with customers as long as you cruise safely. However, for the hotel director(s) who seldom engaged with guests, is that alright too? Should the hotel director(s)not set an example especially when he expects his junior staff to be friendly and helpful to guests? The hotel director is supposed to be working in the hospitality industry, what kind of impression would his lack of engagement with guests give? Should he/they be excused as well?

How much would it cost Oceania for their hotel managers/directors to be friendly to guests? Nothing. So why did some many of them have to be so unfriendly and aloof ?

Edited by Gnoelj

Our experience is that oceania officers do engage with us not that it matters. We wouldn’t take a free cruise on Azamara. If warm and fuzzy officers are important to you by all means sail Azamara. If you want a great cruise choose oceania

We didn't have a lot of interaction from top Mgt/Officers on our cruise, however, when I saw the staff go above and beyond I made a point to go to the Mgr of that area and let them know how good the staff were. For instance during a particularly busy time in The Terrace Cafe I mentioned to the floor Manager that I thought the staff were pulling out all the stops and that I was very thankful to them and impressed. I don't need/want interaction with higher ups, but I will make a point to show that I have noticed exceptional work by the staff "at the coal face".

It is not just the captain(s) who extremely seldom engaged with passengers on all Oceania cruise we went on, even the hotel director/manager seldom engaged with the passengers. The only exception was theHotel manager/director on our last cruise. (That hotel director/manager on our last cruise was French, the ones on other cruises were Italian. Is it a coincidence those Italian hotel managers/directors were less friendly than others? ). You could say it is not important for the captain to engage with customers as long as you cruise safely. However, for the hotel director(s) who seldom engaged with guests, is that alright too? Should the hotel director(s)not set an example especially when he expects his junior staff to be friendly and helpful to guests? The hotel director is supposed to be working in the hospitality industry, what kind of impression would his lack of engagement with guests give? Should he/they be excused as well?

How much would it cost Oceania for their hotel managers/directors to be friendly to guests? Nothing. So why did some many of them have to be so unfriendly and aloof ?

What you see as being aloof may be seen by others as being unobtrusive.

Look at it this way: what makes a great waiter in a restaurant? Is it someone who acts like your BFF or is it someone akin to the inconspicuous server in the movie, "My Dinner With André"?

IMO, a great manager (of anything related to service/hospitality) should be so confident (due to vigilant observation) that the staff is performing at the highest levels of performance that there is never a need for him/her to initiate a conversation inquiring about your satisfaction. Of course, s/he should be openly receptive, courteous and attentive should you approach him/her with comments about personnel, service, conditions, problems, etc.

Though not exactly the same situation, I am reminded of one of "Max's" casual "delicatessens" in SF where in a "service creed" printed on the menu, the manager promised to pay for your meal if any server ever asked you "how is your food?" Why??? Because a good server would never let anything unacceptable ever reach your table.

Whether it's the ship's captain or it's hotel director or any other senior staff member with whom you would not normally rely on for daily attention to your needs or desires, I see their purpose as providing assurance that your leisure experience is excellent rather than trying to be part of that experience.

Look at it this way: what makes a great waiter in a restaurant? Is it someone who acts like your BFF or is it someone akin to the inconspicuous server in the movie, "My Dinner With André"?

IMO, a great manager (of anything related to service/hospitality) should be so confident (due to vigilant observation) that the staff is performing at the highest levels of performance that there is never a need for him/her to initiate a conversation inquiring about your satisfaction. Of course, s/he should be openly receptive, courteous and attentive should you approach him/her with comments about personnel, service, conditions, problems, etc.

Though not exactly the same situation, I am reminded of one of "Max's" casual "delicatessens" in SF where in a "service creed" printed on the menu, the manager promised to pay for your meal if any server ever asked you "how is your food?" Why??? Because a good server would never let anything unacceptable ever reach your table.

Whether it's the ship's captain or it's hotel director or any other senior staff member with whom you would not normally rely on for daily attention to your needs or desires, I see their purpose as providing assurance that your leisure experience is excellent rather than trying to be part of that experience.

Beautifully stated! (y)

We are talking about two very different things here.

You are thinking that we expect the officers to be our new BFF or having lengthy personal conversations in the hallways.

I am talking about a simple Hello or Good morning or even just a nod while passing each other , rather than being totally ignored. It’s common courtesy and requires no effort at all.

Two very different things.

‘nuff said IMO :)

Edited by Paulchili

We are talking about two very different things here.

You are thinking that we expect the officers to be our new BFF or having lengthy personal conversations in the hallways.

I am talking about a simple Hello or Good morning or even just a nod while passing each other , rather than being totally ignored. It’s common courtesy and requires no effort at all.

Two very different things.

‘nuff said IMO :)

You and some others may only be talking about a courteous recognition. But, we all know that there are some cruisers (maybe fewer on the premium and luxury lines) who relish "seeing and being seen with" ship's officers.

We've sailed with both Oceania & Azamara many times, & we feel that Azamara is our overwhelming choice for booking future cruises. We like them both, but Azamara gains our respect time after time for quality of service, & that's the thing that really brings us back along with their port intensive itineraries. There's a warmth there that is hard to describe...

Still...we have enticed friends to join us on our Oceania cruise Oct 4-14 in the Mediterranean, & we know they'll love it. In that case it's all about the itinerary as it's a Bucket List trip that includes Pompeii, Santorini, & Rhodes. This itinerary is just wonderful & Azamara isn't offering anything similar anytime soon...so off we go.

I guess my message is that if there were two identical cruises offered by these two lines, I'd choose Azamara every time. I've chosen to sail with Oceania next fall because of their itinerary - my personal bucket list. BUT - my very next cruise will be with Azamara, in late January & I can't wait because I know how wonderfully I'll be treated, & how much I'll enjoy my on-board exxperience.

I hope that helps...