silver explorer antarctica cruise - luggage weight limits

lanita

Our instructions say that we are limited to 50 pounds for checked luggage and 17 pounds for carryon for the Buenos Aires-Ushuaia flight. That doesn't seem like enough for an 18 day cruise.

Also we are taking the Iguazu Fall side trip where the weight limits are also limited.

My question is this. Has anyone out there done this cruise and do they actually weigh the luggage? And do they give you the option to pay extra if you are over the weight limit?

Thank you. Lana

We took an Antartica cruise on Seabourn last Dec Jan and with 11 days in The Torres del Paine hiking and Easter Island pre cruise, 24 day cruise, and a few days post in Buenos Aires. DH brought tux and two sport coats , in addition to cold weather clothes for our landings and hikes, and casual day wear. I brought a few long gown as well as regular dresses , casual day wear and my expedition wear. We did used ship laundry for day wear and managed with each having a 24” bag weighing in at about 45 pounds and a small carry on weighing under 15 pounds plus one small tote bag (hiking boots, collapsed poles and rain jackets). We had plenty of clothes for various actives and dressed up every night on the ship. We managed just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our instructions say that we are limited to 50 pounds for checked luggage and 17 pounds for carryon for the Buenos Aires-Ushuaia flight. That doesn't seem like enough for an 18 day cruise.

Also we are taking the Iguazu Fall side trip where the weight limits are also limited.

My question is this. Has anyone out there done this cruise and do they actually weigh the luggage? And do they give you the option to pay extra if you are over the weight limit?

Thank you. Lana

If you are taking more than 50 pounds each you are overpacked. Rent your boots. They have laundry on the Explorer. No formal nights.

Outbound no -- they did not check.

Return -- they did check. Especially the carry on luggage. Had photo gear weighing 25 pounds in a roller Think Tank carryon. Gave me a hard time at check in. Was able to move half into a backpack and they weighed it gave me a sticker and went to the rest room and put the gear back into the padded carry-on.

Are there casual options for dining on Silverseas and Seabourn for Antarctica cruises?

Certainly on SS Explorer it is country club casual for dinner. Dinner is right after the recap/next day briefing in the Theater. Some people even where jeans to dinner.

• 2 weeks later...