Home Port proposal for Newcastle.

And Newcastle have a fabulous little Airport that flies to Melbourne and Brisbane, and Sydney on a smaller more expensive airline.

Port Stephens area not far away, Shoal Bay is beautiful.

We stay at the Mercure at the Airport often, very new and has the best restaurant! It is our weekend getaway hotel.

Cruising from Newcastle would be great for us on the Mid North Coast, only a 2 hour drive, plenty of parking at the airport.

It’s the wrong spot, but still good news.

Pacific Jewel home ported here for a season, or maybe two.

The biggest problem with the location, in my opinion, is the lack of transport, a bit like Brisbane using the grain terminal.

There were issues using the better location at Honeysuckle. The turning circle required for the longer ships and distance needed to reverse into Honeysuckle was seen as a minus. I imagine that it is also a lot cheaper building the terminal at Carrington.

There were issues using the better location at Honeysuckle. The turning circle required for the longer ships and distance needed to reverse into Honeysuckle was seen as a minus. I imagine that it is also a lot cheaper building the terminal at Carrington.

Yep, plus the land at honeysuckle is worth way more. I just think it’s a pity they didn’t bite the bullet and put it on the south side, it would also have made the terminal much more attractive for conferences etc when not in use as a terminal.

But if it’s going over at Carro I hope they put some public transport in place. Maybe some new(er) ferries.

The current bus ride is not a nice intro to the area in my opinion.

I imagine if a ship only has one option (reverse in or out) wind may become an option.

I hope they've thought of long term parking options, or enhanced public transport options from Sydney. That, to me, is one of the major drawbacks of Newcastle as a home port, but I'd be more than happy to stop there as a port stop.

I remember cruising from there way back on the old Pacific Sun, it must have been Carrington we boarded at, there was a big group of us and we stayed at a Pub in Carrington?? the night before.

I remember driving there, then doing lots of pick ups from the train station at Hamilton, then we dropped our car at the airport, someone else was picking others up from the airport so gave us a lift back.

We disembarked Brisbane, flew home to Newcastle then drove home 2 hours home, and remember thinking, what a lot of hassle for two nights haha!!

I hope they've thought of long term parking options, or enhanced public transport options from Sydney. That, to me, is one of the major drawbacks of Newcastle as a home port, but I'd be more than happy to stop there as a port stop.

That’s the problem with this location, no infrastructure. It’ll be another white Bay.

Have you ever known Newcastle to do anything but half-arsed solutions to anything and everything.

That is just NSW, no, all Australian Govt at the moment. Everything is a compomise to appease the vocal minorities all the while spending more money and delaying vital infrastructure where its needed.

We have the rightest left and the leftest right in history. If they were boxers the couldn't land a punch! :D

LOL, shame it is only two.:D

But most of Newcastle don't even support The Knights..

The site of where it's going is the only logical site to have. Hope they have shuttle buses to The Brewery (The Big Pen*s). So people can explore from there either them-selves or with tour operators...:)

But most of Newcastle don't even support The Knights..

The site of where it's going is the only logical site to have. Hope they have shuttle buses to The Brewery (The Big Pen*s). So people can explore from there either them-selves or with tour operators...:)

That may be true but if their team is not there in the finals, they have a soft spot for them.

I am sure there will have a shuttle taking them to the cbd for a fee.