Best Key Lime Pie?

allen.crawford

I hear you Kal. I've found that when I go somewhere for vaction there are tourist places/prices and local places/prices. I love the local spots. Like when I was in Seattle (which I see your near). Found this place called "Hall's Mr.BBQ". A hole in the wall but they smoke thier own meat and the owner was very friendly.Best BBQ I've had in a long time.

Indeed, that's the case with the Blond Giraffe. It's pretty much a tourist play where they have close-in, readily accessible sidewalk shops on Duval Street. It's an ideal business promo which supports their outrageous (ripoff) pricing.

Even the Giraffe bottled lime juice is twice the price as it's diluted 50% from the exact same lime juice sold by Kermit's. The recipe is right on the bottle. Nothing special whatsoever. No magic ingredients, just lime juice, eggs, condensed milk, sugar and pie crust. It's a very traditional recipe where the only difference is largely the concentration of the lime juice. Giraffe uses a diluted juice thus the pie is very sweet with only moderate tartness.

Our first visit to Florida 15 years ago, we ate key lime pie for dessert every day at different places to find the best one! The Flamingo Visitor Center at Everglades National Park boasts the best Key Lime Pie in all of Florida. I think they still grow a small crop of the origional "key limes" in this protected area, and use them in the recipe. Even the park attendant told us to "try the best Key lime pie to be found"

Enjoy!

How did you like the pie from La Dochosa?

As a side note, a group of 7 of us bought a Giraffe pie and every single person didn't care for it. The consensus was bland, too sweet and the $30 price was outrageous.

Rev - It sounds like you prefer the pastry crust as that's what Kermit's uses. For the Old Town vendors, the receipes are basically the same for all key lime pie fillings. The major difference is the crust (graham cracker vs pastry) and topping (meringue vs whipped cream). Matter of fact, the people at Kermit's told me their receipe is the same as the Giraffe's. Only difference is the crust and topping.

• 1 month later...
Rev - It sounds like you prefer the pastry crust as that's what Kermit's uses. For the Old Town vendors, the receipes are basically the same for all key lime pie fillings. The major difference is the crust (graham cracker vs pastry) and topping (meringue vs whipped cream). Matter of fact, the people at Kermit's told me their receipe is the same as the Giraffe's. Only difference is the crust and topping.

Kermits for us then...pastry & whip cream! Though, the blonde giraffe did sound good, but I hate sweets, tarter the better! What a great post! Thanks to you all!:)

I guess, for me, it was Kermit, hands down. I just can't get enough of the pie dipped in chocolate. I thought it had the best flavor. But HEY, don't cheat yourself and go try them ALL! :)

Oh yeah--I still have dreams of eating frozen key lime pie on a stick dipped in chocolate. Makes my mouth water, baby! :D

My wife and I hiked to the LaDichosa bakery on 3/6. It is over 2 miles from the the port, a pretty good hike. The pies are now $8, which is still a good deal. The original poster was spot-on about the 10 pies, there were exactly 9 left when we got there.

We have had the Blond Giraffe pie in the past, and I guess I would say that it was as good if not better than the LaDichosa pie. A lot pricier, but it beats walking over 4 miles for the LaDichosa pies.

-Ron and Jane

Costa Med 3/5-3/12/06

Ok, we go to Key West in three weeks and I am looking for a GRAHAM crust. I see the Giraffe has pastry, not what i am looking for...where should I go...is Kermits Pastry or Gaham? Oh I am so confused! W only have from 11-6 to enjoy Key West andI do not want to spend the 7 hours searching town for pie! But, I ahve to have some before we get back on the ship and sail away! Oh man, this is too much pressure! Maybe one for a morning snack, one for lunch and one as an afternoon snack before we get back on the ship :rolleyes: Heeeeeeellllllllppp!!

I'm with Otto! LEt's boil this down. We are in Key West May 7 and need tart, pale, graham cracker crust, and whipped cream that is affordable (I might buy a whole pie to bring back on board to make up for the lack luster desserts served on board) and not too far off the beaten path.

Cynthia

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just spent this past weekend in Key West, and had Key Lime Pie at four different locations.

First of all, I take back my opinion about pie at the Pier House. They are now serving it with meringue on the top. Any true Conch will tell you Key Lime pie is supposed to be served with whipped cream on top, and a graham cracker crust below.

Kermits pie was ok-but not the best we had. Flat Jacks on Duval had good Key Lime pie, but did not have topping on it at all.

The best pie we had this weekend was at the Half Shell at the Lands End Marina located at the end of Margaret Street. It was made in the traditional way, and was not too sweet or too tart, but was "Just Right".

Joan

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, i watched a show on the food network last night that was in key west. They had a chocolate dipped piece of key lime pie and i think it was at the blond giraffe. Has anyone had these....they sure looked good.

Thanks

Hi all, i watched a show on the food network last night that was in key west. They had a chocolate dipped piece of key lime pie and i think it was at the blond giraffe. Has anyone had these....they sure looked good.

Thanks

They're delicious. Not just dipped in chocolate, but they're frozen. Blond Giraffe is easily within walking distance of the pier, right off of Front Street, 2 or 3 blocks past Duval.