Best Key Lime Pie?

allen.crawford

Has anyone tried Kermit's Key Lime Pie? Or has anyone tried his key lime pie on a stick covered with chocolate? Everytime I go to Key West, I swear I'm going to try these things, but when I get there the heat damps down my appetite.

However, I do wonder which key lime pie is best because both Kermit and Blonde Giraffe make claims of having been voted the best key lime pie in Key West. So one has to wonder which one really does have the superior pie or is it pretty much a matter of what you prefer in key lime pie?

HeavySurf...........we'll be trying that chocolate covered keylime pie at the Blonde Giraffe in August when we visit Key West on the Celebration.

I saw it on the Food Network "Good Eats" the other night.....very interesting combination, looking forward to trying it.

I'll let you know how it turns out........

dondonma

HeavySurf...........we'll be trying that chocolate covered keylime pie at the Blonde Giraffe in August when we visit Key West on the Celebration.

I saw it on the Food Network "Good Eats" the other night.....very interesting combination, looking forward to trying it.

I'll let you know how it turns out........

dondonma

I look forward to your comments. We will be in Key West in October on Enchantment OTS and if you give the Blond Giraffe confection a thumbs up. I will give it a try. Afterall, I have been promising myself I would for THREE YEARS and still haven't done it!!!

• 2 weeks later...

key lime pie with meringue sounds like the fake key lime pie they make at Stop and Shop.

Green jello like substance with meringue............nastyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!

Real, Genuine Key Lime pie has just a dollop of REAL whipped cream.

There is a bakery in Palm Harbor FL on ALT 19 that makes pies for all the local restaurants.........best Key Lime Pie I have ever had so far..........looking forward to sampling what Key West has to offer.

dondonma

So is it pretty much anywhere you go in KW you get KLP with whipped cream??

THANK GOD!!!!!!:D

I cannot STAND meringue. Yuck. Unless it's a cookie.

Kermit's has the whipped topping, and it was yummy! We stopped at the Blonde Giraffe, but they had meringue...and there's no way I will eat that stuff!

Actually, we ate pie at several places and the first thing I asked was if the tipping was whipped or meringue...if it was meringue, we went to another place.

Also, for a change, we tried the frozen key lime pie which is dipped in chocolate. It was really good, but I think I like the regular pie better. But it was worth a try.

We like Kermit's so much, we had pies shipped to us at home. A little pricy, but a real treat. :)

It is the best Key Lime Pie ever, hands down! I am planning on buying the whole pie and eating it on the ship! I am wondering if they will let me bring it on board? HUmmm?

But do try it, you won't be disappointed, I promise!

Blond Giraffe without the "e" on blonde .com check them out!

cruizinrican:)

There's another key lime treat some of you might wish to try. That would be the key lime, macadamia nut, white chocolate cookies sold at the aloe store in bright key lime green boxes. I always buy a box of these to take back to my mom. The cookies are quite small, but they are addictive. I think the box runs around ten dollars.

Some of you might want to check out Key West Aloe anyway. It has many cosmetic and hygiene products made from aloe vera, even do shampoo! I usually buy something there, such as their guest size soap or their scented candles. They have some very pretty gift baskets that would make a nice gift. Check http://www.keywestaloe.com They are situated at 540 Green Street.

The aloe store is seldom mentioned here as a place anyone wants to see. I don't know if it is because few people know about it or if it doesn't interest them, but it is often frequented by cruise ship people.

Another key lime treat is the key lime-flavored Tortuga rum cake, sold at the little, semi-hidden Tortuga rum cake store. That place is fun because they have samples of all their various flavors of rum cake placed where you can try them for free. They also give a small discount if you show them your cruise ship ID. By the way, that is the very same company that makes rum cakes in Grand Cayman.

• 2 weeks later...

HeavySurf...........back from the Celebration to Key West.

Key Lime Pie on a stick from the Blonde Giraffe..........if I had ten thumbs, I would give it a 10 thumbs up ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Absolutly the best thing I have ever tasted.

My first bite was Ok I'm not so sure about this.....it was really frozen solid. The man in the store said to let it thaw a few minutes and then try it again, he must have seen my face UGH!! I let it thaw and bit it again, still not sure.........let it thaw some more and by now it was the consitancy of a regular slice of pie. OMG! ! ! ! ! ! talk about good ! ! ! ! ! I still get goose bumps thinking about it......It was soooooooooo good !!!!

dondonma

• 3 months later...

Places for very good Key lime pie:

• Blonde Giraffe (located on Duval Street...600 block...may be other locations) - nice version of Key lime pie
  • Pepe's Cafe (located on Caroline Street) - classic pie with graham cracker crust and a very Key West atmosphere
  • Rooftop Cafe (on Front St, near the cruise ship pier) - upstairs restaurant serves an excellent Key lime pie

Of course, there are others...but these are my picks.;)

By the way, there are few Key lime trees anymore. Many have been replaced (foolishly) with heartier lime trees, or (aghast) swimming pools and McMansions.:eek:

I loved Kermits. Kermits pies have whipped topping (I'm not a fan of meringue and Blonde Giraffe has meringue topping-but it's supposed to be very good). Key Lime pie is really good. Once you have "real" key lime pie, you won't want to settle for imitations. We also had the key lime slice dipped in chocolate (they are frozen) and found them to be quite yummy. I do prefer the pie to the frozen one dipped in chocolate.

We loved Kermits so much, that we had them ship us four pies. :)

You can't go wrong with any of the aforementioned places, all of which have won the "best key lime pie in Key West" at one time or another.

And, Southernmost is correct in that I don't believe that any key limes are raised in the Florida keys anymore; but are imported into the US.

Mike

Almost every restaurant and cafe in the entire Florida Keys serves some version of Key Lime Pie. The worst I have had is at the gigantic Bass Outdoor Sports complex that includes a shore side restaurant in Islamorada, approx,Mile Marker 81. Their slender portion of pie is almost white. The LEAST they could do is have it be the right color.

Another diappointing pie I have tried is the frozen one served at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville on Duval. That was two years ago. I hope they have improved by now.

Some pies have an almost lollypop sweetness to them. I prefer a tarter. more refreshing pie. There are also purists who prefer the graham cracker crust to the pastry crust version. And some prefer whipped cream topping, while others prefer merengue.

If you are in Key West long enough, try the pie everywhere you eat and you'll see what I mean. It is great fun seeing all the different versions of our famous pie.