Best Key Lime Pie?

allen.crawford

We were in Key West in October and we had a slice from the Blonde Giraffe. The best pie ever. You can choose between Meringue or Whipped Cream. Awesome.

We stopped at the one on Duval St. and they said they only had meringue topping...didn't offer the whipped cream. They must have started offering it since we were there. But Kermits was still really good! Thanks for the info...next time there, we'll try the BG.

You can't go wrong with any of the aforementioned places, all of which have won the "best key lime pie in Key West" at one time or another.

And, Southernmost is correct in that I don't believe that any key limes are raised in the Florida keys anymore; but are imported into the US.

Mike

according to this site about Key Limes - they were never native to the Florida Keys... http://www.keylime.com/diff.html

Key Lime juice isn't green...nor should the pie be

Many locals think the best pie comes from Publix - the Florida grocery chain.

I'm sure this will be amusing to many, but my favorite was from McDonald's.:eek: When we were there, we had it three times. One was Margaritaville, there was another from a similar type of restaurant that I cannot remember the name of and McDonald's. I don't know if my tastes were off that day but I really liked it. Crazy.

The Island Fish Company and Tiki Hut just north of Key Colony Beach, Marathon has a Key Lime pie concoction quite different from any I've tried. It is a deep fried key lime pie that is wrapped in a cinnamon sugar -sprinkled tortilla crust, then fried. I don't recommend this for dieters or those suffering from high cholesterol.

By the way the above is a fun restaurant and bar on the water (Gulf side) with a large menu that included a wide variety of food, not just the usual Florida Keys fish and sea food items.

my vote goes to the Blonde Giraffe...............frozen wedge of key lime pie on a stick dipped in chocolate..........YUMMMMMOOOOO! ! ! ! !! !

Let it thaw a few minutes before trying to bite it....when totally frozen solid it does not taste as good as thawed......we ate ours on the walk back to the ship after having Cuban sandwiches at El Mason de Pepe ! ! ! ! That was good too ! ! !

dondonma

another vote for kermits - they have all sorts of key lime items... I had a bbq pork with key lime flaor, many candies, cookies, nibbles... let the frozen warm up a bit for best flavor

as for regular kl pie, the one from publix was pretty good

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Over many years of enjoying key lime pie in Key West, IMHO there is one baker whose product is clearly head and shoulders above all others. Of course there are distinct camps divided between the graham cracker crust vs pastry crust and whipped cream vs meringue. Within the last 2 weeks I did a reconfirmation and had a slice of 4 different key lime pies while in Key West. Those were:

* Kermit's

* Blond Giraffe

* Publix

* La Dichosa

Again the winner was La Dichosa! This is a very small Cuban Bakery located maybe 15-20 blocks from Old Towne at White St. and United. They only make about 10 pies a day each selling for $7.00. Compare that to the Blond Giraffe's outrageous price of $30/pie, it's a real no brainer.:eek:

Go to the Pier House or their deli located on Front Street. I have been travelling to Key West since the early 60's and real key lime pie is light yellow in color, has a graham cracker crust and real whipped cream.

Enjoy!

I got this one, the Blond Giraffe is by far the best Key Lime Pie I have ever tasted!!! They are written up about and win prizes every year! I walk all the from the sea port in Key West in 90 degrees temps. to the Blond Giraffe and a piece of this pie! No matter what we have planned and what we wind up doing, the Blond Giraffe is at the top of the list!

Check out their website at www.blondgiraffe.com.

You won't be sorry, I promise!

The Blond Giraffe pie comes with meringue and is VERY SWEET. Not much tartness typical of the better key lime recipes. But hey, for $3.75 plus tax you can get a small slice to taste your yourself.

The Blond Giraffe pie comes with meringue and is VERY SWEET. Not much tartness typical of the better key lime recipes. But hey, for $3.75 plus tax you can get a small slice to taste your yourself.

I hear you Kal. I've found that when I go somewhere for vaction there are tourist places/prices and local places/prices. I love the local spots. Like when I was in Seattle (which I see your near). Found this place called "Hall's Mr.BBQ". A hole in the wall but they smoke thier own meat and the owner was very friendly.Best BBQ I've had in a long time.