Cruising with Metal in Body-- Requirements?

SeaMeCruisin

Looking for answers from experience here, and would greatly appreciate any info shared!

My Grandparents are going on their first cruise with us for the New Year, they both have metal in their bodies from various procedures, and are worried it could complicate getting on the ship for them. My Grandfather said he called someone at Carnival and was told he'd need a note from a doctor about this to board, but I can't find a thing on Carnival's website or anywhere else online that references this in any way.

Can anyone with experience help here?

Thanks!

I have new metal "parts"'as well. It is just like at the airport (without full body scanners) - no problem at all. I have always been told that no one should accept a note from a doctor as those could easily be forged so they need to quickly and easily check you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just tell them to "wand" you...not a big deal at all. You don't need a doctor's note, or proof of bionic body parts. Many replacement parts don't trigger the metal detector. Hubby has a pacemaker, so he can't go thru a magnet at all....so he simply gets wanted. After the 1st day, they don't bother anymore!

I broke my tibia at Mardi Gras (long story) 2 years ago, and as a congratulatory gift, I received a metal plate and about 12 screws. I always get a little concerned when I have to go through metal detectors, but I’ve never set one off yet. If your grandparents set off the alarms, no worries, they will wand them, find nothing, then let them go. Bon Voyage! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is a great example of the people at the 800 Carnival number who don't know anything about boarding Carnival ships!!

Your grandparents just have to go through security as they would at an airport.

Lots of people have metal implants these days!!

Nothing to worry about!!!

My husband has a pacemaker/defibrillator. He can not go through metal detectors or have a wand used on him. He tells security, & they have him step aside for a pat down. He is used to this at airports & on cruises. He carries a medical device card if they need proof. I have a photo ID medical device card for an artificial hip

I too have a defibrillator and whenever I get on the ship, I just point to it and they motion me to go around the metal detector and then wand me. I have the card that says I have one but after the first having it ready to show them, they never looked at it so I don't even get it out any more.

I have titanium rods and screws from spinal surgery that do not set off any alarms at either TSA or ship port terminal checks. However, I also have a cobalt and chromium total hip replacement (one of the recalled models) that does ring a normal TSA metal detector and sometimes the ship one as well.

I prefer using the full body scanner at the airports whenevr available. I have Global Entry and am TSA pre-checked so that may help as well. Oddly enough, I can usually go right through the metal detector at the ship's terminal, and almost never get dinged when returning to the ship in port.

As for a doctor's note, what are we back in the 60's? Anyone, including a 4 yr old can forge one on almost any electronic media these days.

My lower right leg is full of titanium and I have never set off the alarm, either at the airport or a cruise terminal. My BIL did set off the alarm at the cruise port in Galveston, they took him aside and wanded him and let him go. If your grandparents have titanium and not metal, they should be okay. Again, wanding should suffice IF the alarm does go off.

Looking for answers from experience here, and would greatly appreciate any info shared!

My Grandparents are going on their first cruise with us for the New Year, they both have metal in their bodies from various procedures, and are worried it could complicate getting on the ship for them. My Grandfather said he called someone at Carnival and was told he'd need a note from a doctor about this to board, but I can't find a thing on Carnival's website or anywhere else online that references this in any way.

Can anyone with experience help here?

Thanks!

Add me to the list of cruisers with bionics :D(metal parts).

I had a partial knee replacement in June, 2016. I do have to use the full body scanner at airports, but I have never set off an alarm on a ship. I have never had a note from a doctor, either. We cruise once a year with friends. Holly had a full knee replacement in 2014 and has also never set off an alarm nor had a doctor's note.

Have your grandparents read all these comments. This should ease their minds.

Thank you all so much! Just as I expected, but when I'm able to let my Grandfather read these responses, I'm sure he'll be much more at ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From my experience of traveling with someone who has some metal body parts, in our experience, the detectors used to board the ship are less sensitive than those used at airports. So your grandfather might set off the detector at the airport, and not the one to board the ship.

Grandpa should not be concerned at all about this. The worst case scenario is being wanded if the detector does go off.

Have a great cruise with your family!

I have an implanted medical device and, like people with pacemakers, am not able to go through the scanner. I can be wanded, they just need to avoid the area around my device. No-one ever turns a hair when I say I cannot go through the scanners. Considering that many cruisers are <ahem> slightly more mature, the security staff are well used to this.

I hope that your grandfather is reassured by these replies and that everyone has a wonderful cruise :)

I must be the lucky one here. Have had my left knee replaced 2 times due to infection and I get wanded or felt up or patted down at almost all airports. When I was on my Celebrity cruise in 2012 I got wanded and told them I had a knee everytime I got back on board.