serendipity1499

Hose vs NO-Hose

Just read on-line that Meghan Markle broke the (British) rule of going bare legged in public by not wearing panty hose..

It was said that this is now a rule in the U.S.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/whats-hot/meghan-markle-broke-this-royal-rule-at-her-engagement-announcement/ar-BBFYR7k?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

I'm considered elderly (by my kids-not me) & have always been told by the kids that I should go bare-legged if I wear sandals.. Therefore, I've been trying to do that, but find it uncomfortable..:cool: When I wear closed shoes I always wear some type of panty hose or knee highs if in slacks or long dresses..

Would I now be in style if I wore hose with sandals, or should I continue to go bare legged with sandals?

BTW I always get Mani's & Pedi's with matching polish..

Just read on-line that Meghan Markle broke the (British) rule of going bare legged in public by not wearing panty hose..

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/whats-hot/meghan-markle-broke-this-royal-rule-at-her-engagement-announcement/ar-BBFYR7k?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

I'm considered elderly (by my kids-not me) & have always been told by the kids that I should go bare-legged if I wear sandals.. Therefore, I've been trying to do that, but find it uncomfortable..:cool: When I wear closed shoes I always wear some type of panty hose or knee highs if in slacks or long dresses..

Would I now be in style if I wore hose with sandals, or should I continue to go bare legged with sandals?

Only fashionable if you're over 70, live in Berkeley and don't shave your legs. [emoji102]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't like the look if hose wirh sandals.

My legs aren't pretty, and my decision depends on how I look and the weather.

In the winter, I wear hose or tights because it's too cold not to here.

In weather that's warmer, but not warm enough for sandals, I may wear hose with a knee length dress to cover my ugly legs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

No hose with any type of open toe shoe--sandal, pump, peek-toe bootie.

Go with longer skirts or light weight pants if you are uncomfortable without hose.

I use a self-tanner or Sally Hansen AirBrush Legs. The Sally Hansen covers imperfections (sun damage, spider veins) fairly well.

Thanks for your comments..

Has anyone every tried the toeless hose?

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/hue-toeless-sheers-with-lace-panty?ID=2251649&pla_country=US&cm_mmc=MSN_Bing_Seasonal_PLA-_-All+Product+-+BS_All+Products-_-11617622401-_-pg105214_c_kclickid_7ade106a-8996-45ce-9ea8-da8d562f9530&trackingid=489x105214V

They might be something which would look good on legs which are not tanned..Years ago I had a pair but did not like the fit of them..They might be better now..:cool:

Now that you have an overwhelming response of "no hose with sandals", let me say I wear hose with some sandals. The nude-toed pantihose in the evening with dressy sandals with heels. I prefer how my legs look in hose, I prefer how the sandals feel on my feet, it is EVENING so the lights are dimmer, and seriously if someone can actually see that my pedicured toes are (slightly) obscured by my hose, they are FAR too close to my feet.

Casual sandals during the day? Bare feet.

Now that you have an overwhelming response of "no hose with sandals", let me say I wear hose with some sandals. The nude-toed pantihose in the evening with dressy sandals with heels. I prefer how my legs look in hose, I prefer how the sandals feel on my feet, it is EVENING so the lights are dimmer, and seriously if someone can actually see that my pedicured toes are (slightly) obscured by my hose, they are FAR too close to my feet.

Casual sandals during the day? Bare feet.

Love it! Thanks..I too think my legs look better in hose!:cool:

I'm also in the camp where we wear nude toe hose with our sandals. My legs aren't pretty, and I feel much more confident walking around wearing hose with an evening dress, than not. I have yet to have anyone come up to me and say "Seriously? You're wearing stockings with sandals?" If it's going to bother them that much, let it. As someone once said "what others think of me is none of my business."

Miss Markle has lovely young legs - let her do as she pleases.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I am on the side of wear what you like and feel the best in. If that’s hose then go for it. Nude hose are barely noticeable and for some of us, a much better choice than going bare legged just because it’s the current fashion.

Please yourself. Sometimes I wear

"Sandal foot" hose with open toe shoes depending on the weather, length of dress etc. and I am well under 70.

This can't be the only faux pas ... and objection to this girl. Really ... the brouhaha over Charles marrying Diana ... and now her son is marrying a briefcase opener from Deal or No Deal? OMG ...

I haven’t worn hose since I retired in 2011. Tights in the winter maybe

Thanks everyone for your comments..I ordered a pair of toeless hose for my cruise..Of course my dressy dresses or palazzo pants are long, so no one will see my ugly legs..

Today they are very ugly as ran out to put our car in the garage at 10:30 last night in old sandals which had lost traction.. Slipped on some wet pavement, fell flat on my rump & scrapped some skin off my right ankle/foot..It's now bandaged but we leave on our cruise in less than three weeks.. So hose it will be & might need to spend a few nights like last night on a heating pad.. Now I really need to get a DR's note for my heating pad which comes with me on our cruise.. :eek:

My rump still hurts, & my cropped pants were full of mud, but I'm delighted that I did not break anything as had the right hip replaced a few years ago....Thank goodness no one was around to see me fall.. BTW I hadn't even had one drink..:loudcry:

Serendipity, I have had your same indecision about hose and for casual wear I can go barefooted. For dressier ocassions I have always worn sandal foot hose.

I have considered the toeless and would really appreciated how you like them.

Thanks.

One vote for NO hose of any kind with sandals.......😱

Make that two votes. I never wear hose with sandals or open toe shoes. I always wear hose with closed toe shoes.

I hate hose. I will, however, wear them to DH's company holiday party in January. On a cruise, never. It's hot and humid and I don't need another layer.

I guess I am a little puzzled.

I completely understand wanting/needing to wear hose. I am 60 and fair skinned.

But what I don't understand is wearing sandals with hose. Why not wear a closed toe shoe?

Hose with open toe shoes seems sort of like wearing socks with flip flops. The whole point of open toe sandals is naked feet?

I am firmly in the "no hose with sandals" camp. If you feel better in hose then wear some really nice close-toe pumps,

I hate the “.new rule” of no hose. If it’s summer and one is young and tan and wearing sandles fine. But everyone else looks ill kept to me. Most women even with leg makeup .. ( yuck) look cheap without hose. Not a fan of this rule. Agree with the Queen on this one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I haven’t worn hose since I retired six years ago, don’t even own a pair anymore

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Absolutely not! I had a professor in college tell us that is a no no :o

I did buy some toeless hose and they are great. So with open toed heels I will wear them.

Ultimately we all have do wear what we are most comfortable in wearing.

I would say go with whatever is comfortable for you. I personally don't like wearing hose, at all. I have used a self tanning lotion, to give my legs some colour :-)

I am in the U.K. and have not come across this Megan story before!

It sounds like one of the funny fake news items from the National Enquiry magazine you have over there!

However to join the debate close toe tights (hose) with sandals a definite No.

Very sheer open toe yes!

I have to vote for toeless

Panty hose 100%.

They work for not just

sandals but evening heels

also.

You just need to make sure

the shoe had some sort of

band or strap to hide the seam in the hose.

I Don't have 21 year old legs

any more and Can't really

acquire a nice looking tan.

Toeless hose are a life saver

for me.

I do go with naked legs during the day if my gradual

natural tanner worked out

ok.

Tropicqueen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

Not sure where you’re cruising but please don’t wear hose with sandals. You can use leg makeup or bronzer to smooth out the tone of your legs. My Mom is uncomfortable with her legs so she just wears dressy pants outfits.

I haven’t worn hose in 20 years even in a corporate VP role . I live in FL so they would be unbearable here and more so in the Caribbean.

Doing 2 cruises, July in

the Caribbean and a Sept

Med.

Should have some tan by

July, but by Sept. It will be

fading.

Fine gage toeless hose look

very natural.

Unless someone feels your

legs not really noticeable.

I have had squamous cell

cancer and my son has had

Melanoma.

So am very conscious of

how much sun I get.

If your Mom has never seen

or worn toeless hose maybe

You could get her some.

Then she would not have

to be relegated to such a limited selection

of clothes.

Tropicqueen

I am finding this thread interesting. I wonder how many of the “no hose with sandals” voters wear slips?

I’m in my sixties and still wear slips and occasionally wear sheer toe hose with dressy sandals. It may be old fashioned but it’s no crime worthy of the fashion police .. Lol.

Live and let wear hose or not as you choose!!!

I am finding this thread interesting. I wonder how many of the “no hose with sandals” voters wear slips?

I’m in my sixties and still wear slips and occasionally wear sheer toe hose with dressy sandals. It may be old fashioned but it’s no crime worthy of the fashion police .. Lol.

Agreed! You have to feel comfortable with what you wear! Opinions shared are strictly my own as I assume others are. None of us are experts. My mom and I are avid cruisers and we wear what we love and feels comfortable to us!

Where is that darn “like” button when you need it. Seriously, I wear what I like and hope others do the same. As for the hose-no hose question, no hard and fast rules are necessary.

Where do you even find slips and pantyhose?

Posted (edited)
Doing 2 cruises, July in

the Caribbean and a Sept

Med.

Should have some tan by

July, but by Sept. It will be

fading.

Fine gage toeless hose look

very natural.

Unless someone feels your

legs not really noticeable.

I have had squamous cell

cancer and my son has had

Melanoma.

So am very conscious of

how much sun I get.

If your Mom has never seen

or worn toeless hose maybe

You could get her some.

Then she would not have

to be relegated to such a limited selection

of clothes.

Tropicqueen

Mom is not “relegated” to anything - it’s her preference. The reason she wears pants is that, like me, she doesn’t like the look of hose with sandals or in the summer at all for that matter. She has had some skin cancers removed leaving scars and self tanners help enough to enjoy Capri pants but not dresses. I have found some amazing self tanners that I use year round living in Florida and love the look and cooler feel of tanned bare legs with summer outfits. Again this is 100% personal choice but we are firmly on team “no hose with sandals”. After more than 30 cruises including 2 Mediterranean we are pretty comfortable with what we like wearing on cruises. :cool:

Edited by caugh51654

In a department store.

They are getting harder to find. Most major department stores still carry them.

Posted (edited)

I have worn toeless pantyhose before in the evenings. If I am in a dress and open toe fancy shoes, they make the outfit/ look feel "polished".

I agree with PP in that I like how certain dress shoes feel when I am wearing regular hose.

As an aside, I am almost 44 years old and for as long as I can remember - even going as far back as high school - I have always ALWAYS worn knee highs (hose) with casual shoes like ballet flats, etc., when wearing pants. Yes, even jeans.

Edited by welove2cruise2014

Well in a previous quote I said about not having seen any thing In UK press about Meghan and bare legs but there is plenty now!

She was seen wearing beige / nude tights (hose) in the wrong shade and the press are having a field day!