"Scented" Viking Star

marylovestotravel

Policies of "Scent free environments" have been around for a couple of decades. They are not about "sanitizing the environment", but about recognizing that some people are allergic to heavy scents in their environment. Much like some people have nut allergies. Almost all schools these days have a nut free policy because of peanut and other nut allergies that can be fatal. Likewise with seafood and shellfish allergies.

What is trivial to most people can be deadly to some.

Mia

Not around anywhere I’ve been and I’ve been around many many decades - back when none of this was an issue [emoji849]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Scent free policies??? Seriously? I have no issue with scents or perfume. I have a few that trigger allergies, so I always have antihistamines with me.

Frankly, I think we are going overboard with sanitizing the environment. And I don’t think it’s necessarily a good thing.

Frankly, I think you are being insensitive to the issue. I am an asthmatic where chemicals from perfumes, scented candles and other chemical sprays about can cause a great and frightening asthma attack. Walk in an elevator in my shoes with people ladened with perfume and see how your evening goes.

Because it doesn’t effect you how could possibly write “Frankly, I think we are going overboard with sanitizing the environment. And I don’t think it’s necessarily a good thing.”

Here's a thought - ask. Go up to the staff member and ask what it is they are doing. There may just be a good reason they are spraying something (disinfecting, cleaning, etc.) I have never heard of a cruise line (or hotel, airline, etc.) just spraying for no apparent reason. A little research on your part (instead of posting here) might ease your mind (and avoid panic in future cruisers). Let us know what you find out.

The person spraying in the elevator on the Sky two weeks ago told me it was an air freshener.

Anyone who has a sensitivity should contact Viking and inquire about what they are spraying.

It could be a scent or it could be something to remove odors. Perhaps it is organic and perhaps not.

If I had a chemical sensitivity and was exposed to someone spraying onboard--I would ask onboard what they are spraying. Onus would be on me to identify triggers.

What is the point of complaining on this board and then saying you refuse to ask what they are spraying? That won't solve the problem nor will it help anyone else with sensitivities.

Isn't this all just getting out of hand? People need no nuts? Got it. No goose down? Right. No dairy? Lactose issue - check. Now it's gluten free, low salt, no spice, low sugar, no carb, and now no scent?! Enough. With all these problems and allergies here's an idea: stay home and do the rest of us a favor and let us enjoy our vacations without all the nonsense and complaining. Insensitive? Probably, but I doubt I'm the only one that feels this way.

Isn't this all just getting out of hand? People need no nuts? Got it. No goose down? Right. No dairy? Lactose issue - check. Now it's gluten free, low salt, no spice, low sugar, no carb, and now no scent?! Enough. With all these problems and allergies here's an idea: stay home and do the rest of us a favor and let us enjoy our vacations without all the nonsense and complaining. Insensitive? Probably, but I doubt I'm the only one that feels this way.

The thing that gets me is that none of this used to be an issue until maybe 20 years ago - tops. When I grew up people smoked everywhere. Women wore perfume. No one worried about food. Every kid I went to school with ate peanut butter and jelly on Wonderbread, and no one got sick. We drank whole milk. Moms made homemade cookies and cupcakes for school parties. I never even knew anyone with an allergy except maybe hay fever.

I don’t know what’s going on these days. It’s wacky. It’s like everyone needs a totally sanitized environment. Maybe we all need our own little bubble so we don’t come in contact with anything. I can’t deal with it anymore. My mother used to say, “you have to eat a pound of dirt before you die.” I’m working on it [emoji13]

Maybe it’s just me, but Marylikestotravel started this post. She is on the ship. It was suggested that she ask Viking - again, since she is on the ship. She doesn’t want to do that.....so it has me wondering What is the point in the thread when she can right then and there get her answer?

Have to side with recent comments....I know I may sound insensitive, but I think the ball maybe now should be in OP’s court....

JMHO

The thing that gets me is that none of this used to be an issue until maybe 20 years ago - tops. When I grew up people smoked everywhere. Women wore perfume. No one worried about food. Every kid I went to school with ate peanut butter and jelly on Wonderbread, and no one got sick. We drank whole milk. Moms made homemade cookies and cupcakes for school parties. I never even knew anyone with an allergy except maybe hay fever.

I don’t know what’s going on these days. It’s wacky. It’s like everyone needs a totally sanitized environment. Maybe we all need our own little bubble so we don’t come in contact with anything. I can’t deal with it anymore. My mother used to say, “you have to eat a pound of dirt before you die.” I’m working on it [emoji13]

What is the purpose of this rant? This thread has been entirely and exclusively about scenting the air by Viking. Not even about a passenger's perfume, much less any of these other issues. We're here to discuss Viking using scented air spray, not your political agenda. Take it somewhere else.

The person spraying in the elevator on the Sky two weeks ago told me it was an air freshener.

Thanks for the direct answer from a crew member.

It makes sense to me to keep the elevators fresh from stinky odors.

If one is adverse to even this scent, which seems to be only one person so far on board, there always the stairs to use for awhile.

Many pass cruisers of Viking have not had a problem, even one with asthma, if you reread this thread.

So my take is it is not a problem and time to move on to fresh topics.:)

What is the purpose of this rant? This thread has been entirely and exclusively about scenting the air by Viking. Not even about a passenger's perfume, much less any of these other issues. We're here to discuss Viking using scented air spray, not your political agenda. Take it somewhere else.

A) The OP seems to feel that the environment should be “scent free.” See the first post and the OPs response to my astonishment over “scent free” environment - which I’ve never heard of. Others want the environment to be gluten free or nut free (granted not in this thread, but “scent free” is that proverbial last straw). There were other comments about perfume, so this thread was not “exclusively about scenting the air by Viking”

B) I’m not the one with the political agenda. I’m not the one trying to sanitize the world I think you need to read all the posts.

C) Who died and left you boss? Where do you get the idea that you can tell me or anyone else to “Take it somewhere else?” You don’t make the rules.

A) The OP seems to feel that the environment should be “scent free.” See the first post and the OPs response to my astonishment over “scent free” environment - which I’ve never heard of. Others want the environment to be gluten free or nut free (granted not in this thread, but “scent free” is that proverbial last straw). There were other comments about perfume, so this thread was not “exclusively about scenting the air by Viking”

B) I’m not the one with the political agenda. I’m not the one trying to sanitize the world I think you need to read all the posts.

C) Who died and left you boss? Where do you get the idea that you can tell me or anyone else to “Take it somewhere else?” You don’t make the rules.

Cyber Kat - well written! You are not the only one who thinks like this, it's getting absolutely ridiculous with some people jumping onto the proverbial bandwagon with allergies to this and that and the next blooming thing - and I've never heard of this "scent free" save the etnvironment either! It's refreshing to see so many common sense posts on this thread and some really need to get a grip on reality.

BTW we did not notice any strong smells during our cruise with Viking - what we did notice on a recent Azamara cruise was the stink of residual smoke in the hallways near the spa emanating from the smoker's area by the pool and all the lifts always had a very stale almost "stale, stuffy sweaty" smell! Now that's what I would use the "Ugh" comment for! Give us the beautiful freshness of Viking ships anytime!

I don’t know what’s going on these days. It’s wacky. It’s like everyone needs a totally sanitized environment

My goodness, smoking, peanut butter, Wonderbread, whole milk and chemicals in perfume are all good. Thanks. I’m not following your diet or perfume habit.

Edited by Oville

CyberKat---you are being labelled insensitive when actually you are primarily ill-informed.

Asthma has been skyrocketing since 1980 worldwide. 7.6% of the population has asthma now.

70% of those with asthma have allergies--food, scent, smoke, etc. So things are different than 'the good old days' when you grew up.

Allergic reactions with asthma pose the risk of an anaphylactic episode---which can be fatal. Adults are 4 times as likely to die from anaphylaxis than children. And those over 65 are are even higher risk.

1 in 13 people in the US have asthma. The equivalent of around 120 people on a Viking Ocean ship.

I don't deal with asthma or allergies but I would not dismiss a growing health issue that affects 7.6% of the population. That is insensitive.

I hope this discussion is over.

CyberKat---you are being labelled insensitive when actually you are primarily ill-informed.

Asthma has been skyrocketing since 1980 worldwide. 7.6% of the population has asthma now.

70% of those with asthma have allergies--food, scent, smoke, etc. So things are different than 'the good old days' when you grew up.

Allergic reactions with asthma pose the risk of an anaphylactic episode---which can be fatal. Adults are 4 times as likely to die from anaphylaxis than children. And those over 65 are are even higher risk.

1 in 13 people in the US have asthma. The equivalent of around 120 people on a Viking Ocean ship.

I don't deal with asthma or allergies but I would not dismiss a growing health issue that affects 7.6% of the population. That is insensitive.

I hope this discussion is over.

Thank you.

I am so glad to see that some know they have a problem and take situations in their own hands to handle them and don't expect the world to revolve around them. It may be a problem for a few but certainly not the majority and that is who things are geared for. With Viking age target, I thought most of us had grown up enough, not to put ourselves in uncomfortable situations. The whole scented elevator thing can be handled by taking the stairs when not many other people are doing that. If that's not an option, then we must adjust to fit the norm.

I’ve been a nurse for over 35 years. When I went to nursing school, it was policy that we could not wear any perfume, that patients were definitely affected by scents. So this really isn’t anything new. Unfortunately some people are unaware of how much to use or how strong their colognes might be. Nut and seafood allergies are a real thing. I’ve taken care of enough people in anaphylaxis in the ER to know. Low salt is necessary for those with heart failure, just as low sugar is necessary for diabetics. None of these medical issues are a reason for anyone to “stay home”, but they do require one to be educated and know what to avoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

?

I didn't see anything political at all in Kat's post... unless they stealth edited?

I'm on the Viking Star right now and have been noticing what I thought was a lot of people wearing perfume. In these days of being scent-free, I found it annoying as I've always found that one person's favourite scent may be another person's offensive one, especially when sprayed on heavily. And then there are the cheap scents that are used in some commercial sprays.

Imagine my surprise when my husband points out someone with a large mister (like for plants) walking around spraying the air! So that is what has been so annoying in the elevator! Not someone's left-over perfume, but a deliberate policy of polluting our senses!

Has anyone else noticed this or am I the only one? In this day and age of "scent free" policies in public buildings, why is Viking doing this?

Mia

I was on the cruise before, Rome to Athens, and they had some health issues, rumor had that it was legionnaires disease, especially after they announced that the hot water temperature was going to be raised. I'm guessing that the spraying you encountered was somehow connected?