Unfriendly gays on cruises

tennboy1981

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 1:22 PM, photocat75 said:

over the top , perhaps an old fashion word

think, going to dinner on a viking ship wearing an old fashion smoking jacket, tux pants, silk slippers and a silk top hat  

folks loved it as they did him and when they found out he could really sing  he was being invited to parties all over the US when we got home 

Sorry for the late response! Sounds like he's a lot of fun to be around.

• 5 weeks later...

I just finished up a 12 day voyage on Queen Mary 2 last month. The first four days were from Southampton to Hamburg and back with a straight couple who are very gay friendly. At six in the evening we would meet in my suite or the the Queens Grill Lounge for a pre dinner drink, so I didn't get a chance to attend the Friends gathering those days. The remaining eight days the Friends gathering was as enjoyable as in years past with the usual couple of 'characters' who tend to make pills of themselves for some reason. but I Iet it pass. The ages of the Friends ranged from 30s to at least 75(me) which I think reflects on the Queen Mary passengers in general. 

On prior voyages from Hamburg with a large number of Germans aboard, there were few Germans at the Friends gathering. It would have been interesting to see if that were the case on the latest voyage where there were a lot of Germans on the Hamburg to Southampton leg. For the Southampton to NYC leg there were a few English speaking Germans who attended, and I wonder if language is the barrier. 

Interestingly because I was traveling solo for the Southampton to NYC leg, I was seated at a table by my self in the Queens Grill. Those couples at tables near by went out of their way to talk to me, I guess feeling sorry for me, but they were very kind. I enjoyed this voyage so much I am doing it again in 2020 (July 22 from Hamburg) and 2021 (also July 22 from Hamburg).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigmike911 said:

I just finished up a 12 day voyage on Queen Mary 2 last month. The first four days were from Southampton to Hamburg and back with a straight couple who are very gay friendly. At six in the evening we would meet in my suite or the the Queens Grill Lounge for a pre dinner drink, so I didn't get a chance to attend the Friends gathering those days. The remaining eight days the Friends gathering was as enjoyable as in years past with the usual couple of 'characters' who tend to make pills of themselves for some reason. but I Iet it pass. The ages of the Friends ranged from 30s to at least 75(me) which I think reflects on the Queen Mary passengers in general. 

On prior voyages from Hamburg with a large number of Germans aboard, there were few Germans at the Friends gathering. It would have been interesting to see if that were the case on the latest voyage where there were a lot of Germans on the Hamburg to Southampton leg. For the Southampton to NYC leg there were a few English speaking Germans who attended, and I wonder if language is the barrier. 

Interestingly because I was traveling solo for the Southampton to NYC leg, I was seated at a table by my self in the Queens Grill. Those couples at tables near by went out of their way to talk to me, I guess feeling sorry for me, but they were very kind. I enjoyed this voyage so much I am doing it again in 2020 (July 22 from Hamburg) and 2021 (also July 22 from Hamburg).

Thank you for the information on your Queen Mary 2 transatlantic.  I have just completed my booking (NYC to Southampton) leaving May 31,2020 and am also traveling solo in the Queens Grill as I got a very good deal.  I hope I have as pleasant a voyage as you had.  I will check out the "Friends" gathering.  I am older than you so I will really bring up the average age in the group.  Thanks again for your mini review.

Mike:  Glad that you enjoyed the diners in Queens Grill.  We were on a TA in September and met some wonderful folks at the LGBT cocktail parties, and we met some not-so-wonderful people.  We had dinner with the wonderful ones.

I have mostly cruised alone as I will be in late November. I have met younger too cool guys and friendly young guys. The same with older guys.

Seabourn invites me to dine with a prearranged table that is hosted by a friendly staff person. It's a great way to meet people.

1 hour ago, PRgymnast said:

Thank the Universe none of you spouting negatives are on my next cruise. I've had nothing but great experiences at NCL FOD visits.  RCCL was hit or miss. It does work out well sometimes!

Comments seem pretty positive to me???

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

Comments seem pretty positive to me???

Yes, they mostly were and that has also been my experience.  My post wasn't directed towards those folks. I'm addressing the negative commentators and the looking down upon others. 

27 minutes ago, PRgymnast said:

Yes, they mostly were and that has also been my experience.  My post wasn't directed towards those folks. I'm addressing the negative commentators and the looking down upon others. 

I think if you display positivity, you will see that more in other people, as people pick up on your positive attitude.

• Like 2

On 10/21/2019 at 3:46 PM, tv24 said:

Mike:  Glad that you enjoyed the diners in Queens Grill.  We were on a TA in September and met some wonderful folks at the LGBT cocktail parties, and we met some not-so-wonderful people.  We had dinner with the wonderful ones.

The not so wonderful ones, were the 'pills'. 

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

I know this is an older thread but I have appreciated it.  My husband is 51 and I'm 49.  We have been together 21 years and married for 7.  We love cruises and travel in general but I think, perhaps, we come off as "standoffish."  We always meet people on cruises and land trips....gay and straight, have made some lifelong friends while traveling...hell, met a young straight couple at a bus stop in Iceland last year and ended up going to dinner with them.  That said, neither of us are fans of crowds, add to that he rarely drinks and I don't drink at all.  (wow, we sound really boring, lol).

Well, we have a cruise coming up on Celebrity Edge in a little over a week and because of this thread I posted to the LGBTQ roll calls.   

16 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Hate crowds?  What do you like about cruising?  The ports?  Hope you enjoy!

We both like "disconnecting".  Getting more and more difficult in the 24/7 connected world we live in.  We love sea days and long repositioning cruises.  We are both very busy with careers and it's our time together to reconnect, sleep in and go to bed early.  Going to endeavor to be more social on this coming trip.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I find if you are friendly to others it's no problem.  Do you always sit with your partner?  Do you stay in one place or move around?

Really depends, we are not "attached at the hip."  if he finds an activity he is interested in and I'm not he will participate.  I almost always workout in the morning, especially on sea days...that is not his thing.  that said, we do try and spend a good deal of our time together while on vacation.

We were recently on the Viking Jupiter and noticed a rather bearish couple. They seemed pleasant enough so at dinner I went over to say hello. I asked if they were “Friends of Dorothy” and they looked at me like I was crazy. Sadly, I never spoke to them again, although I got a wave here and there. It seems 40 somethings know little about gay history.