Unfriendly gays on cruises

tennboy1981

My husband and I are currently sailing on the Celebrity Millennium 14 night from Tokyo to Vancouver BC. Quite a few gay couples on board.  Really only met one couple that wanted to be social and we had dinner with them one night. The others do not want to give you the time of day.  On the other hand we have met and made good friends with several different straight couples. Even had invites to stay in their homes that are in a different locations in the world.  I still do not understand why so many gay couples have a hair up their ass.  

• Like 2

On NCL there was a nice meet & greet on the first sea day.  Interesting conversation.  Later we would walk into a restaurant and see two other gay couples, none of them sharing tables.  Went back another night for get together but no one was there.

2 hours ago, movie buff said:

My husband and I are currently sailing on the Celebrity Millennium 14 night from Tokyo to Vancouver BC. Quite a few gay couples on board.  Really only met one couple that wanted to be social and we had dinner with them one night. The others do not want to give you the time of day.  On the other hand we have met and made good friends with several different straight couples. Even had invites to stay in their homes that are in a different locations in the world.  I still do not understand why so many gay couples have a hair up their ass.  

How funny and true.  Don't take a vacation if so uptight about if people talk with you or not.

DocRonPS - Yes, we have a cruise coming up on May 26th out of NOLA for my graduation.

MishelleMcc – I totally agree!

Everyone – I mean, we have met a bunch of people on our cruises.  I have even started a Facebook page for the “fun” people that I have met since I first started cruising, back in 2003.  Someone’s sexuality doesn’t matter to me especially when I’m looking to just relax on vacation.  If someone is nice, funny, and exciting to be around then I don’t care if they’re LGBT+ or not.  On the other hand, it would be nice to have another gay couple to hang out with while on a cruise so you don’t feel like such a minority. 

57 minutes ago, Cusp79 said:

DocRonPS - Yes, we have a cruise coming up on May 26th out of NOLA for my graduation.

MishelleMcc – I totally agree!

Everyone – I mean, we have met a bunch of people on our cruises.  I have even started a Facebook page for the “fun” people that I have met since I first started cruising, back in 2003.  Someone’s sexuality doesn’t matter to me especially when I’m looking to just relax on vacation.  If someone is nice, funny, and exciting to be around then I don’t care if they’re LGBT+ or not.  On the other hand, it would be nice to have another gay couple to hang out with while on a cruise so you don’t feel like such a minority. 

Congrats!  I lv from Copenhagen June 7th on Baltic Cruise with NCL.  Strike up a conversation over meals at the  next table and you might find a traveling mate for day trips. I do when sitting solo. Enjoy

Ron

And to be honest, most of the gay guys we've talked with who have be "inappropriate" have been 30+, none have been younger gay guys.  I mean, we all have our own definition of "inappropriate" but then when you don't talk to those individuals one the cruise you get called "snobby".  😞

Some interesting posts and going back to the OP post I’ve seen similar on other lines.

its worse for solo/single gay passengers as a lot of couples who aren’t in long term relations/married seem very insecure (maybe due to the amount of alcohol flowing or experiences on land) with one of them talking to a solo guy at the bar so instead they tend to join other couples.

it doesn’t bother me and after the first night or two unless there are others willing to talk I “ditch the group” and happy chat to str8 passengers.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Single Cruiser said:

Some interesting posts and going back to the OP post I’ve seen similar on other lines.

its worse for solo/single gay passengers as a lot of couples who aren’t in long term relations/married seem very insecure (maybe due to the amount of alcohol flowing or experiences on land) with one of them talking to a solo guy at the bar so instead they tend to join other couples.

it doesn’t bother me and after the first night or two unless there are others willing to talk I “ditch the group” and happy chat to str8 passengers.  

We are happy to talk to singles unless you are drunk and are hitting on one of us.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

We are happy to talk to singles unless you are drunk and are hitting on one of us.  

And quite right to.   My strategy is usually to go the meetings early and be sat at the bar and not knowing who are couples etc wait until someone talks to me first, avoids any “misunderstandings” but sometimes I can appear unsociable.  It’s a hit and miss strategy.. 

First FOD on NCL was great.  Lots of singles in groups..few couples.  Planned several side trips.  Second one less great due to newly-relationship couples. Met up occ later at pools or late at night around the ship, rarely for dinner.  But I am social and talked to people at meals.   So hit of miss.  Just go to Meet and Greet in the beginning and sit in middle ( not at bar) and they will show up.  Got a shirt with name of your city, might a conversation started.  HAVE FUN AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.   Too much energy spent.  LOL

On 5/12/2019 at 7:35 PM, zitsky said:

You've been to a few NCL FOD?  What did you think?

FOD with NCL is a good thing that they have them or offer them.  Nice way to meet other people.  It is a mixed bag.  One time I was late getting to the FOD meeting and my boyfriend made it there before me.  All of the guys at the FOD on that cruise hated me because they wanted my boyfriend.  It was worse than High School.  That was years ago.  Who knows.  They were a bunch of ugly people.  I still had a nice time on that cruise.  Princess cruises offers FOD too.  I tend to stick to the gym. Love working out on cruises.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

FOD with NCL is a good thing that they have them or offer them.  Nice way to meet other people.  It is a mixed bag.  One time I was late getting to the FOD meeting and my boyfriend made it there before me.  All of the guys at the FOD on that cruise hated me because they wanted my boyfriend.  It was worse than High School.  That was years ago.  Who knows.  They were a bunch of ugly people.  I still had a nice time on that cruise.  Princess cruises offers FOD too.  I tend to stick to the gym. Love working out on cruises.

That sometimes happens to me.  Guys lusting after my husband.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

That sometimes happens to me.  Guys lusting after my husband.

Glad you got a cute husband.  Lucky.  Boy, so much negativity on this subject.  Just everyone have a good vacation or don't go if worried about how gays will treat you!  I am outta  here to Paris so hopefully everyone can chill.  LOL

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DocRonPS said:

Glad you got a cute husband.  Lucky.  Boy, so much negativity on this subject.  Just everyone have a good vacation or don't go if worried about how gays will treat you!  I am outta  here to Paris so hopefully everyone can chill.  LOL

I wouldn't worry so much.  We're just sharing stories.

• Like 1

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only person who has had mostly bad experiences.  The last time I was at a FOD get together it was mainly 20 something kiddos, key word "kiddos", talking about their sexual experiences, dick sizes, the guys on the ship they want to sleep with and how much fun it is to try and sleep with married str8 guys.  The few 30+ guys wouldn't talk to us because they were fawning over the 20 something guys, in hopes of sleeping with them.  Usually on the cruise the str8 guys come over to us because they know we're not trying to flirt/sleep with them.  I was so disgusted that I haven't gone back to a FOD get together since, that was about 5 cruises ago. 

31 minutes ago, Cusp79 said:

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only person who has had mostly bad experiences.  The last time I was at a FOD get together it was mainly 20 something kiddos, key word "kiddos", talking about their sexual experiences, dick sizes, the guys on the ship they want to sleep with and how much fun it is to try and sleep with married str8 guys.  The few 30+ guys wouldn't talk to us because they were fawning over the 20 something guys, in hopes of sleeping with them.  Usually on the cruise the str8 guys come over to us because they know we're not trying to flirt/sleep with them.  I was so disgusted that I haven't gone back to a FOD get together since, that was about 5 cruises ago. 

I bet for $100..... 

25 minutes ago, Cusp79 said:

Zitsky - Huh?

For $100 I could teach you how to get their attention.

It will always be a problem, finding someone to spend your time with.  Gay or straight it is the same.