Teeth Whitening

Krazy Kruizers

I saw this advertised a few years ago, but IIRC it was done by the ship's dentist. He's an independent contractor, but I'm betting that HAL got a cut.

Are you certain that it was spa staff working on teeth?:eek:

• Administrators

Cruise Critic's editor just did a report in her virtual cruise about this. She was on Carnival Liberty but I'm pretty sure it's the same gig. It was done by spa personnel. I think you can find the virtual cruise on the homepage.

Gentle Touch Tooth Whitening is offered through The Greenhouse Spa for $199 (Consultation is free). Early bookers get a 2-week maintenance program. It promises 1-8 shades whiter teeth, but when I had it done here at home (about $400) , the gradations were barely perceptable. It's listed under Spa Services... no dentist is mentioned.

Candy <-- not booked, and not happy

On our October 26 Volendam cruise a tooth whitening seminar was held in the spa. The daily notice did not name the person presenting. The tooth whitening was touted twice in the spa services section of the Daily Happenings sheet.

"GENTLE TOUCH TOOTH WHITENING

A cleaner, whiter smile can be yours right now for only Original Price $600 Ocean Spa price $199"

Still no mention of who does it, so we have to surmise it is Spa staff. Many pax are totally unaware that there is a dentist on board, so if the dentist was doing it, they should so state.

Yikes! How much do Whitestrips cost??

On my Caribbean Princess cruise this past September, this same thing was advertised (for the same price) in their Lotus Spa. I talked to a couple of ladies who had it done, and they said they had to sign a waiver stating that no gradations were guaranteed, and some more stuff, which I can't remember. They seemed to feel that the whole thing was just (another) Spa rip-off (meaning money-maker), and were sorry they had done it. Personally, I think that the same "teeth whitening" contractors are making the rounds on many cruise lines. BTW - they said it was done by Spa personnel.

We took a tour of the spa services after embarkation on the Oosterdam on 12/3 and sure enough they were offering teeth whitening. The tour guide said the whitening will last for 10 years! My wife, a Dental Hygienist, rolled her eyes and said "sure if you drink nothing but water and eat mashed potatoes for the next 10 years." She agreed it is a rip off.

I have worked in a dental office for over 30 years. Whatever bleaching that you do has to be kept up. Everything you eat and drink will stain your teeth. Even with the light system, in Virginia it is about $500, trays are made for home touch up. White strips can be bought over the counter and work pretty well.

• 10 months later...

One thing to think about before having your teeth whitened is if you have crowns - they won't bleach. I have several - my natural teeth will whiten but my crowns will not - they would have to be replaced to match new 'whiter' teeth. When crowns are put in, they are colored to match you teeth at that time so if you plan to whiten your teeth, do the whitening first, then the crowns!

I don't think I want a spa person touching my teeth!

One thing to think about before having your teeth whitened is if you have crowns - they won't bleach. I have several - my natural teeth will whiten but my crowns will not - they would have to be replaced to match new 'whiter' teeth. When crowns are put in, they are colored to match you teeth at that time so if you plan to whiten your teeth, do the whitening first, then the crowns!

I don't think I want a spa person touching my teeth!

;) Mine are Gold......should I ask the spa to paint my teeth gold to match? :D

Of course, any crowns that show in the front would be what you are speaking of. :) Though I suppose some people don't have gold ones used even in the back.

On Celebrity they had the machinery and chairs set up at the entrance to the gym and there was actually someone in the process of having their teeth whitened while people were walking back and forth! The only procedure that I have tried for the first time on a ship was accupuncture for my knee while I was sailing on the Queen Mary 2. It was an incredible success. My previous pain and stiffness has been completely gone since that time - February of 2004.

;) Mine are Gold......should I ask the spa to paint my teeth gold to match? :D

Of course, any crowns that show in the front would be what you are speaking of. :) Though I suppose some people don't have gold ones used even in the back.

I do have one in front but would prefer all of them to match!

Archived