Treatment of staff by guests

garycd

On 4/3/2019 at 8:43 PM, peacefulOR said:

"Why should the paying guests somehow be held to a higher standard?" Maybe because we believe that we answer to a higher authority than a cruise line and treat others equitably, whatever their perceived status. The question isn't about the crew doing their job; it's about our own behavior.

Magandang gabi po.

Salamat!

On 4/3/2019 at 8:02 PM, Expat Cruise said:

Sorry our job to fix the World. As already stated we have paid for the cruise, with our own money. What we do with that money and how we spend it is up to us. If others want to give away money go ahead and do so, it is your money. But put your hand in our cookie jar and you will not have a hand. 

I can't forget this quote....who said anything about putting a hand in your cookie jar. We have been speaking about what should be common courtesy and respect for all. I gave you the respect by responding with "have a beautiful day" po. I'd like to take that po away if I could.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have to be honest anyone who treats staff badly in front of me for no apparent reason shouldn't have any issue with me saying very loudly "WOW THAT WAS RUDE" because I absolutely will. I will also let management know how well their staffers behaved toward someone who was acting like a hot mess and let management know I commend them for keeping their cool.  ❤️  

Edited by DestineyFish
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

2 years ago we were on a Southern Caribbean cruise on the Royal Princess.

We had chosen my time dining and the first night went to dinner around 5:30 and were seated at a table by the window that we really liked.

The assistant waiter came by and we immediately hit it off with her and proceeded to have a great evening.

The next night we came back at the same time , but were seated on the opposite side of the room and served of course by other staff who were very pleasant as well. While having dinner, the assistant waiter from the night before spotted us and came over to find out why we on the other side of the room. When we told her we requested her table, but were seated here, she found the head waiter and brought him over to talk to us. 

Long story short, we got to sit at the first table for the rest of our cruise.

I agree with others who have said that cruise staff can make or break a cruise and treating the staff with respect increases the odds of having a great cruise.

• Like 5

I totally agree, treat others like how you like to be treated! always look people in the eye and smile. It doesn't cost anything and it makes the world a little beter.

It does happen on board cruise ships, but I also see it happen in restaurants were I have a meal. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've worked in hospitality for almost seven years now and let me tell you something. There is NOTHING worse than having to leave home, leave your family go to work just to be treated lesser by someone who is upset because their vacation isn't "perfect". If I'm out and I see servers, waitresses, whoever being treated wrongly by the people they are there to help I stand up for them as often as I can.

Just please please for God's sake be kind. It doesn't take that much effort, and its so much more refreshing than being rude. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, anykiad said:

I've worked in hospitality for almost seven years now and let me tell you something. There is NOTHING worse than having to leave home, leave your family go to work just to be treated lesser by someone who is upset because their vacation isn't "perfect". If I'm out and I see servers, waitresses, whoever being treated wrongly by the people they are there to help I stand up for them as often as I can.

Just please please for God's sake be kind. It doesn't take that much effort, and its so much more refreshing than being rude. 

Why do people believe they have the right involve themselves in things that is not their concern? I was at a port call, and saw another cruise member in a dispute over a travel fee. Could tell it was another cruiser off the ship because wearing the cruise card. A second unrelated cruise traveler came over and she want to get involved. The driver was not happy and knocked her to the ground. She went to the hospital the local security let the driver go.  So be careful involving yourself in things you have no place in. It could be harmful.

13 minutes ago, Expat Cruise said:

Why do people believe they have the right involve themselves in things that is not their concern? I was at a port call, and saw another cruise member in a dispute over a travel fee. Could tell it was another cruiser off the ship because wearing the cruise card. A second unrelated cruise traveler came over and she want to get involved. The driver was not happy and knocked her to the ground. She went to the hospital the local security let the driver go.  So be careful involving yourself in things you have no place in. It could be harmful.

That sounds horrible. And I think you’re right to advise caution but I think it’s important to stand up for other people when you can do so safely💗

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Just found this thread and it reminded me of something that happened when I took my family on an Alaskan cruise 8 years ago. I always tip my cabin steward at the beginning of a cruise, and it always results in top-notch service and attention. On this particular cruise, our cabin steward's wife gave birth to their son in the Philippines during the cruise. We were so happy for him, and yet so sad that he wasn't able to be there with his newly expanded family but was, instead, taking care of us. At our next port, we stopped in a store to get a card for him. We wrote a personal note of congratulations and enclosed some additional cash as a gift. I cannot begin to describe how grateful he was. And apparently he told his fellow crew members because within a few hours and for the rest of the cruise, we were treated like royalty by everyone because of what we had done for their friend (it was a smaller NCL ship). We didn't do it for the service - we did it because for us, it was the right thing to do. It was a nice thing to do. It was a human thing to do.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, grobma said:

we did it because for us, it was the right thing to do. It was a nice thing to do. It was a human thing to do.

Maybe not quite accurate, but the message is the same:  When you do it for the least of these, you do it for me.  

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

On all our cruises,the staff have been fantastic! Most notable (probably because we see them more often) are the cabin attendants. From the first meeting when we board they are there with happy smiles and a 'can do' attitude. We always take the time to get to know them, ask about where they are from etc. They are human beings and deserve to be treated with respect both for themselves and the wonderful job they do. Bear in mind that they are far from home, living in cramped quarters often for 8 months straight working 7 days a week (sometimes 12 hours a day) and dealing with the general public who can be abysmal in their attitudes and behaviour. Yes, their living conditions and pay are probably better than their country of origin, but that is no excuse to treat them as second class citizens. I remember a lovely young lady working in one of the bars whose nickname was 'Sunshine' (this was seven years ago and I have never forgotten her). And how apt that was. She was from Port Vila Vanuatu which had been recently devastated by a cyclone at the time. Fortunately her family was uninjured but she was understandably worried about them. However, she continued to do her job with a big smile and the only reason we knew what was going on in the background is because we took the trouble to chat to her. She gave everyone great service but just that bit extra for us.

I've worked in retail and hospitality and it truly is a pleasant change when customers treat you with respect and understanding. Some people seem to think that they can subject you to rudeness and abuse just because you are a 'server'. Not so. We are doing an honest day's work selling you that dress and it's no different to anyone else working for a living (from the CEO to the Janitor). It costs absolutely nothing to be kind to everyone.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 12/12/2017 at 7:24 AM, garycd said:

There's a saying: "treat others like you would like to be treated."

It amazes when I see cruise passengers (guests, if you prefer) treat cruise servers or other staff as if they were mechanical robots, not acknowledging them, not saying please or thank you, or some equivalent display of civility, but treating them as if they are a different class of people than themselves. I find that much of the enjoyment of a cruise is getting to know and interacting with the staff. It's worth the time when passing an employee scrubbing away at the stairs or the deck, to learn a bit about where they are from, how long they have worked on the particular ship, etc. A cruise is so much more fun when you know the staff by their names and get to greet them when you see them each time.

Many of these crew members have left their family to take a position on a ship in order to support that family, ensure proper care for their elderly family members, or ensure a better education for their children. If if they have taken a position for the adventure of working on a ship, they are still away from their family, friends and the village, town or city they grew up in. They really don't need or deserve rude treatment from "entitled" passengers. Seems to me, since we are the fortunate ones able to take cruises, that we should be at our very best when interacting with the people working on the ships.

you sound like a very nice person

• Like 1