Cruising with a CPAP

Defarge

Hello all,

I use a CPAP machine and we will be sailing on the Victory and was wondering if there was an outlet near the bed or will I need to bring a long extention cord. We were on the Pride last year but I didn't bring my machine. I told my wife I would be more diligent in using it this year. Also I hope Carnival will allow me to bring distilled water for its use.

As a fellow cpap user and often cruiser I bring my machine all the time. I usually bring an extension for my machine and other electronic devices. However on the one time on the splendor I’ve forgotten it and the cabin steward was able to supply one for me. As for the water now that they have a policy where you can’t bring water onboard I never asked. They sell purified water onboard and I found it works well enough. I hope you find this helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

CCL will provide you with an extension cord, and you can purchase a gallon of distilled water from them as well for $3. Just call special needs and it will be waiting when you board.

*I know their website says to bring your own extension cord, but special needs told me not to, and they would provide it. Which they did both times so far. I have only had the Cpap for the last year and a half.

You cannot bring your own distilled water but you can purchase it from Carnival thru room service. I always bring an extension cord.

From the Carnival FAQ's:

"Carnival Cruise Line permits guest who use BIPAP, CPAP, Concentrator, and Nebulizers onboard.

You must bring your own equipment onboard for personal use. Please hand-carry these items and do not place them in your checked luggage. There is one electrical outlet in each stateroom located in the area of the desk/vanity. The outlet is equipped with a 3-prong 110 volt (North America Grounded) and a 220 volt (Europe German-Style). It is recommended that you bring your own extension cord to accommodate your equipment comfortably.

Carnival Cruise Line carries distilled water which is available by contacting Room Service once onboard. The cost is $3.00 USD per gallon."

Normally I bring my own extension cord. I did forget it once and mentioned it to my room steward and one magically appeared in my cabin, the only issue it was a heavy duty 75' cord, so it took up a bunch of space! I haven't forgotten to bring one since. I did get a bottle of water from room service, but the "tap" water on the ship should be perfectly fine as it is RO purified on board from sea water.

5-7 day cruises I use tap water out of the bath sink.

Same here. Then again, I use tap water out of the sink every single night. I mean, I drink the stuff, cook with it, bathe in it. When, every two or so years, I get a little calcium buildup, a quick vinegar bath takes care of that immediately.

Bring a 12-15 foot extension cord. You will not have an outlet near your bed. Pack the extension cord WITH the CPAP machine, and carry the CPAP (not checked with luggage).

Carnival sees CPAPS everyday, and they know what it is. Extensions cords are allowed if they are in "like new" condition.

You can still bring on distilled water, from the current policy for carry-on drinks/liquids:

Distilled Water

Guests may bring on board distilled water for use with a CPAP machine or nursery water for families with babies and packed in carry-on luggage. Distilled water may also be purchased onboard at $3.00 USD per gallon by contacting Room Service. The CPAPmachine must be packed in carry-on luggage.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/category/~/dining-and-beverages/~/liquor-and-beverage-policy/c/472

• 1 month later...

Hello

My father will cruise with a CPAP machine. We will be in a interior port hole cabin. Because e will fly to this cruise and we will spend 15 days away of home we are trying to pack light. Can we make a reservation for an extension cord? If not, what is the minimun size (for one interior Port hole cabin)?

Thank you!;)

You need a 12-15 foot extension cord. They pack small, so I highly recommend you take your own. Carnival does have extension cords, but they are pretty much "when available". I wouldn't place a high degree of confidence in being able to count on them, although contacting the "special needs" desk at Carnival may provide some assurance. I can't speak for other cruise lines

Carnival does provide distilled water for a small, nominal fee.. so if your CPAP requires water, don't try to carry that on yourself. I can't say whether other cruise lines offer that

My husband uses a CPAP machine and I have contacted the Special Needs department before our cruises and each time they have been excellent at providing what is needed. A few times we have taken our own extension cord but it is true that you need a long one as the plugs are all across the room and not near the beds. I make sure my husband takes the side of the bed farthest from the bathroom because that way the extension cord is not anywhere near where I may need to walk in the night to get to the bathroom. Actually I think one time we placed the covere they put on the bed when you arrive for you to place your luggage on over the cord on the floor so neither of us would trip over it in the night.

I have taken my CPAP on all my cruises, I always have an extension cord in my CPAP case, and I use the water out of the tap, I don't use the distilled. GS always calls the cabin, asks me if I need anything, like an extension cord or distilled water, but I have never had to use thiers.

oh... one more thing... I see you are from outside the United States, so take into account any differences in plug types and voltage differences...

You need a 12-15 foot extension cord. They pack small, so I highly recommend you take your own. Carnival does have extension cords, but they are pretty much "when available". I wouldn't place a high degree of confidence in being able to count on them, although contacting the "special needs" desk at Carnival may provide some assurance. I can't speak for other cruise lines

Carnival does provide distilled water for a small, nominal fee.. so if your CPAP requires water, don't try to carry that on yourself. I can't say whether other cruise lines offer that

Thank You for your answer. We will cruise in other Cruise Line that will provide us water and the extension cord (we only had to ask it by e-mail) but we will carry one, just in case, for the carnival cruise. I'm used to travel around the world so I have the plug adaptor.I'll check the voltage ;)

I carry a 9' flat three prong extension cord in my CPAP bag all the time. It's small, fits in the section where the hose goes and I haven't needed to ask for a cord from any cruise ship or hotel in the past two years.

I've also had a gallon of distilled water delivered to my room within 2-3 hours of asking for several cruises. The ships water isn't bad, but remember, you can't see the scale build up inside the machine. You can soak the water tank in white vinegar when you get home, but the residue inside will remain.

Even after loosing a bunch of weight the CPAP machine makes a huge difference in my quality of life!

We hit one cruise where they ran out of extension cords....they ran around the ship and found one that looked like it had seen better days lol...so we just bought a 25 footer and bring it every single time now. We just bring a purified water with us. It's only a week we use distilled at home. Been doing that for years and it's been ok.