Microwave Oven Access

2 Rookie Cruisers

1 hour ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

No.  Royal Caribbean only has kettles available on cruises originating in England, and perhaps Australia.   Also, has coffee makers available in junior suites and up - not standard cabins.  You cannot take your own on board.  

I rather imagine that poster has already completed his/her cruise, since it was asked almost 2 years ago.

24 minutes ago, new_cruiser said:

No - we had a stop in Malaysia. There are other itineraries such as Singapore to Thailand. 

By the way, most of the stops other than Penang, Malaysia were uninhabited islands that were part of marine national parks so no medical care on them - just an island with a beach and sometimes a ranger. So while the passages may have been less than 12 hours, the only medical care at all but one of the stops was what was on the ship. 

https://www.starclippers.com/us-dom/search.html?view=itenary&crid=SC091119&ship=Star Clipper

If there was a severe medical emergency, perhaps the ship could have diverted to somewhere on Phuket or a fast boat (maybe whatever serves as a Coast Guard there) could have picked up the passenger.  

Even when there is a doctor on a small ship, medical facilities on board are limited. For example, on a Windstar cruise I was on, another passenger hurt her ankle the day we were at a small island for our beach BBQ day. The next "port" (wet landing via zodiacs on a beach of a small town so not really any port facilities) we visited, the small town didn't have any X-ray machines ns so she stayed on board. (Actually, I happened to chat with a local to ask directions. She mentioned she was a doctor and i asked about X-rays. She said that if they need one, they sometimes use the one at a dentist or at a vet so there are X-ray machines, just not human general medical ones.) The next port had an X-ray machine. Turned out to be a displaced fracture and she needed surgery to set it. 

That's life if you prefer to get off the beaten track. Sometimes you are far from modern facilities.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2019 at 2:49 PM, amberngriff said:

8 11 19

Do NOT reply on the medical offices!!  

I have diabetes.  My first cruise, I accidentally forgot half my supplies. 

On board, they only had one size syringe and I take microunits so I was sick almost the entire trip. It WAS MY FAULT. However, I found out only an RN was aboard, no MD. Just one RN for thousands of passengers.

I too have GI issues and use a heating pad a lot. I am bringing it for our upcoming cruise.

I suggest you bring, esp,if it's your 1st cruise, or if you've got kids, to plan ahead (Bursar's desk is ALWAYS FILLED w/passengers being sea sick)

My bag has:

pepto                  cough drops                                        Benadryl             Motrin

ASA                     Tums                                                    Insect Repel       Bandaids

Dramamine        Nexium (b/c it works in 10 min!)     Immodium         Neosporin

and, enough diabetic supplies for a MONTH (cruise is 7 days)

Which cruise line was unable to help you  w ith your diabetes  treatment needs?   

• 2 months later...

Inexcusable, IMO,  such a common condition and so many needing proper  meds in proper dose for    diabetes management.  .  Did the nurse not offer to set you up with a doctor/pharmacy at one of your ports where you could get  what you needed?   to leave you  feeling ill and doing nothing to  help you is awful  IMO    Dentist /doctor appointments are   commonly arranged  (in ports)   for guests

Edited by sail7seas

On 8/11/2019 at 11:49 AM, amberngriff said:

8 11 19

Do NOT reply on the medical offices!!  

I have diabetes.  My first cruise, I accidentally forgot half my supplies. 

On board, they only had one size syringe and I take microunits so I was sick almost the entire trip. It WAS MY FAULT. However, I found out only an RN was aboard, no MD. Just one RN for thousands of passengers.

I too have GI issues and use a heating pad a lot. I am bringing it for our upcoming cruise.

I suggest you bring, esp,if it's your 1st cruise, or if you've got kids, to plan ahead (Bursar's desk is ALWAYS FILLED w/passengers being sea sick)

My bag has:

pepto                  cough drops                                        Benadryl             Motrin

ASA                     Tums                                                    Insect Repel       Bandaids

Dramamine        Nexium (b/c it works in 10 min!)     Immodium         Neosporin

and, enough diabetic supplies for a MONTH (cruise is 7 days)

So you plan to ignore the rules on heating pads that are designed to reduce the possibility of a fire on board.  

DON

On 12/21/2017 at 11:55 AM, Capt_BJ said:

concur - the chemical packs work great ... Thermacare is the brand name one you'll see

but the CVS ones are just as good and cost less. Take em out of the box (each is sealed in a bag) and they take up very little packing space OR if arriving day b4 and drug store or large grocery will have

https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-heatwraps-back-hip-prodid-1012091?skuId=259349

I agree--Thermacare and it's generic's work wonders.

FYI--They are completely legal to transport on an airplane.  They are the same as the air activated hand warmers.

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2014/02/11/tsa-travel-tips-tuesday-hand-warmers