Significant price drop AFTER we made full payment. Any recourse?

melk

We are planning to board Eclipse early in 2018. We made full payment by the required time earlier this month. Now Celebrity is advertising this cruise ON THEIR WEBSITE for a combined $900.00 less than my wife and I paid. We are really looking forward to our trip, but this has given us a bad taste. We don't want financial compensation necessarily but maybe some Celebrity perk(s) would be nice. Any suggestions?:')

We have an inside room. Celebrity "upgraded" us to a"higher" inside room which is of virtually no benefit to us since we spend so little time in the room.

Celebrity...why not turn negative energy into positive energy especially when the cost to you is pennies on the dollar?

We are planning to board Eclipse early in 2018. We made full payment by the required time earlier this month. Now Celebrity is advertising this cruise ON THEIR WEBSITE for a combined $900.00 less than my wife and I paid. We are really looking forward to our trip, but this has given us a bad taste. We don't want financial compensation necessarily but maybe some Celebrity perk(s) would be nice. Any suggestions?:')

I Am sure your airfare, if any, has gone up and down since you paid, have you called them for a reduction or move up to FC cabin????

Had you not noticed that cruise fares changed between the time you first booked to final payment? Yes, you did and received an upgrade.

Do not feel bad or put out by it all, many times posters ask the same questions or quite similar. A quick search will turn up a few answers for you to consider....

If this leaves a bad taste in your mouth, I recommend that you may want to consider a different form of vacation going forward.

bon voyage

Booking early and booking late both have advantages. Book early and you get a better cabin selection, and more time to search for good flight arrangements if you need to fly to your cruise. Book late and you sometimes get last minute price cuts, but cabin selection and airfare options may be limited. Decide which is more important to you and plan (and book) accordingly next time.

I always book early and out of 16 total cruises (10 with X) we have only had two where the price went down after final payment. In one case, the difference was just enough for us to call and upgrade at no cost to a AQ. In the other, the difference was rather small.

On several, we have seen the prices go up over $1000 per person. We don't cruise in the Caribbean and the ones that went up, all sold out months before final payment, like Around the Horn, Japan and China and The Black Sea and E. Med. We did have a cruise out of Australia where prices dropped three times, but I called and we got the new low price (all before final payment).

The price of our February cruise dropped a little. The price of airfare is way up since we booked. Our chosen hotel prices rose and it is now sold out, we booked when it was available. Cruise fare is only one of the items we need to pay for when we cruise and we usually have a net gain in savings by booking early.

I think you can go a little crazy trying to juggle air, hotel and cruise fares after the fact. We're only going into our 6th cruise but have never really been bothered by fare remorse.

We are planning on booking a 2019 Southern Carib while on board Silhouette in March, 2018, though. I think it could be fun working out Flights by X, City Stay (maybe - they seem a bit pricey) and cruise. My wife doesn't think it'll be so much fun so she'll probably go shopping.

Then there's the whole thing about transferring to a TA and getting some extra OBC. I'm kind of vague on that part so it'll be a learning experience. :D

If the price had gone up several hundred dollars would you be calling them to offer to pay more? I just truly don't understand why people think of this with a one-way view. Your only 'recourse' would be to see if you can pay for an upgrade to a higher level cabin. You may be able to bump up to an oceanview for the difference in price, although you can only do that if the difference is at least a dollar higher than what you paid. It's worth looking into.

We have an inside room. Celebrity "upgraded" us to a"higher" inside room which is of virtually no benefit to us since we spend so little time in the room.

Celebrity...why not turn negative energy into positive energy especially when the cost to you is pennies on the dollar?

Please look into upgrading to a balcony or above cabin. You may find that you will enjoy spending more time in your cabin with the added space on the balcony and the added light. And you may be eligible for a "free" perk, as well as receiving extra Captain's Club points.

The only downside to upgrading to a different class of cabin is that you may find you like it too much and won't be as happy in an inside cabin in the future.

When my parents were alive, and we cruised as their guests we always were in an inside cabin. When we began to cruise as a couple, DH said "we don't need a balcony, we never spend time in the cabin", he sounded so much like my father that I thought that my late father had come back to life! As a compromise I booked inexpensive balcony cabins until last year when the price of our January 2017 cruise dropped so significantly after final payment that we decided to upgrade to Aqua Class. This year we are paying significantly more for Aqua, but we loved eating in Blu, made good use of the Persian Gardens, and were happy to have the small plate of appetizers each evening.

When you booked you were happy with the rate and with your cabin. Now the law of supply and demand comes into play and they announce "the best guaranteed rate"

For my next cruise aboard the Eclipse, 14 Nights Caribbean. The rate started to fall in June from $ 100 to $ 200 each month. At the beginning of November I said it's time to call and request an upgrade from Interior to Veranda.

Coincidentally, in December, rates started to rise.

These upgrades are more complicated when you have a B2B in the same cabin. So if for my B2B Cruises In the Silhouette (Caribbean) and Eclipse (Hawaii) I see a significant reduction I will request credit on board for the difference. I already have a veranda cabin. And with this credit to buy excursions, drinks, internet, etc.

Where is the cruise going?

We were upgraded at no cost after final payment from an OV to a AQU1 and even allowed to pick our cabin. However, it was a cruise from San Juan after the hurricane and under the circumstances Celebrity was allowing people who wished the ability to reschedule (move deposits) without penalty.

It wasn’t the typical situation but many benefited.

You essentially are asking for a refund (in the form of OBC). You have a better chance of getting an upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The price of my January cruise went down 600 per cabin and we booked three rooms! I know how you feel, I try not to think about it but it does make me wish I booked last minute.;)

There is never any assurance that the price will decrease after final payment. It can just as likely remain the same or increase. Waiting until after final payment also has potential restrictions on category and location availablity that can leave you in a worse situation. And as mentioned by others, would you expect to accept an increase and pay more if the price did in fact go up?

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Many thanks for all of your replies.

Bad taste leaving...being replaced with martinis.

Melk

Best approach.

Just to clarify. You can check the same website for an OV, balcony, or some higher level cabin, then compare that price to what you paid for your inside cabin. If it is less or just a few dollars more you should be able to get a better room.

Enjoy your cruise.

Ouch ...that's got to hurt. My DH always tells me I should stop looking at prices once the final payment has been made. I can't help myself, though. Sometimes, it works out, like in your case, to be upgraded to a better cabin, though. I, like you, oftentimes book an inside cabin or maybe oceanview and then upgrade to a balcony or mini-suite if I see the prices drop dramatically. Well, that worked out in the cruiseline's favor as my DH now almost always insists on at least a balcony cabin. So, even though we thought we didn't spend much time in the cabin, with a balcony cabin, we really do.

My plan now is to usually book the least desirable cabin that we are willing to stay in and upgrade if the prices drop. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, though. I love to plan way out ahead of time but am now more of a jump on the last minute deals. I sailed a few times on Celebrity in 2017, two of which turned out to be unbelievable deals .... one booked as soon as the itinerary was released and one that I booked last minute. It's a game!

It doesn't hurt to try for an upgrade. After final payment for a cruise on the Silhouette this past November I noticed a price decrease so I had my TA ask Celebrity if they would be willing to give us anything and I realize they didn't have to but we got a free upgrade from our 1A balcony to a CC1. Best thing it was an aft facing cabin and I really like those.