Royal Palms Beach Cabana or Calico Jacks?

Banana15

I am torn between what we should do.

I read Royal Palms has private beach cabanas, which I think would be perfect so we aren't baking in the sun. However, I also read that the beach is smaller and it "feels" more crowded.

I've tried to find information on Calico Jacks, as far as something similar to a private cabana, but haven't found anything. Does anyone know if CJ offers something similar?

If given the choice, which would be the better option?

Royal Palms is closer to the port than Calico Jacks, and umbrellas/loungers cost roughly the same at any of the locations. There really isn't a cost differential between the two locations, as the entry fee at Royal Palms is offset by the cheaper taxi ride. (Entry fee is $2pp but the taxi is only $4pp rather than $6.)

Calico Jacks is right next to Public Beach, which has free picnic shelters if you get there early enough to score one. Or, get an umbrella and loungers at either location if your group is small. However, you want a guaranteed cabana, especially for a larger group, spend the extra and reserve one at Royal Palms.

Personally, I tend to recommend deciding based on the makeup of the group. Calico Jacks/Public Beach has a playground and is IMO the better of the two spots for a family with children. Royal Palms is better for adults and groups with only a baby/toddler too young to notice the adults-only pool.

Royal Palms is closer to the port than Calico Jacks, and umbrellas/loungers cost roughly the same at any of the locations. There really isn't a cost differential between the two locations, as the entry fee at Royal Palms is offset by the cheaper taxi ride. (Entry fee is $2pp but the taxi is only $4pp rather than $6.)

Calico Jacks is right next to Public Beach, which has free picnic shelters if you get there early enough to score one. Or, get an umbrella and loungers at either location if your group is small. However, you want a guaranteed cabana, especially for a larger group, spend the extra and reserve one at Royal Palms.

Personally, I tend to recommend deciding based on the makeup of the group. Calico Jacks/Public Beach has a playground and is IMO the better of the two spots for a family with children. Royal Palms is better for adults and groups with only a baby/toddler too young to notice the adults-only pool.

This is actually the first trip my husband and I are taking without our son, so it will just be the two of us. I wanted to rent the cabana just so we’d have a guaranteed place to relax and be out of the sun. My only real concern is that I read it seems more crowded there than at CJ because the beach is smaller, so I don’t know if I’m going to regret not going to CJ if it is crowded.

Also, our ship is in port from 7 am to 4 pm, which means we have to leave the beach around 2 (right?) is that too little time to even bother with a cabana?

Read more reviews. :-) You'll find just as many that complain about the crowding at CJ as at RP. The crowding is a function of the number and size of cruise ships in port on a given day. Lots of ships will mean everywhere is crowded. Fewer ships, the crowds are less. In general, at least, there's no guaranteed way to tell where people will decide to head on a particular day, unfortunately.

Yes, RP is smaller than CJ, primarily because CJ's has Public Beach right next door to spread out the crowds. But, RP has an adults-only pool and the cabanas.

Royal Palms has webcams so you can see the beach, and I'm sure there are pics of CJ's out there if you google it. Maybe looking at the two areas will help you decide?

We were planning to go to Royal Palms but ended up at Calico Jacks. The umbrella did a good job keeping the sun off us, the loungers were comfortable and the restaurant served drinks and food. Yes there is more beach front at CJ. We had a great time and plenty of taxis available to take you back to the ship.

Can you get to Royal Palms by public bus and if so how much?

Can you get to Royal Palms by public bus and if so how much?

Yes, it's $2.50pp each way. Get off the bus just before the underpass/tunnel, and walk through the large parking lot towards the water. Taxi would be about $4pp each way. (The same bus would continue on towards Calico Jacks.)

Yes, it's $2.50pp each way. Get off the bus just before the underpass/tunnel, and walk through the large parking lot towards the water. Taxi would be about $4pp each way. (The same bus would continue on towards Calico Jacks.)

Silly question for some but have only been to GC once and it was many years ago. Where do we catch the bus and know it is the correct bus? Thanks so much!

Thank you - seems easy enough to do

Silly question for some but have only been to GC once and it was many years ago. Where do we catch the bus and know it is the correct bus? Thanks so much!

The bus depot is a couple blocks from the port, by the library.

Either the #1 or #2 bus will travel along SMB, and the dispatchers and drivers are all very helpful, just ask and they'll get you on the correct bus.

https://caymanresident.com/live/transport/public-transport-taxis-airport/public-buses/

• Thanks 1

Thanks to your posts on this topic, we're going to do this, bookbabe. Do we need to exchange money or will they take USD for the bus?

Thanks to your posts on this topic, we're going to do this, bookbabe. Do we need to exchange money or will they take USD for the bus?

US can be used most places, including the buses, but change will be in CI, so have small bills.

My husband and I will be in GC in April with our 8 year old daughter. She desperately wants to parasail. Is either one, RP or CJ a better bet for finding and operator?

I'd ask on the Facebook pages for the two locations. Both have watersports operators nearby, but I'm not sure what their offerings are.

My husband and I will be in GC in April with our 8 year old daughter. She desperately wants to parasail. Is either one, RP or CJ a better bet for finding and operator?

When I made my cabana reservation at RP, I was given this link to the watersports on the property. http://www.saltwatersportscayman.com/

It doesn't show any parasailing, but I doubt it's not available someplace close by.

Does anyone know if there is snorkeling at Royal Palms? It looks like a nice place, but DH is looking to snorkel in Grand Cayman...I'd rather spend the day at a resort. Who wins??? ;p

~Joanne

The terrain that generates nice sandy beach results in crappy snorkeling and vice versa.

Snorkel at Eden Rock by the port area for a bit, then hop a taxi to Seven Mile Beach for your relaxing.