Staterooms on Wind Surf (Review Compilation)

MNgardens

We just cruised for 25 days in Suite 306. The upgrade fairy visited us a few months after booking and we happily accepted! Suite 306 is on the port side. The very best part of the suite is the fact that we had 2 bathrooms! It definitely helped our marriage having our own bathroom for 25 days. It was also nice having plenty of closet and storage space and 2 desks/dressing tables. 

I loved how close we were to the stairs to go up one flight to the Yacht Club for breakfast. Also we would go up the “back stairs” to the pool deck. Those steps felt like a secret passageway and made things so easy. 

Now for the cons: when we were ina port and tendering it was very loud! The tenders were basically outside our living room portholes. No sleeping late in this room! They are very noisy going down and going back up.

Other than that, if you are lucky like us and have the upgrade fairy come visit you or if you decide to book a suite, the convenience of location can’t be beat!

• Like 1

On 9/7/2018 at 3:54 AM, Jenn said:

Funny, no comments on Wind Surf Deck 3, (TX, not suites). I'm looking at 301 or 302 aft, are they that bad? Anyone know how curved the walls are, and if that's a dead-end hallway? I would love to be able to climb outside without passing any cabins. Guessing we have to stroll down the hall to the inside stairs, yes? no? Good thread, thanks!

On 9/7/2018 at 3:54 AM, Jenn said:

Funny, no comments on Wind Surf Deck 3, (TX, not suites). I'm looking at 301 or 302 aft, are they that bad? Anyone know how curved the walls are, and if that's a dead-end hallway? I would love to be able to climb outside without passing any cabins. Guessing we have to stroll down the hall to the inside stairs, yes? no? Good thread, thanks!

We were in suite 306 and met the folks in 302. It is not a suite but it is the last/first room on the hall. There is a door right next door to 302/301 that opens up to another area where you can go down to the deck below. There is also a door to the outside that actually goes to a work space for the crew where the ropes are stored for going ashore. You can take the steps from this area directly to the pool deck. We felt like those steps were like a “secret passage way” and used them daily. Room 302 is just as noisy as suite 306 when the tenders are used. We were on a back2back2back and one couple we met moved out of 302 to a lower deck because of the noise of the tenders. 

10 hours ago, Ski Mom 2 said:

We just cruised for 25 days in Suite 306. The upgrade fairy visited us a few months after booking and we happily accepted! Suite 306 is on the port side. The very best part of the suite is the fact that we had 2 bathrooms! It definitely helped our marriage having our own bathroom for 25 days. It was also nice having plenty of closet and storage space and 2 desks/dressing tables. 

Wow that is amazing...both the suite upgrade and a 25 day cruise!

Edited by minidonuts85
format

• 1 month later...

We just had 20 days in 106 on Wind Surf, its under the tender boarding equipment of Deck2 so it can be noisy when they are lowering it etc, and you hear and see  people going up and down to the tenders somewhat but it didn't bother us at all.

The AC was kind of variable, it started off in Lisbon way cool, then after a week or so we had it turned all the way down and it was just cool enough, then we had a week of it not being cool at all and that wasn't good, it probably wasn't just our cabin.

Its an older ship so we can take some  discomfort from  time to time.

Most of the lights worked and the bed was comfortable enough.

When we were on there previously we noticed a lot of stale cigarette smoke smell around the forward elevator on Deck 1 and there was an air purifier there, well now its not there any more and there is no smell.

So that's good.

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2018 at 5:59 PM, minidonuts85 said:

Just got an email from WS. Complimentary upgrade from 108 (B) to 230 (AX) on our New Years Eve sailing. :classic_biggrin:

Didn't see 230 on the list above, but 228 was reported as quiet which is right next door.

We just wrapped up our cruise on the 29th in 230 on the Windsurf and the cabin was excellent. On a side note this was also the same upgrade you received.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2019 at 6:06 AM, mgirvin said:

We just wrapped up our cruise on the 29th in 230 on the Windsurf and the cabin was excellent. On a side note this was also the same upgrade you received.

We loved that cabin and thanks for leaving the big bag of cash under the bed!

We are experienced cruisers and love Seabourn and the WindStar motorized ships and Uniworld. we are contemplating our first trip on the Wind Surf. We were holding Suite 326.  We have never cruised without a balcony. Any feed back on that Suite. Should we keep it?

What we have found (and one of the things we love about Windstar) with the port intensive itineraries we just don’t spend that much time in our cabins. On port days (and there are usually very few sea days on WS) we get up, get dressed, have either coffee and a croissant from the Yacht Club or maybe a full breakfast and we are then off the ship exploring for the entire day. When we return we may have a cocktail by the pool and then it’s time to change for dinner and meet up with new friends for another cocktail and then dinner. After dinner we might listen to some music in the lounge and then it’s off to bed to be ready for the next day of more of the same. 

We have cruised with a balcony many years ago but those itineraries had more sea days which meant more time to hang out. We would much rather be exploring ports of call, meeting the locals, eating, drinking and shopping than hanging out on a balcony. There is plenty of space thought the sailing yachts to sit, relax and read a book if you’re looking for some outdoor space too.  

Edited by Ski Mom 2

Thank you all for your input.

Getting ready to book our annual girls cruise, we did Windsurf Jan 2018 and those who were in 221 said they were woken every morning with crew getting ready to disembark...it was very noise and reading reviews on this thread about cabins underneath this on one, both sides, leads me to believe we need to stay forward in the B catagory???

We were recently in 325 for 7 days.  First night there was intermittent banging all night.  At first I thought someone in an empty cabin next door had left a cupboard door open.  Then I realised it seemed to be something banging against the hull outside.  Too dark to see anything.  I spoke to reception next morning, they didn't know what it might be.  No further problems the rest of the week - then on the final night, there it was again.  Weird.  I wondered whether it might be a tender cable that had come loose.   It might be a one-off but just thought I'd mention it.  Would expect that 225 and 125 would be affected as well as those either side.

We were party of 4 in 141 and 122.  141 was fine aside from toilet that had issues with its vacuum system and had to call maintenance 3 times (one time at 3am!).  Each time they came quickly and resolved the issue but this was recurring problem.  Other than that all was in working order and cabin was quiet.  122 was fine but had same banging issue that Joolsverne noted above.  This seemed to be intermittent but was heard regularly noted above.

Misty Morning,  that’s interesting - was the noise heard every night or just the first and last nights?  I realise that one must expect a bit of noise onboard ship, but we have never had such a loud and persistent noise before.  After the first night I was going to follow it up with the Chief Engineer, but it seemed to settle down after that (until the last night) so I didn’t bother.    Other than that issue, it was great to be on Windsurf again!

I just booked 6 cabins onboard, last year we were the same 6 pairs (annual girls cruise!) and one had room 220.  They were awakened every single morning when the gangway was set up...they said it was very very noisy and so this year we all tried to stay away from that area.

Windsurf should probably do a disclaimer for those cabins...just not right to have all that clanging every day :classic_unsure:

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

We got a free upgrade to the Ax level but it was under the lounge stage and we could hear the band noise. We didn't mind as they they did not play really late and we hadn't paid extra for it but i would not book a cabin under the band stage...unless you like staying up late.

• 2 weeks later...

Were you in a Suite after the remodel?  We are in 341 on the Eastbound TA in April, and I am wondering if the band is on that side (Aft/Starboard)  of the lounge, or is it more forward.  I think that 346 and 348 are both available, but am wondering if those would be any better.  All of them are under the lounge, but 346 and 348 are under the Foreward/Port side of the lounge.  

Any thoughts? 

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I did a quick search but didn't see any feedback on Cabin 149....anyone stayed in cabin 149 on the Wind Surf.  I believe we stayed in 110 when we cruised on Wind Surf before and no issues at all.  Thank you.

Perhaps there should be a new thread started since conversion of some suites back to two cabins has changed things in deck 3. Or perhaps not because there seem to be Very few comments about deck 3 cabins. 

We are in 309 (about half way through 17 days now). It's fine, quiet enough during regular sailing. Some vibration and noise as we manuver into dock or anchor position, but I think that can be felt in most of the ship. 

I was in cabin 155 one afternoon. They were welding at the stern one day to add something needed for entering the Panama Canal which stunk up the stern part of the ship - not something likely to recur. They kindly gave me a key to 155 so I'd have someplace to take a nap away from the smell. 

Due to narrowing of the ship, there is less room for the bed in 155 - that's why there is no night stand on the window side. The space is very tight between the wall and side of the bed there so you have to turn sideways go along the bedside. Other than that, it's a normal cabin. I didn't detect any smells.

Edited by new_cruiser

• 4 weeks later...

Just got home from our Windsurf trip...we were in cabin 245, which we found to be perfect! Once you get the “lay of the land” on board you will find this cabin conveniently across from a central staircase to go up and down between all decks, and convenient for daily disembarking and the water sports deck on deck 2...our friends were in 222, and their only complaint was the morning noise from setting up the disembarking platform outside their window 

• Like 1