Staterooms on Wind Surf (Review Compilation)

MNgardens

We just changed our relocated San Juan booking on Star Pride to the 12/28 18-day Cruise on our beloved Wind Surf! So excited! We figured if we have to sail out of St Martin it may as well be on the sailing ship.

We booked suite #348 on Deck three. Any feedback on this cabin? I was a bit concerned that being under the lounge it may be noisy. Anyone have experience?

• 11 months later...

Just off Wind Surf and wanted to provide an update on 244: it is right next to one of the watertight doors, which is closed while entering or exiting port. When the doors are being closed, multiple bells go off. So for our Caribbean sailing, this meant a chorus of bells at 6am most days. Also a detour to the room (with no elevator access) while the doors are closed. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thank you!  We just booked 2 cabins for the Christmas Cruise which coincides with our granddaughter's 21st birthday and her school winter break.  We are in 337 where we have been before, but we knew nothing about deck1.

Your excellent analysis helped us choose 134 for her.  She has her own little 12 ft sailboat and is very excited about this ship.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/3/2020 at 6:57 PM, Hellojw said:

Hi there,

I did a quick search but didn't see any feedback on Cabin 149....anyone stayed in cabin 149 on the Wind Surf.  I believe we stayed in 110 when we cruised on Wind Surf before and no issues at all.  Thank you.

Did you end up staying in 149 on Wind Surf? If so, can you describe it? Noisy, smelly, can you see anything out the port hole, etc? Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is dormant, but just wanted to see if anyone had any info/feedback/suggestions for where to look for more data.

Spouse and I, and my sister & her daughter are booked on the Ocean Crossing from Lisbon to St. Maarten this coming November.  We're booked in rooms 151 and 149. Feedback suggests 149 must be fine and 151 might catch cigarette smoke. Wondering if there's any new info on that.

My BIGGER question is, tho -- is there any chart or rubric to figure out which direction the beds are facing? My spouse prefers the cozy against-the-wall side of the bed, and I prefer the opposite, the side towards the rest of the cabin.  As our cabins are on the starboard side, this means we'd prefer the head of the bed to be forward, our feet aftward.

Any way to figure out if we lucked out?

I know of no such resource, unfortunately. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist somewhere, but I do pretty extensive planning too, and I've never run across this info anywhere. Here's hoping you lucked out!

• Like 1

OK, I did some detective work. We were in cabin 123 on our first Windsurf cruise. 123 is on the starboard side. I'm quite certain the head of our bed was toward forward, feet to aft. IF your block of seven cabins is set up like our block of seven was, then cabin number 151 should be set up the same. That's a big "IF," I know.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 3:37 PM, avalong said:

OK, I did some detective work. We were in cabin 123 on our first Windsurf cruise. 123 is on the starboard side. I'm quite certain the head of our bed was toward forward, feet to aft. IF your block of seven cabins is set up like our block of seven was, then cabin number 151 should be set up the same. That's a big "IF," I know.

Better than nothing! Thanks for the effort and response. 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/9/2020 at 11:25 AM, ahottoddie said:

Just got home from our Windsurf trip...we were in cabin 245, which we found to be perfect! Once you get the “lay of the land” on board you will find this cabin conveniently across from a central staircase to go up and down between all decks, and convenient for daily disembarking and the water sports deck on deck 2...our friends were in 222, and their only complaint was the morning noise from setting up the disembarking platform outside their window 

Great news, thank you, ahottoddie!  We were originally booked in 151, but got upgraded to 245 so I came to this thread to see if there was any info on that. Your info makes me even more excited. 

Our traveling companions are in 243, so I assume they're in just about the same boat (pun not intended, but not avoided). 🙂

• 2 months later...

I'm a little confused.  Where is the elevator (or elevators) on this thing?  The deckplan on the Windstar webpage identifies "stairs/elevator" which isn't particularly helpful if you vastly prefer one over the other.  

(Dude on the phone said they were both elevators.  But the comments someone posted about the watertight doors near 244 blocking off elevator access had me questioning this.)

The elevators on the Surf are stern/aft and the other elevator is more midship/bow. There are stairs as well. When coming into port there are two sets of water tight doors that close when you come into and out of port, on levels one and two,  generally the time is for 15 minutes each. This is for the first and second levels only. That means if your cabins are on these 2 floors and are more mid ship, you have to  go to the 3rd up/down or down/up a set of stairs to get to or leave your cabin but during those into and out of ports times you can not use the elevators to get to your mid ship cabins.  There are many stairwells between the two elevators. It is very easy and quick. Takes one time miss to remember the next, not so bad. Happy Sailing

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We have been in that room , simply fine, not have to worry about the elevator you can always easily get to your room. If you go to the deck plans 147, draw an imaginary line up 147 is very close to the middle of the ship if you are worried about sea movement. Have a great cruise. Happy Sailing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last summer we were in a suite, I think room 339. I had been concerned that we would have noise from the lounge but but we never heard anything. I was traveling with my sister and the two bathrooms were handy to have. We found the cabin to be very conveniently located. We were near a stairwell which made it easy to pop up a level for a coffee. I would book in this area of the ship again.

Just returned from a week on Surf in room 309 (upgraded from 109).  room fine but tender operations in the morning start at 7AM and last 5-7 minutes.  Also the engine vibration when reversing to drop anchor was extremely loud at the back of the ship every morning for 30 minutes (it was loud in 309, can't imagine what it would have been in 109).  We always had rooms forward or center in the past so never had this issue.  Will try to stay away from stern rooms in the future 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, SunnyNy said:

I am taking my first Wind Surf cruise in October and was just upgraded from cabin 147 to cabin 221. Should I accept the offer or stay put?

I would stay put. We were in 149. The second deck seemed to be busier day to day. 221 is also in the watertight zone, which limits your mobility when arriving and departing ports. 

We just stayed in 236 and it was fine.  Much further aft of there is where the tenders leave/arrive.  Cabins on either side of us (234 and 238) had refreshening treatments while we crossed the Atlantic, but only during the day so it never bothered us.  Yes, if the water tight doors are closed you must ascend via stairs, but only one flight - on deck 3 you can access the elevators.  We like deck 2 as it is above the "splash line" and midship is more stable during any rolling.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if this is already posted. Regarding Windsurf, can someone give us comments on which suite staterooms on deck three are best. Any recommendations regarding the suites are appreciated. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/24/2023 at 7:55 AM, tper said:

Sorry if this is already posted. Regarding Windsurf, can someone give us comments on which suite staterooms on deck three are best. Any recommendations regarding the suites are appreciated. 

We were in Suite 330 in May — no complaints at all about the location. We’ve booked that same location for our next cruise