Egypt: Top Rated! Tips, Secrets for Luxor?

TLCOhio

On 11/17/2019 at 11:22 AM, helmslady said:

Thank you so much for all of your wonderful information and beautiful photos which we have valued for our upcoming Oceania cruise in May 2020.  We are starting to make our touring plans and, after reading TripAdvisor and CC reviews such as yours,  Thank you again TLCOhio we really enjoy all you post and blog.

Appreciate these above comments and follow-ups.  Keep doing your research and advance planning.   From the London/UK Times Travel Section a week ago, they had this headline: “Tutankhamun’s treasures: a sneak preview of Cairo’s $1bn Grand Egyptian Museum” with these highlights: “Experts predict that the £940m museum — a replacement for the current 117-year-old Egyptian Museum on Tahrir Square — will be a game-changer for Egyptology when it opens in October next year. It will be, it’s said, the largest archaeological museum in the world, its 120-acre site containing not only the museum, but 28 shops, 10 restaurants, outdoor landscaping and a hotel as well.  The museum will hold a third more artefacts than its predecessor: about 100,000 objects, including 20,000 finds that have never been seen before, 560 of those from Tutankhamun’s tomb.  The move has given experts the opportunity to examine Egypt’s panoply of treasures using modern scientific techniques.

Sounds like a great museum and world-class attraction!!  It will be in congested Cairo and it is not as handy to Luxor.  But, it adds to the "pull" for us considering going back to the Middle East and these historic areas.

Full story at:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tutankhamun-treasures-grand-egyptian-museum-cairo-225xzwdwn

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 238,027 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

For this holiday period, we have been traveling out west to my wife's family in Kansas.  We spent some time earlier in the week at Kansas City's Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art,  They now have a special exhibition titled "Queen Nefertari: Eternal Egypt".   Great, interesting history and background to tie-in with our touring a year ago at Luxor, visiting the Valley of the Kings, etc.

About her, here is how they summarized: "She was known as The One for Whom the Sun Shines. Discover the celebrated Queen Nefertari, the Great Royal Wife of Pharaoh Ramesses II. Experience the magnificence of royal palaces and tombs, including Nefertari’s burial chamber, considered one of the greatest artistic achievements in the Valley of the Queens. Explore the daily life of the village where tomb builders and artisans lived, worked and worshipped more than 3,000 years ago.  Drawn from the world-renowned Museo Egizio in Turin, Italy, the exhibition will bring together works that present the richness of life in ancient Egypt, focusing on the role of women—goddesses, queens, and commoners."

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 227,192 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

From this Kansas City's Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, below are some samples from a special exhibition titled "Queen Nefertari: Eternal Egypt". These 3000+ year old history/items brought back excellent memories from a year ago when we were in Luxor, touring the Valley of the Kings, etc.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

CMB_7639.thumb.jpeg.7e12207317912966a52a5da57330cffa.jpeg

CMB_7625.thumb.jpeg.1aaa98db22ae75c6868e15d2c90d7643.jpeg

CMB_7634.thumb.jpeg.9416b56e1128da1bd75fccbed95db856.jpeg

CMB_7636.thumb.jpeg.9211a53bde5fad116363e4d4e30c13e4.jpeg

CMB_7641.thumb.jpeg.2f3d103867023da690dbdbbbf3d50242.jpeg

Edited by TLCOhio
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Telegraph today, they had this headline: “The 20 destinations you must visit in 2020” as their experts reveal the must-see places to put on your travel radar with these highlights for Egypt as a top potential with this summary "There’s nothing like the pizzazz of the Valley of the Kings" from writer Harriet O’Brien.  

Here are some details cited: The Tutankhamun exhibition, running until May at London’s Saatchi Gallery, offers a fix of wonder. Yet its exquisite statuettes and jewellery are mere tasters of the treasures and sights to be seen in Egypt. There’s nothing quite like the pizzazz of the tombs in the Valley of the Kings, or the majesty of the Great Sphinx of Giza. And then there’s all the natural glory, from dreamy views on a Nile cruise to vibrant coral in the Red Sea.  A star-studded remake of Death on the Nile (with director Kenneth Branagh playing Poirot) will encapsulate the glam nostalgia of the country’s river cruises when it is released in October. The world’s largest archaeological museum, the Grand Egyptian Museum on the Giza Plateau, will open in autumn, housing some 100,000 objects, from Tutankhamun’s gold-plated coffin to a gigantic statue of Ramesses II dominating the atrium.   Direct flights from the UK to Sharm el-Sheikh have resumed after four years: the Red Sea resort is accessible from Gatwick and Birmingham, with services from other airports on the way.

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/lists/20-destinations-for-2020/

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 238,273

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 4 months later...

We just booked a Safaga/Luxor with Ramses Tours for March 2021.  We certainly have had prompt responses from Haitham MasoudEvery email query (and I sent several) was answered within 24 hours. 

We are confirmed for the two day tour and are really looking forward to our time in Egypt with Ramses Tours.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 10:07 AM, SeaGal said:

We just booked a Safaga/Luxor with Ramses Tours for March 2021.  We certainly have had prompt responses from Haitham MasoudEvery email query (and I sent several) was answered within 24 hours. We are confirmed for the two day tour and are really looking forward to our time in Egypt with Ramses Tours.

Good luck with your March 2021 planning and trip.  Given the current virus situation, much is unclear as to when and how things will open back up for such air and world travel.  Be sure to check and consider doing the special evening light and sound program at Karnak.  We super loved that experience as detailed on the previous page of this thread.  Don't be shy with any and ALL questions. 

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 18,243 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

• 2 months later...

We are currently arranging a small group tour to Luxor with Ramses Tours  in November 2021.  Haitham Masoud is helpful and quick to reply to my emails.  We only have one day so want to make the most of it.  The information on this thread is amazing.  Now we must decide whether we want to visit King Tut's tomb, or spend the time elsewhere.  My husband and I were in Luxor in 1989, 30 years ago and we saw King Tut's tomb then.  We have also seen King Tut's exhibition in Chicago and Tampa.  So we wonder what else there is to see.  Is there something new and recently discovered?  Appreciate all thoughts of what to do and what not to do.  Thanks!

• 1 year later...
On 7/30/2020 at 7:07 AM, sansterre said:

The information on this thread is amazing.  Now we must decide whether we want to visit King Tut's tomb, or spend the time elsewhere.  My husband and I were in Luxor in 1989, 30 years ago and we saw King Tut's tomb then.  We have also seen King Tut's exhibition in Chicago and Tampa.  So we wonder what else there is to see.  Is there something new and recently discovered?  Appreciate all thoughts of what to do and what not to do.  Thanks!

For us during our visit to the Valley of the Kings, we did three of nine open tombs.  Did not do the young King Tut's tomb as it is somewhat short and more limited due to his short life.  When you become King there, they started digging your tomb.  If you lived longer, you had a larger and longer tomb.   

From the London/UK Sunday Times earlier this month, they had this headline: Egypt’s comeback: a captivating cruise along the Nile" with this sub-headline: "With the release of a major Hollywood film and the centenary of Tutankhamun’s tomb, the country is gearing up for a celebratory 2022.”

Here are some of their story  highlights: “It’s easy to summon the ghost of Agatha Christie at the Old Cataract Hotel in Aswan — particularly on the softly lit patio as another day fizzles out in a riot of colours over the Nile and the usual suspects assemble for cocktails. This is Hercule Poirot territory. It was here — at one of Egypt’s grandest, most decadent hotels — that Christie wrote her much-loved Death on the Nile featuring the Belgian detective, and it is here that the story begins.  In February UK audiences will be treated to Kenneth Branagh’s Hollywood adaptation of that sweeping tale of death, blackmail and skulduggery, with an all-star cast including Sophie Okonedo, Annette Bening and Gal Gadot, plus Branagh as Poirot.  The film is one of many notable events that will make 2022 a landmark year for Egypt and its tourism industry, also including: the opening of the long-awaited and spectacularly impressive Grand Egyptian Museum at Giza; the 200th anniversary of the deciphering of the Rosetta Stone, which allowed us to decode hieroglyphics; and the centenary of the discovery of King Tutankhamun’s tomb, one of the greatest archaeological finds of all time.

Here is more from this fun reporting that brings back great memories: "As with any Nile trip, the Valley of the Kings — dominated by the pyramid-shaped mountain peak of Al Qurn (the Horn) — is a highlight. Of the 64 royal tombs discovered here to date, nine are open to tourists, including that of Tutankhamun, the Boy King, whose macabre mummy is on display in his final resting place, teeth bared in seeming defiance behind a glass screen.  The good news for King Tut, exactly 100 years after the British archaeologist Howard Carter interrupted his eternal repose and carted off his mind-boggling treasure, is that there is talk about closing his tomb to the public — a case strengthened by the fact that there’s an exact replica of the burial chamber a few miles down the road, at Carter’s former home."

Full story at:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/egypts-comeback-a-captivating-cruise-along-the-nile-79lxvgqp8

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 234,631 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

• Like 1

In that Sunday Times profile, they also had this key item that I did not share earlier.  Interesting fact on the size of Karnak in Luxor.  Fascinating!!!

Here is that important added section from their reporting: "We meander through the sprawling temple complex of Karnak — an extraordinary open-air network of sandstone sanctuaries, statues and obelisks, representing the second- biggest religious site in the world after Angkor Wat — in the golden glow of sunset.  It is from here that the famed Avenue of the Sphinxes, recently reopened with much pomp and splendour after a 3,000-year hiatus, runs to the equally impressive Luxor Temple, more than a mile and a half away."

Fortunately, we saw Karnak BOTH during a day-time tour and then going back in the evening to enjoy with the famed light and music program.  Great experience in visiting there.  Not to be missed!!

This is how they concluded this story: "You don’t need to be Poirot to see that after a catastrophic 2020 (during which tourism revenues plummeted to £3 billion, from £10 billion the previous year) Egypt has invested huge amounts of cash and effort in what it hopes will be a big comeback in 2022. From the Avenue of the Sphinxes to the much-anticipated Grand Egyptian Museum in Giza, a blockbuster year awaits."

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 93,375 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I see the last post of this thread was from the end of 2021.  We are considering a trip with Viking to Egypt (river cruise) in early 2024.  Does anyone have any info since covid of how things are going there?  Is tourism coming back?  It sounds like the new museum would be a must do which I believe is an optional tour with Viking.  

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 1:08 PM, cruiselvr04 said:

I see the last post of this thread was from the end of 2021.  We are considering a trip with Viking to Egypt (river cruise) in early 2024.  Does anyone have any info since covid of how things are going there?  Is tourism coming back?  It sounds like the new museum would be a must do which I believe is an optional tour with Viking.  

We traveled with Amawaterways to Egypt last month.   We first traveled to Egypt in 2013 after the uprising and there were very few tourists..it was great for us.  Last month there were more tourists but not as many as there can be.  Very few people masked.  Seemed us tourists with Amawaterways were the only ones!  

We visited the museum in 2013 and hardly anyone there.  Fabulous as we could see Tut's treasures up close and for as long as we wanted..the visit this year had some of his treasures already moved to the new museum and his treasure room was crowded.

There are more river cruises sailing now than in 2013..which is a good sign of recovery.  

Egypt is very tourism dependent..their economy has been severely impacted during covid.  We found the locals very welcoming and happy to see people returning to their fabulous country!

Hope this helps..  oh, and don't wait too long to book if you are going to go.  Our cruise was sold out months before we went!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jack1 said:

There are more river cruises sailing now than in 2013..which is a good sign of recovery.  Egypt is very tourism dependent..their economy has been severely impacted during covid.  We found the locals very welcoming and happy to see people returning to their fabulous country!  Hope this helps..  oh, and don't wait too long to book if you are going to go.  Our cruise was sold out months before we went!

Agree that Egypt is both wonderful and coming back.  YES, tourism is a key part of their economy.  BUT, as a word of caution, there was recent Silversea World Cruise going up the Red Sea, etc.  However, sadly, the overnight stop to do an overnight stay in Luxor was scrubbed.  The cruise line was not specific as to the exact reasons.  There was speculation about security-related issues and questions.  Or, maybe, it was Covid-related?  We are glad to have accomplished our two days in and around amazing Luxor during our late 2018 adventure.  

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 20,768 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

• 1 month later...

I've just posted on the "Your favorite Luxor sites?" thread my suggestions for a private overnight excursion to Luxor. Perfectly safe and well run, I might add, as I've done this several times. Likewise for Cairo and Alexandria excursions. I can highly recommend my licensed guide.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2022 at 1:04 PM, seasoned said:

I've just posted on the "Your favorite Luxor sites?" thread my suggestions for a private overnight excursion to Luxor. Perfectly safe and well run, I might add, as I've done this several times. Likewise for Cairo and Alexandria excursions. I can highly recommend my licensed guide.

Appreciate these above comments and follow-ups.  Keep it coming!!

From the Wall Street Journal last week, they had this headline: Ancient Egypt Is New Again" with this sub-headline: "The mania for touring sites and treasures along the Nile is nearly as old as the pyramids of Giza. A recent wave of archaeological discoveries and museum openings has made the experience feel novel.

Here are some of their reporting highlights: “One sun-drenched day, circa 450 B.C., an enterprising author named Herodotus set forth by boat from the Nile River delta, upon whose southern fringe loom the pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx, not knowing he was about to spark an Egyptomania that would last 2,500 years.  Herodotus’ cruise took him to the New Kingdom capital of Thebes in Upper Egypt, modern-day Luxor, where he contemplated the temples of Karnak, one of which spanned 100 times the area of the Parthenon of Athens.  By the time Christie’s Death on the Nile was published in 1937, the world had already succumbed to an extreme bout of Egyptomania after the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb by the British archaeologist Howard Carter. Hollywood and New York high society in the 1920s became obsessed with pharaonic style, mimicking its architecture and fashions—scarab brooches, serpent belts and hieroglyphic bracelets. The year 2022 is a big one for Egyptologists. Carter’s discovery of King Tut’s tomb marks its centennial on November 4. It’s also the 200th anniversary of the decipherment of hieroglyphics, which the French scholar Jean-François Champollion achieved in 1822 by comparing the Rosetta Stone’s trilingual inscriptions.

Interesting background about Egypt, especially for its connections in and around Luxor.  

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ancient-egypt-new-again-tutankhamun-ramses-pyramid-tourism-11656505037?mod=hp_listc_pos3

Early 2020 (right before Covid shut-down), many visuals and details from New Zealand/South Pacific in going from Auckland to French Polynesia.  This includes Bora Bora, Fiji, NZ experiences, etc:  Live/blog;

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2735732-live-terryohio-“new”-regatta-south-pacificnz-pix’s/

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, patrinka said:

Fabulous photos and review. We are going in the fall of 2022 and are very excited.

Did you get foreign currency for Egypt or use $US? Not sure what to get and also for Jordan. Thanks. 

We had to use an ATM to get some Egyptian pounds. We needed them because we opted to see Tutekhamen’s & King SETI’s tombs. They were in addition to the three you can see with the entrance fee and had to be paid in local currency.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 2:08 AM, patrinka said:

Do you recall how much that was? I don't want to exchange too much and be stuck with it.

Seti is around $50 usd or 1000 Egyptian pounds,Tut is cheaper about $15…plus VOK entrance fee which includes 3 standard tombs.

Edited by aussie cruzer
T
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

The entrance fee to the Tutankhamun tomb was approximately 300 Egyptian pounds, equivalent to $12. In addition, purchasing a ticket to the Valley of the Kings grants you access to three tombs of your choosing. Overall, the experience is definitely worth the price for anyone interested in exploring ancient Egyptian history.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 8:36 AM, Grandma Cruising said:

For us it was also well worth paying the extra fee to enter SETI’s tomb. It’s expensive (1000 EGP - about $32/£25) but very well worth it - the decoration is amazing.

Appreciate these great comments, sharing and follow-ups by Grandma Cruising, ducruiser01, aussie cruizer and patrinka.  Keep it coming with good questions and info. 

From the London/UK Sunday Times this weekend, they had this headline: When will the Grand Egyptian Museum open?" with this sub-headline: "A new home for Egypt’s ancient treasures has been two decades in the making — and we’re still waiting for its official unveiling. Our Egypt expert Anthony Sattin, who got an early look, has the inside story.

Here are a few of their reporting highlights: “We should forgive Egypt for being a little boastful and brash. After all, you can be a bit shouty when you are home to the Great Pyramid of Giza, the only surviving wonder of the ancient world, as well as Karnak in Luxor — one of the greatest religious complexes — and some of the most sublime art created by man. And that’s not to mention several deserts, Mediterranean and Red Sea coastline and the last, beautiful stretch of the world’s longest river. The country also has what they are calling a 'new wonder in the making', the Grand Egyptian Museum, but they are being uncharacteristically shy about that.”

A specific date for this museum opening seems unclear.  Here is more from their story: "Staff at the museum are tight-lipped about opening plans, either because they do not know or have been sworn to secrecy. The museum’s website (visit-gem.com, not grandegyptianmuseum.org, which was acquired by a separate entity) says nothing about an estimated opening date. Several Egyptian ministers and well-connected commentators had floated the idea of the museum opening last November, to coincide with the centenary of the discovery of the tomb of Tutankhamun, but that date came and went. "

Full story at:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/when-will-the-grand-egyptian-museum-open-2jb9ppwk5

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 256,457 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1362155-solstice-livefirst-timer-reportspix’s-italycroatian-june-7-19/

• 1 month later...

From the Washington Post this morning, they had this headline: Nile is world’s longest river? Amazon would like a word. with these highlights about two of the world's greatest rivers: “Guinness World Records, Britannica and the U.S. government agree: The longest river in the world is the mighty Nile — the 'father of African rivers,' Britannica says.  But in Brazil, home to the powerful Amazon River, which cleaves South America more than slithers across it, the Nile’s standing is slightly lower.”

Here is more: "What appears at first to be a basic geographic query, a matter of cold science and hard numbers, has instead morphed into a cartographical dispute that has divided the scientific and exploration communities.  The Nile — or the Amazon?  According to the U.S. Geological Survey and Britannica, the difference between their lengths is just 132 miles — less than the drive from Washington to Philadelphia. They have the Nile’s 4,132 miles barely edging out the Amazon’s 4,000."

Clearly, the Amazon is much bigger in water volume.  But, as rivers' paths change and evolve over decades and centuries, these interesting debates are discussed in this detailed profile. It is fun to have traveled a thousands miles up and back on the Amazon, but having also sailed, briefly, on the Nile while in Luxor.   

Full story at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/06/12/amazon-nile-longest-river/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F3a56ade%2F648f26f9b83e300047e9f20f%2F596de289ade4e215b7d0544b%2F14%2F54%2F648f26f9b83e300047e9f20f

Late Summer 2022, many scenic visuals and details from Canada Maritimes doing Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island, etc., via a Tauck land tour.  Visual Summary:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

From the London/UK Daily Mail this morning, they had this headline: Seven reasons why your next holiday should be to Egypt - a fascinating 'time machine with these highlights: “Visiting Egypt is like having your very own time machine – one that can catapult you forward and backwards thousands of years in an instant.  There’s a reason why Luxor is often the second stop after Cairo in a tour of Egypt’s highlights, and that’s because learning about the riches of Ancient Egypt in a museum makes you yearn to see them in real life. The Valley of the Kings in Luxor is where the rulers of the 18th, 19th and 20th dynasties are buried, in a dry river valley across the Nile from the ancient city of Thebes (now Luxor), and more than 60 tombs lie underneath the rock, with others possibly yet to be discovered.

Here is more: "After spending time underground in the tombs of long-dead Pharaohs, it made a refreshing change to explore above ground – even if it was in 44-degree heat.  The Temple of Luxor and the Temple of Karnak are vast, open sites where you can walk along the very steps explored by the ancient Egyptians, under imposing columns and under the watchful eye of statues of kings, queens and the Sphinx."

Full story at:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-12266153/Im-travel-writer-seven-reasons-holiday-Egypt.html

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 247,814 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

• 4 months later...

From the Lonely Planet website, they have just released their top, must-see lists for 2024.  Ranked at the top for countries deserving attention based on value, they cited Egypt.  

With the headline: Best in Travel 2024, they had these highlights for Manaus: “With Luxor's enigmatic tombs, the timeless essence of the Nile and the mighty Pyramids of Giza, Egypt has a bounty of historical riches that don't cost a fortune to visit. Experience a priceless connection with another side of Egypt's heritage on the Sinai Trail and the Red Sea Mountain trail, two long-distance hiking routes founded by a collective of Bedouin tribes. And hopefully the long-anticipated Grand Egyptian Museum will finally open in 2024."

Full story at:

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/best-in-travel#egypt

For more background on Egypt, see: 

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/egypt

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 73,449 views:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2076101-live-amazon-river-caribbean-many-pix’s-terryohio/