What is a "typical" extra tip for a good cabin steward?

nanseev

I want to make sure I leave an additional tip for our cabin Steward. He was excellent. We had two cabins. One cabin was two adults, and the second was a cabin with kids. I want to make sure he knows we appreciated his great service, however, I don't have a ton of extra money. Whats typical? Or what do you leave? And yes we have autograt already...this will be additional.

Depends on how long the cruise was & what the cabin steward did ‘above & beyond’. BTW, I consider us to be pretty low maintenance.

One of our first cruises, 10 night cruise, I mentioned that I loved the towel animals (silly... I know) our room attendant made sure we had towel animals every night, sometime two. We also had breakfast in our cabin a few times, he made sure everything was cleaned up & not just piled up outside our cabin, within a few hours. We gave him $100. Normally I would leave $50 for a 10 to 12 night cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes go to GS and get your entire family fill out appreciation forms,these forms go back to the supervisor and are displayed in staff quarters,after achieving a certain amount they are given reward time off in ports. many staff members have never stepped foot on some of the ports the ship docks at weekly.

Money is just money and its hardly ever fully appreciated unless its desperately needed. Cruieline staff are not desperate for money they are just saving it so your extra cash tip will just be "bean counted" into a savings balance.

Yes go to GS and get your entire family fill out appreciation forms,these forms go back to the supervisor and are displayed in staff quarters,after achieving a certain amount they are given reward time off in ports. many staff members have never stepped foot on some of the ports the ship docks at weekly.

Money is just money and its hardly ever fully appreciated unless its desperately needed. Cruieline staff are not desperate for money they are just saving it so your extra cash tip will just be "bean counted" into a savings balance.

You need to stop posting in tipping threads.

• Like 3

We usually leave $30 and a mention by name in the cruise survey.

You need to stop posting in tipping threads.

Why so?

I feel it my right as an experienced cruiser and cc member to give my honest opinion on tipping as I have experienced it!

I believe many newer cruisers need educating on the entire cruise extra tipping fiasco that is always totally blown out of proportions on cc.

The op is asking for advise on how much extra cash tip to leave for the cabin steward, so now ask yourself why the op is asking?

Maybe they cant really afford to tip extra? maybe they dont want to feel cheap by not leaving enough? maybe they dont want to leave too much? If every post said $50 pp or $50 per cabin then many people may feel cheap for considering leaving only $10 or $20 or nothing per cabin!

The simple fact is if you feel an extra tip over grats is necessary then just go ahead and tip there is no set amount norm or rule so no amount is too small or too big because what you give is "your extra appreciation" "for your experience" not somebody else,s idea of a monetary appreciation for their experience!

Nobody need leave any extra tip as the tips have already been taken care of with the charged to account or pre paid gratuities. a hand shake and genuine thankyou have no price tag attached.

I want to make sure I leave an additional tip for our cabin Steward. He was excellent. We had two cabins. One cabin was two adults, and the second was a cabin with kids. I want to make sure he knows we appreciated his great service, however, I don't have a ton of extra money. Whats typical? Or what do you leave? And yes we have autograt already...this will be additional.

So, by now you're probably regretting starting this thread, right? ;p

Tipping is individual. Tip what you think they deserve. You'll know by how you feel. Remember, you've already tipped industry standard. In the U.S., most waiters get 18-20% in a restaurant. That would be "industry standard." On a cruise, we usually tip extra. Generally we look at between $20-$40 extra on a 7 night cruise. There have been some cabin stewards that were barely average. They got the autotip. But 90% have been delightful, responsive, hard working. They get extra. You obviously like your cabin steward. He won't think you cheap if you leave him anything extra. He'll be grateful for the cash and your recognition. BUT, positive comments DO matter, so be sure to leave those in the survey. Tip what you feel they deserve, and what you're comfortable with.

Have you ever worked in a tipped position? I have, and my son and daughter currently do (poor college students). I can’t express how appreciative they are of good tips, and how down they get after a bad night. Both work their butt’s off (I know their employers who give them high praises). I always tip our stewards, and they have always been very appreciative.

Not "desperate for money"? Do you think they change your dirty bedsheets and clean toilets just to get a little gold star at the end of the cruise? Wow, you have no idea how much MONEY these people are paid and how much it costs them to communicate with their families and travel home after long stints?

They're not grade school children. They work, some harder than others. As someone else said, you should stay away from the tipping discussions.

• Like 1

If the steward is excellent we calculate the extra tip at $5 a day. Only about half of our stewards fall into the excellent category. The others got an extra $20 total or just the auto-grats.

We go with our gut.....not what others are doing. Do what feels right using your own metrics.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

We usually tip 30ish per room. We tipped more for our kids when they were young and more messy.

But I agree with the posters who said tipping is an individual thing and almost as dangerous as talking about politics and religion. [emoji57]

And I definitely agree they truly appreciate the money.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The best stewards I ever had were when Voyager went out of New Orleans. Two were assigned each GS cabin. They always seemed to be right there when I came back to my cabin and stopped what they were doing and opened the door for me. I tipped both of them twice during the cruise. On Anthem, I never saw my attendant but he did a good job still.