Ponce Puerto Rico

Marken

The La Guancha boardwalk is within walking distance, where you can find local food, drinks, burgers, coffee, souvenirs, etc.

That being said- if the port becomes more popular with cruise lines, the area around the port has a lot of buildings to house a lot of businesses. Ponce Playa has a lot of tourist potential if the commercial port never gets off the ground. Or even if it does get off the ground.

That being said- if the port becomes more popular with cruise lines, the area around the port has a lot of buildings to house a lot of businesses. Ponce Playa has a lot of tourist potential if the commercial port never gets off the ground. Or even if it does get off the ground.

Oh this is never going to happen. And to tell you the truth is quite unfortunate. I am all for tourism development, especially if an area has potential, like Ponce. But I see Ponce being a port for smaller ships and/or small, specialty, luxury ships. There is only so much you can do in Ponce. The two islets that are current attractions (Caja de Muertos and Isla Cardona) are both occupancy-controlled. La Guancha has to improve a lot to really be an out-of-towner attraction and the heart of the city is basically for history buffs. All these combined will never replace Old San Juan and, unlike Old San Juan, I don't think people are gonna book a cruise because it has a port stop in Ponce.

Would I like to see that change? Absolutely!!! The area has the potential to become sort of an Amber Cove-type of place. It has the acreage, facilities and infrastructure to become a great alternative to Old San Juan. Especially since the Caribbean is getting swamped with new ships and there's only so many times you can really get exited about sailing to the same places over and over again.

Oh this is never going to happen. And to tell you the truth is quite unfortunate. I am all for tourism development, especially if an area has potential, like Ponce. But I see Ponce being a port for smaller ships and/or small, specialty, luxury ships. There is only so much you can do in Ponce. The two islets that are current attractions (Caja de Muertos and Isla Cardona) are both occupancy-controlled. La Guancha has to improve a lot to really be an out-of-towner attraction and the heart of the city is basically for history buffs. All these combined will never replace Old San Juan and, unlike Old San Juan, I don't think people are gonna book a cruise because it has a port stop in Ponce.

Would I like to see that change? Absolutely!!! The area has the potential to become sort of an Amber Cove-type of place. It has the acreage, facilities and infrastructure to become a great alternative to Old San Juan. Especially since the Caribbean is getting swamped with new ships and there's only so many times you can really get exited about sailing to the same places over and over again.

So it's more likely that the container shipping port will be more active. In the many years I've seen those cranes in place, I've never once seen a ship there loading and unloading. (Have seen a cruise ship on one trip- blew my mind).

Ten years ago, there was more effort to draw people to central Ponce- but since it wasn't all that effective, the effort has fallen off. Now there's some more trickle effort...

Ponce is Ponce... ;)

Then we need visionary leaders in both government and private enterprise to make Ponce and the southern area more attractive to visitors. There's many things that may attract visitors that have seen Old San Juan a zillion times. Sure, Old San Juan has soooo many things to offer, but the south part has much potential to be tapped.

So it's more likely that the container shipping port will be more active. In the many years I've seen those cranes in place, I've never once seen a ship there loading and unloading. (Have seen a cruise ship on one trip- blew my mind).

Ten years ago, there was more effort to draw people to central Ponce- but since it wasn't all that effective, the effort has fallen off. Now there's some more trickle effort...

Ponce is Ponce... ;)

Curiously they were used to unload power companies' equipment after María, which the Mayor touted as a major milestone.

I know for a fact that the cranes were operational but not up to date in inspections and certifications before María. Who or how did them in order to be used has not been disclosed to the best of my knowledge.

Then we need visionary leaders in both government and private enterprise to make Ponce and the southern area more attractive to visitors. There's many things that may attract visitors that have seen Old San Juan a zillion times. Sure, Old San Juan has soooo many things to offer, but the south part has much potential to be tapped.

First, you need to identify what it is people need to see.

Which isn't a lot. My wife is from Ponce, and she'd much rather spend time walking around San Juan for the 1000th time than spend tourist time in Ponce.

It's cool to see tourists in Ponce when we are wondering around, but we really have to consider what they are going to see. Tibes, Hacienda Buena Visa, Castillo Serralles, Museo de Arte de Ponce, and a few other items come to mind quickly. The Ponce Plaza does not have the same appeal as San Juan- and it does not go out as far, too. There are some other nice museums, but one should note that they are largely in Spanish- so it's tough on the typical tourist.

I do realize that there's a big potential for the Ponce Playa area. And if the more tropical farms pop up- they also can be tourist attractions (who would not want a fresh mango!!!).

In the shorter term, I've seen La Guancha when it was much more active. Pretty close to the dock, and in the path to a close beach.

The big issue is whether they want to keep Ponce more business like or attract tourists.

First, you need to identify what it is people need to see.

Which isn't a lot. My wife is from Ponce, and she'd much rather spend time walking around San Juan for the 1000th time than spend tourist time in Ponce.

It's cool to see tourists in Ponce when we are wondering around, but we really have to consider what they are going to see. Tibes, Hacienda Buena Visa, Castillo Serralles, Museo de Arte de Ponce, and a few other items come to mind quickly. The Ponce Plaza does not have the same appeal as San Juan- and it does not go out as far, too. There are some other nice museums, but one should note that they are largely in Spanish- so it's tough on the typical tourist.

I do realize that there's a big potential for the Ponce Playa area. And if the more tropical farms pop up- they also can be tourist attractions (who would not want a fresh mango!!!).

In the shorter term, I've seen La Guancha when it was much more active. Pretty close to the dock, and in the path to a close beach.

The big issue is whether they want to keep Ponce more business like or attract tourists.

I hear you! And it's been my criticism for years, there's so much potential in the whole souther area for local and foreign visitors not just in Ponce. Beaches in Guánica, historic sugar mill plantations in Ponce and Salinas, mangrove walks in Guayama, a visit to San Germán historic district, local coffee plantation that offer guided tours, etc. The potential is there.

• 4 months later...
I just found this nice blog about things to do in Ponce. The owners are conducting guided tours of downtown Ponce, so feel free if they have any set for your day at Ponce!

https://islacaribe.co/blogs/news/the-best-of-ponce-for-first-time-visitors

This link is no longer working, can you tell me what it was about? and whether still operational?

I want to go to Hacienda Pomarrosa but need a way to get there. Any ideas on how to achieve that would be appreciated.

This link is no longer working, can you tell me what it was about? and whether still operational?

I want to go to Hacienda Pomarrosa but need a way to get there. Any ideas on how to achieve that would be appreciated.

HI! The new address for the walking tour persons is this: http://islacaribepr.com/

As for Hacienda Pomarrosa, I'd suggest you contact them their website is http://www.revoedutech.org/cafepomarrosa//#

I could provide driving directions if you plan on driving on your own when you visit Ponce.

Google Maps information:

Hacienda de Café Pomarrosa

143 Caminos Hogares Seguros, Mercedita, Ponce 00715, Puerto Rico

+1 787-844-3541

https://goo.gl/maps/sFos7Wc9ApP2

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...