Need Help Regarding Pre-Cruise Hotels, Transportation, Tours in Rome

DragonOfTheSeas

I'd say it's not a common practice to bump customers from hotel rooms. Unfortunately it seems to be a problem at the San Giorgio in particular. I'm not sure about the other hotel you mention but if it is a very small hotel, they may have overbooked thinking one or more reservations might fall through...

I'm sure Albergo del Senato will treat you well. I've always enjoyed my stays there very much. 

17 hours ago, Lanz said:

What a great thread, thanks to all for the excellent information.   We too fly into Rome for our cruise November 2019.  We’ve been to Rome a few times so trying to decide where to stay.  I like the idea of the Hilton and the country side tour/transportation to port.   Thanks again😊

We end our cruise in Rome on November 10, 2019 and then will stay at a B+B near the Vatican for 2 nights. It's our first time in the Med! Enjoy your trip. Jen

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm sure Albergo del Senato will treat you well. I've always enjoyed my stays there very much. 

Yes--I think they will. 

I have gotten 3 emails from them regarding different services they offer. [ arranging for car from FCO, etc]

I replied to one email with a question and got an answer within 30 minutes. 

Thank you for all of your help.  

I am following this thread with interest. While I have not booked a cruise yet but am looking ahead to my first trip to Rome and cruise from Civitacecchio. Would you recommend for a first visit, upon landing in Rome to spend 2 to 3 days then check in for 1 night at the cruise Port. As I said this would be my first visit and hopefully the daughter will be able to join me so haven't started a list of the must see's yet. Thank you for any information and advice you provide me. As far as a cruise I am looking at the 9 or 11 day visting the Ports of Crete, Mykonos, Rhodes, Santorini, Athens, Naples. 

Gay

1 hour ago, Alaskanb said:

We end our cruise in Rome on November 10, 2019 and then will stay at a B+B near the Vatican for 2 nights. It's our first time in the Med! Enjoy your trip. Jen

Hi Jen, we will just miss you.  We board the Sky November 10 , would have loved to sai with y’all again.

• Thanks 1

For your first time in Rome, I would definitely suggest spending at least 3 nights, 4 days in Rome, or more if you can.  So much to see!  Try to get a hotel in the center or near the Vatican.  To get to Civitacecchio, it will take about 90 minutes from the city center, depending on the time of day.  There are some good companies to pre book a car service from the hotel to the port, and you would need to have a car service that can bring you into the port, and not just to its gates.  Some car services do not have the license to bring you right to the terminal, so check that out.  Enjoy the sites of Rome before your cruise!  Does your cruise line have a pre-cruise Rome package?  Are you returning to Rome at the end of the cruise?  For a 2 or 3 night stay, it would be better to stay in Rome and not at the airport, as you would still have to deal with the train in and out.  Have fun!

51 minutes ago, Desert Cruizers said:

I am following this thread with interest. While I have not booked a cruise yet but am looking ahead to my first trip to Rome and cruise from Civitacecchio. Would you recommend for a first visit, upon landing in Rome to spend 2 to 3 days then check in for 1 night at the cruise Port. As I said this would be my first visit and hopefully the daughter will be able to join me so haven't started a list of the must see's yet. Thank you for any information and advice you provide me. As far as a cruise I am looking at the 9 or 11 day visting the Ports of Crete, Mykonos, Rhodes, Santorini, Athens, Naples. 

Gay

There is no real need to stay in Civitavecchia pre-cruise if you'll be in Rome. It just complicates things unnecessarily. Going to the port in Civitavecchia from Rome is about like going from Fort Lauderdale to Miami -- no reason not to just do it on the day of your cruise. (Civitavecchia is NOT a charming town and there is little to do there!)

Cruisemom thank you, I really had no reason to want to stay near the cruise port other then wondering if it was necessary. if I hadn't planned for the daughter & I to go out of San Juan on a b2b for 2020 I might have looked at a cruise from Rome more seriously. The other problem I had, I had just lost my husband on our Serenade TA Sept 2017  and not knowing where I would be financially wanted to keep my next cruise closer to home for 2019 then begin moving out from there. Our daughter fell in love with cruising during our family 2014 NZ cruise so she will be my cruise mate now.:classic_smile:

2 hours ago, Desert Cruizers said:

Cruisemom thank you, I really had no reason to want to stay near the cruise port other then wondering if it was necessary. if I hadn't planned for the daughter & I to go out of San Juan on a b2b for 2020 I might have looked at a cruise from Rome more seriously. The other problem I had, I had just lost my husband on our Serenade TA Sept 2017  and not knowing where I would be financially wanted to keep my next cruise closer to home for 2019 then begin moving out from there. Our daughter fell in love with cruising during our family 2014 NZ cruise so she will be my cruise mate now.:classic_smile:

You're welcome. Feel free to ask questions on this forum as you refine your plans -- we all love to talk about Italy!

5 hours ago, Alaskanb said:

Hi Jen, we will just miss you.  We board the Sky November 10 , would have loved to sai with y’all again.

4 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Yes--I think they will. 

I have gotten 3 emails from them regarding different services they offer. [ arranging for car from FCO, etc]

I replied to one email with a question and got an answer within 30 minutes. 

Thank you for all of your help.  

Dragon the hotel Albergo del Senato, looks fantastic, what a wonderful location.  I tried to book for 2019 but didn’t have any luck, probably too early.  I sent them an email.   Thanks for the recommendation, the reviews are excellent😊

Please excuse the duplicate replies, don’t know what’s happening.   I guess I need to get use to the new format.

Spoke with the daughter and she is excited about an Italy or Med cruise. It has been a dream trip of mine, I was able to give my husband his dream trip from Australia so hopefully I can find mine.:classic_smile: Mom will foot most of the cost but daughter will help where she can. We have to wait until after our 2020 Southern Caribbean. Hopefully I am still in good health by then. 

Gay

Thank you. Her first cruise with us from Sydney, Australia, she took off to check out the Radiance. We didn't see her again until dinner LOL. She will be traveling with me next March to Hawaii out of San Pedro, my first cruise since my DH's passing and again the following March on the Freedom. On the Australia trip she actually got 3 cruises in on that trip, NZ, Transpacific and Hawaii back to Seattle, then the Serenade in 2015. I think she loves to cruise. I am concerned about the cost of air for flights to Rome. What months would you recommend a cruise from Rome with Greek Ports. 

Gay

1 hour ago, Desert Cruizers said:

Thank you. Her first cruise with us from Sydney, Australia, she took off to check out the Radiance. We didn't see her again until dinner LOL. She will be traveling with me next March to Hawaii out of San Pedro, my first cruise since my DH's passing and again the following March on the Freedom. On the Australia trip she actually got 3 cruises in on that trip, NZ, Transpacific and Hawaii back to Seattle, then the Serenade in 2015. I think she loves to cruise. I am concerned about the cost of air for flights to Rome. What months would you recommend a cruise from Rome with Greek Ports. 

Gay

I bought my airfare using the Air2Sea.  You can go on the site and put in the dates of a few of the cruises in the timeframe that flights are loaded.  It will give you an idea.  . . . It might help you narrow it down some.  As to the time of year--I have read how hot it is in the summer.  Can you travel in the fall?

Daughters best months due to her business are April or September/October. they tend to be her slowest months. Just looking at schedules for myself & not pricing out of Calif, she lives in COL, I can go PSP -----> DFW --------> Rome. LAX really doesn't offer me any savings as I need to pay a shuttle to get me there so that offsets the difference between PSP ( Palm Springs ) & LAX. 

Gay

• 2 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:39 PM, nicecruiser said:

Dear Dragon of the Seas,

Thank you for the thread.  It has tons of valuable information. Could you tell where you book Vatican tour - i tried to find it without success.  Thank you.

Irina

Sorry--I posted this on the other thread.  I was not paying attention to what I was doing. 🙂 

This site may help you.  This is where we booked.

http://www.museivaticani.va/content/museivaticani/en/visita-i-musei/scegli-la-visita/visitatori-singoli.html