Beware of the Tourist Trap Beach Chairs

Iwantacruisenow

Just returned from our cruise and was a little disappointed with the beach chairs at Grand Turk. I thought I'd red a post that chairs are somewhat free at this port. That may be so but I never found one. Got off the ship, it was crowded! Went to find chairs but first vendor stated $25 per day for two chairs. Same with 2nd guy. In fact there were many vendors available right off the ship. Wound up getting a front row chair with a close up view of the cruise ships. Granted beach and water were great but would rather have open water. Interestingly another vendor came by and asked if we had paid and was somewhat intimidating. Decided to go for a walk down the beach toward the coast guard pier. As I walked, price went from $25 to $15 to $10 with less crowds and better view. We soon realized the view of open water was much better than that of the ship. Decided to write off the $25 in favor of nicer chairs at Reef Shark Bay and Grill. View of open water, beach service and free wifi. Chairs were only $15 and were nice. I highly recommend you try the local beer.

Lesson Learned: In Grand Turk if you want to sit on the beach in a nice chair walk further down the beach just off the pier. Don't fall for the tourist trap!

• Like 1

If you really want a great view and nobody around, take a taxi to Governors Beach. There are no facilities no chairs, no restaurants and hardly ever anyone there. As you can see from the picture, the ship is still close by. We walk back on the road then cut across the beach to Jacks Shack then walk the beach back to the ship. [b0eb3d1d6768694c75b0fb844d516cf6.jpg03330adaa1754c4efdf86cf4600e389f.jpgIMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180104/e1b25d58eb37fb0fbe7d36a827d6a2ee.jpg[/img]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are some chairs operated by the cruise port that are free, they have green umbrellas with markings that identify them as such. They are located right next to the pier.

AF1QipM4PDlkBz3t39mdX5WG8aycVcNiQM6f7R8AHNc8

Interesting, did not see these and the cruise ship did not mention. Thank you for the tip!

However, I imagine they are behind all the other chairs and you won't be able to see water, just hoards of people and a big cruise ship blocking the views at the pier. Even though they are free I'd prefer closer to the water with open views. So, for the price of two drinks on-board ship you can get two nice chairs for the day and a couple of local beers. But that is my preference and to each his own. If you need free, you can just sit anywhere on the beach with a beach towel provided by the ship. And, I do concur Governors Beach by the shipwreck looked very nice and really was within walking distance from the pier via street. You just won't have access to chairs, restrooms and drinks so plan accordingly. BTW, they did not check bags coming off the ship. If you have a drink plan accumulate a couple to go and bring a collapsible cooler. Ask your steward for some ice. But again, the local beer was really very good and only $3. Cheers to all!

We are heading out next week on the Conquest... do you recall tour operators on the beach offering snorkeling?

As of 15 months ago there was a snorkeling shack on the beach near Margaritaville that rented snorkeling gear. I don't know if it's still there after the hurricanes; probably so. (I just bring my own gear.)

If you're looking for a full excursion package, I don't know if those were booked at the snorkel shack but there will be tour operators in the plaza just outside the DuFry shop. I think they can accept walk-ups if space permits...although you might as well book the excursion through the ship at that point.

If you really want a great view and nobody around, take a taxi to Governors Beach. There are no facilities no chairs, no restaurants and hardly ever anyone there. As you can see from the picture, the ship is still close by. We walk back on the road then cut across the beach to Jacks Shack then walk the beach back to the ship. [b0eb3d1d6768694c75b0fb844d516cf6.jpg03330adaa1754c4efdf86cf4600e389f.jpgIMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180104/e1b25d58eb37fb0fbe7d36a827d6a2ee.jpg[/img]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the tip! And this beach is free to access?

Sent from my iPhone

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Grand Turk last week. Yes, the first two rows of loungers are run by the vendors and they charge. The rows behind are free. They were packed in like sardines. If you go to the right of the pier there are loungers and clam shells that are ALL free and less people. The water edge is rocky so if that is important to you bring water shoes also.

DSCF2022_zpsu5zgno1f.jpg

DSCF2021_zpsd4kasac5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We immediately noted these local agressive vendors when we docked there at Thanksgiving. They approach you as soon as you step on the beach in an "in you face" kind of way.

It was easy to tell their chairs and umbrellas for they were mismatched, with the vendors initials spray painted on the rather worn looking fabric of the chairs. Not sure how they got appropriated the prime real estate closest to the water.

There seemed be lots of serious competition among them, some of which began to feel downright uncomfortable when they are arguing with each other right in front of you.

Fortunately we were the only ship in port that day, so there were plenty of the free loungers and umbrellas available, which are much nicer, and cleaner.

We have been to Grand Turk several times before and always enjoyed it-we were also there in March. But not so much this last time. If there was more than one ship there I am not sure I would even bother getting off again if this continues.😠

This must be relatively new. We have been to GT 3 times and never saw anyone charging for chairs. There were always lots of free loungers on the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Same here for us ... never a charge for beach chairs in the areas just off the ship in Grand Turk within the port terminal area.

Friends on our port stop in January 2018 said it cost them $25 for two chairs & umbrella in the port terminal area.

Has this changed?

:confused:Confused :confused:

Same here for us ... never a charge for beach chairs in the areas just off the ship in Grand Turk within the port terminal area.

Friends on our port stop in January 2018 said it cost them $25 for two chairs & umbrella in the port terminal area.

Has this changed?

I was there this past Saturday.

Yes, local vendors now "rent" the two rows of loungers closest to the water in front of Margaritaville.

Behind those, the chairs and umbrellas are all similar and are usually marked "GTCC" for Grand Turk Cruise Center. THOSE are free, as are all the chairs and clamshells to the right of the pier, when facing the shore ("Welcome To / Grand Turk").

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just returned from our cruise and was a little disappointed with the beach chairs at Grand Turk. I thought I'd red a post that chairs are somewhat free at this port. That may be so but I never found one. Got off the ship, it was crowded! Went to find chairs but first vendor stated $25 per day for two chairs. Same with 2nd guy. In fact there were many vendors available right off the ship. Wound up getting a front row chair with a close up view of the cruise ships. Granted beach and water were great but would rather have open water. Interestingly another vendor came by and asked if we had paid and was somewhat intimidating. Decided to go for a walk down the beach toward the coast guard pier. As I walked, price went from $25 to $15 to $10 with less crowds and better view. We soon realized the view of open water was much better than that of the ship. Decided to write off the $25 in favor of nicer chairs at Reef Shark Bay and Grill. View of open water, beach service and free wifi. Chairs were only $15 and were nice. I highly recommend you try the local beer.

Lesson Learned: In Grand Turk if you want to sit on the beach in a nice chair walk further down the beach just off the pier. Don't fall for the tourist trap!

Why pay for these chairs that are stolen from Carnival.. All the chairs that are with the Green Umbellas and back to the pool are free. The locals want you to rent their chairs, most of the chairs are stolen from the Carnival.

• Like 1

Has this changed?

It has not changed, but the locals started to illegally charge for the chairs in the first 2 rows. All chairs with the Green Umbrellas and back to the pool are free. Don't deal with the locals in the 2 front row that charge you $25 for 2 chairs when 2 rows back Carnival provides free chairs with a large Umbrella

Question for the board. We are going to GT for the first time in two weeks. Is it possible to drag the free chairs closer to the water if you want to have that view? Or is this practice frowned upon? Thank you![/quot

It would not be frowned on, the beach is free. Actually you can remove the Carnival stolen chairs that the vendor put under their Umbrellas and move them closer to the beach.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately 1st timers to Grand Turk walked away when told of the charge as they did not know about the free chairs and umbrellas. I was able to tell a few before they got caught by the vendors but many larger family groups with kids just left and missed out

We are heading out next week on the Conquest... do you recall tour operators on the beach offering snorkeling?

I actually highly recommend the 'Ray, Conch and Reef' snorkel through Carnival. We went two years ago and had a fabulous time. We are actually planning on taking it again when we return this year to Grand Turk.

• Like 1