Tips / info / photos about Motu Mahana

Motu Mahana is a day of relaxation, pampering, adventure and incredible beauty all wrapped together. Usually the tenders start around 10:00 am and the last one returns around 4:00 pm. Tenders run every 15 20 minutes. As the new pier has been completed you no longer get your feet wet when you arrive. Personally I sort of miss the beach landings but for some I'm sure it is nice to have. I've included a high resolution link for those that want to take a better peek.

Your welcomed to the motu by the The ship's Polynesian host ....

The%20Polynesian%20god%20on%20Motu%20Mahana%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-NrFkZTS/0/a5f4b245/X3/The%20Polynesian%20god%20on%20Motu%20Mahana%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

Closeup%20of%20blowing%20the%20conch%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-6wQSpX5/0/4251de51/X3/Blowing%20the%20counch2-X3.jpg

Tahaa%20-%20Gaugines%20Motu%20Mahana%20day%201%20-%202%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-JkBjq9L/0/1f68c4e6/X3/Tahaa%20-%20Gaugines%20Motu%20Mahana%20day%201%20-%202%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

Tahaa%20-%20Gaugines%20Motu%20Mahana%20day%201%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-pJdQVFz/0/90b0baed/X3/Tahaa%20-%20Gaugines%20Motu%20Mahana%20day%201%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

.Motu%20Mahana3%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-4MZ4wdT/0/761f9420/X3/Motu%20Mahana3%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

A fun little video taken December 2015 before the new pier was built but you get the idea of the fun/excitement ...

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-KPdKkBq/0/539f0d6c/960/Motu%20landing-960.mp4

More to come ;)

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Before I add a bunch more pictures let me say there is some good snorkeling around Motu Mahana. However, it isn't for the novice, you must be in good physical shape and are not afraid of swift water. The location is right at the reef opening where the water comes flowing in very fast. You can not walk on the reef, that is a no no but you can walk across the shallow area toward the reef. Once you get close to the reef you walk parallel with it toward the opening. Staying close to the reef keeps to shield from the rushing water. Once you get to the opening hold on to the reef and edge yourself around the corner into a little 'cove'. From this location you can sit without being in the rushing water and place your head/mask into the water and look into the 'bowl'. There is a deep bowl (white circle) that is around 20 feet deep and 30 feet around. I've seen large colorful fish and octopus from this vantage point. I'll repeat .... this location isn't for the novice or for those that are not strong and feel safe in fast moving water.

motu%20mahana%20map-XL.jpg

Before I add a bunch more pictures let me say there is some good snorkeling around Motu Mahana. However, it isn't for the novice, you must be in good physical shape and are not afraid of swift water. The location is right at the reef opening where the water comes flowing in very fast. You can not walk on the reef, that is a no no but you can walk across the shallow area toward the reef. Once you get close to the reef you walk parallel with it toward the opening. Staying close to the reef keeps to shield from the rushing water. Once you get to the opening hold on to the reef and edge yourself around the corner into a little 'cove'. From this location you can sit without being in the rushing water and place your head/mask into the water and look into the 'bowl'. There is a deep bowl (white circle) that is around 20 feet deep and 30 feet around. I've seen large colorful fish and octopus from this vantage point. I'll repeat .... this location isn't for the novice or for those that are not strong and feel safe in fast moving water.

motu%20mahana%20map-XL.jpg

TBK, so is this a different area than the excursion that PG does for the Drift Snorkel excursion?

And, if it is, is it comparable or is it a better experience to do the drift snorkel excursion and then go to the Motu?

Thanks,

Doug

TBK, so is this a different area than the excursion that PG does for the Drift Snorkel excursion?

And, if it is, is it comparable or is it a better experience to do the drift snorkel excursion and then go to the Motu?

Thanks,

Doug

Different ... this at the Motu. The drift snorkel area is superior and it isn’t as difficult.

The BBQ lunch is usually ready around 11:30 am and continues through around 2 pm. This allows time for everyone that went on morning tours to enjoy the BBQ. For you that go on the drift snorkel the vendor will drop you off at the motu, in fact if you look at the quick time video about 3/4 of the way through the dive team drops off and then right after the drift snorkel vendor drops off.

One of the highlights is enjoying a foo foo drink in a coconut. There is a full bar including beer on tap but the foo foo drinks are a big hit.

Coconut%20cutting%20-%20z%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-5F4qqTg/0/4ba8aeff/X3/Coconut%20cutting%20-%20z%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

foo%20foo%20large%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-sfRz8gz/0/a3122fb4/X3/foo%20foo%20large%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

foo%20foo%20drink%20motu%20mahana%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-Sx8mqWc/0/f1053e1e/X3/foo%20foo%20drink%20motu%20mahana%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

Of course who doesn't like the floating bar ...

Motu%20Mahana%201080-XL.jpg

Good food, great bar and of course your enjoying Polynesian music much of the day

Gauguines2%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-WKQ8tT2/0/103b1a28/X3/Gauguines2%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

Motu%20Mahana%20day%201%20-%20Gauguines%20singing%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-xtdC9B8/0/94b00896/X3/Motu%20Mahana%20day%201%20-%20Gauguines%20singing%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

Much more ahead about Motu Mahana ....

There are plenty of toys to play with at the motu ........

motu%20mahana%20stand%20up%20boards%20-%20z%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-th4n3pf/0/d9643df9/X3/motu%20mahana%20stand%20up%20boards%20-%20z%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

Or you can order another drink from the floating bar ....

Floating%20Bar%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-wvxQdVb/0/d311416d/X3/Floating%20Bar%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

Or maybe you just want to snorkel right off the beach .... BTW, that is my BH ...

Motu%20Mahana%20snorkeling%20%281%20of%201%29%20%282%29-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-vjPT2mD/0/ee095828/X3/Motu%20Mahana%20snorkeling%20%281%20of%201%29%20%282%29-X3.jpg

Sit under a palm tree and take in the view ....

reflection%203%20%281%20of%201%29-L.jpg

Then maybe a soft drink to cool you off .... delivery service .... no problem!

Motu%20Mahana%20day%201%20-%20bar%20guy%20delivering%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-pGTQjRW/0/49cf90ba/X3/Motu%20Mahana%20day%201%20-%20bar%20guy%20delivering%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

Don't forget this experience is on the #1 mid size cruise ship in the world.

Motu%20Mahana%20day%201%20-%20award%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/South-Pacific-Photography/i-fn7g9fp/0/a7114822/X3/Motu%20Mahana%20day%201%20-%20award%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

More on Motu Mahana still to come ....

Beautiful photos.. what do you take your photos with?

Love the palm/coconut tree shadow in the water..

love it

Thank you ....

On these pictures I used a Canon 6D or a Canon 70D, nothing over the top ...

I now have two full frame Canons as I've just purchased a 5DIII and will likely purchase a 5DIV or a 5Ds before my next cruise.

Interestingly the palm tree shadow was done with a 2.1MP Canon HV10 video camera that just happened to shoot stills .... remember it's more about how to use a camera than what camera ....

• 7 months later...

TBK,

My wife and I are sailing on PG Sept 8 for 11 days, and will spend 2 nights at ICH Moorea pre cruise and 4 nights ICH Thalasso Bora Bora post cruise. I'm a recently retired professional photographer and am excited to visit and photograph French Polynesia. I very much enjoyed your 19 page "review" with images, and love how you have captured the very essence of what I think of when I think "Free Polynesia". You have many beautiful images, and have given me inspiration and photo ideas to last me the entire trip. I've been a Canon shooter for decades, so I'm bringing a 5D Mk111 (removed the grip to make it lighter), 17-40 f4, 24-105 f4, and for low light my 50 f1.4 and 85 f1.8, along with a 600EX, 3 camera batteries, charger and about 256 GB of CF and SD Cards. Additionally, I purchased an Olympus T5 to shoot some underwater stills and video, and to take on excursions where I would find my 5D too cumbersome or susceptible to water damage. The Air Tahiti flight to Bora Bora has major restrictions on both checked and carry on bags, and I was able to find a camera backpack that fit their criteria, but the above gear is all that will fit and meet their weight requirements. Anything I'm missing or you would recommend I take in addition to the above?

Thank you for all the time and effort you put into this forum, you're a Godsend for first timers to FP and photographers like myself.

Randy

Hi Tahitianbigkahuna!

I am trying to orient myself to where exactly this point is so that we can find it without too much difficulty. Will it be easy to identify this area from the shore of Motu Mahana? Is there a reference point on Motu Mahana that I could use to know where your arrow is starting?

We did the drift snorkel last time and loved it but don't want an exact repeat so I very much appreciate this advice for a good snorkeling spot.

Thanks!

Brooke

TBK,

My wife and I are sailing on PG Sept 8 for 11 days, and will spend 2 nights at ICH Moorea pre cruise and 4 nights ICH Thalasso Bora Bora post cruise. I'm a recently retired professional photographer and am excited to visit and photograph French Polynesia. I very much enjoyed your 19 page "review" with images, and love how you have captured the very essence of what I think of when I think "Free Polynesia". You have many beautiful images, and have given me inspiration and photo ideas to last me the entire trip. I've been a Canon shooter for decades, so I'm bringing a 5D Mk111 (removed the grip to make it lighter), 17-40 f4, 24-105 f4, and for low light my 50 f1.4 and 85 f1.8, along with a 600EX, 3 camera batteries, charger and about 256 GB of CF and SD Cards. Additionally, I purchased an Olympus T5 to shoot some underwater stills and video, and to take on excursions where I would find my 5D too cumbersome or susceptible to water damage. The Air Tahiti flight to Bora Bora has major restrictions on both checked and carry on bags, and I was able to find a camera backpack that fit their criteria, but the above gear is all that will fit and meet their weight requirements. Anything I'm missing or you would recommend I take in addition to the above?

Thank you for all the time and effort you put into this forum, you're a Godsend for first timers to FP and photographers like myself.

Randy

No problem on the thread ....

You will shoot 90% of your pictures with the 17-40 and the 24-105. Leave the other two lenses at home. Remember to bring a CP and a ND filter. I bring a 3 stop and a 10 stop. The dynamic range is huge in FP and you'll need to choose your exposure based on the way you like to shoot. If you like to shoot shallow you will want the 3 stop. If you want to capture that milky smooth water you will want a 10 stop but then you will need to pack a tripod in your checked bag, I do it all the time.

I would also suggest a Yongnuo transmitter so you can shoot off-camera flash with you 600 EX-RT.

Most of my photos where shoot with a 6D. Sold my 5D MIII this last week as I just purchased a Sony 7r III and some Sony G glass.

You will love using your 17-40 in FP ;)

Hi Tahitianbigkahuna!

I am trying to orient myself to where exactly this point is so that we can find it without too much difficulty. Will it be easy to identify this area from the shore of Motu Mahana? Is there a reference point on Motu Mahana that I could use to know where your arrow is starting?

We did the drift snorkel last time and loved it but don't want an exact repeat so I very much appreciate this advice for a good snorkeling spot.

Thanks!

Brooke

You can't miss it .... It's where the water comes in through the reef into the lagoon at Motu Mahana. As you look toward the wharf from where it touches the motu look to your right .... the reef opening is what is shown on the map.

Thanks TBK, I have a CP but not the ND, and since both the 24-105 and the 17-40 are 77mm I can use both on both lenses. I'll order a 3 stop, as there is no room for me to pack a decent tripod. I do have a Gorilla grip, and an itty bitty Ambico tripod that will hold my TG5. I hadn't thought about shooting off camera flash, but if I remove one of my primary lenses I would have room to pack my PW TT1 mini and TT5 flex which gives me ETTL off camera. I could actually mount the flash on the Ambico.

On a different note, do you register your gear with Customs in advance?

Thanks again,

Randy

Thanks TBK, I have a CP but not the ND, and since both the 24-105 and the 17-40 are 77mm I can use both on both lenses. I'll order a 3 stop, as there is no room for me to pack a decent tripod. I do have a Gorilla grip, and an itty bitty Ambico tripod that will hold my TG5. I hadn't thought about shooting off camera flash, but if I remove one of my primary lenses I would have room to pack my PW TT1 mini and TT5 flex which gives me ETTL off camera. I could actually mount the flash on the Ambico.

On a different note, do you register your gear with Customs in advance?

Thanks again,

Randy

I do not register gear ... Have never had an issue and I've done this a long time.

Thanks, I really appreciate your input. Nice to have a pro photographer to answer questions. I've read your full 19 page thread 2 times, picked up a little more info the 2nd time, and will most certainly read it again.

Randy.

Thanks, I really appreciate your input. Nice to have a pro photographer to answer questions. I've read your full 19 page thread 2 times, picked up a little more info the 2nd time, and will most certainly read it again.

Randy.

Keep in mind your in paradise .... people want to see 'paradise'. Unless I'm intentionally wanting to isolate something I usually stay in the sweet spot of the lens. That would be f/8 - f/13 on your zoom lenses. On a 24-105 I shoot landscapes at 35mm and stay in the sweet spot, this gives me some nice DOF and everyone gets to see 'paradise'.

If your going to leave one lens at home I'd suggest the 85mm. I own one, have brought it a few times but never used it. The 85mm is a true portrait lens and as mentioned your in paradise, people want to see the setting ....

This is why you want to be able to shoot off-camera flash ... taken with a 24-70 @35mm, f/10, 1/125, ISO-100, manual flash ... notice the loop lighting ;)

i-2JBghT6-X3.jpg

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Yes, nicely done, and almost a necessity since both you and your wife wear glasses. I'll probably leave the 85 at home, the 50 1.4 does a nice job in low light. Do you stack the ND and CP?

That is not a picture of us ... I took the picture with my lovely better half holding the off-camera.

I do stack filters but only on a zoom so I can be at 35mm. This way I don't get distortion or vignetting.

Haha, my bad, I thought I had seen pictures of you earlier in your post, and some distant shots of your wife, but apparently didn't recall your faces. I have read so much and seen so many images on these boards my head is spinning. It's amazing what some people consider to be "gorgeous pictures' in these posts, which is what happens in our iPhone and "free dozen filters" world these days. I read people asking for photography advice from someone who uses a $379 P/S camera on Auto and I want to scream. But, as you referenced, it's paradise, and most images anyone shoots will be amazing to most people.