A day in St. Croix -- what to do?

MonaCK

Trying to figure out, since the hurricane, what we should do in St. Croix. We will be stopping here in March - and have never been here before. Is it advisable to do an island tour given the recovery on the island? Should we keep it simple - maybe just head over to the Cruzan factory? Any ideas on if there are tour guides operating at this point? The pickings on the RCCL site were a little slim for this port...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Trying to figure out, since the hurricane, what we should do in St. Croix. We will be stopping here in March - and have never been here before. Is it advisable to do an island tour given the recovery on the island? Should we keep it simple - maybe just head over to the Cruzan factory? Any ideas on if there are tour guides operating at this point? The pickings on the RCCL site were a little slim for this port...

Please tell us what you ended up doing on March port stop in St. Croix?

Many of us would be very interested.

We were there in Feb. Walked off the ship and booked a shuttle to Christiansted. Once there visited the National Park (entry $7pp) and walked along the boardwalk.

Yes there is damage but the island is up and running and welcomes tourists. I also agree the small fort at the dock is worth a visit.

We were there in Feb. Walked off the ship and booked a shuttle to Christiansted. Once there visited the National Park (entry $7pp) and walked along the boardwalk.

Yes there is damage but the island is up and running and welcomes tourists. I also agree the small fort at the dock is worth a visit.

Do you recall the cost of the shuttle? Where did you find it?

Walk off the pier and once you pass the security gate and pass the welcome building. You'll see a small park with two desks and people selling tickets for taxi rides and tours. All trip prices are posted. You pay in cash and they'll give you a ticket for your return trip. You'll wait until a jitney is filled and ghee off you go. The driver will do some commentary and will tell you where to meet in Christiansted. The round trip ticket was around $20pp (part of me says it was $16 pp but l'm not sure).

Thanks. We're debating on renting a car which would be cheaper than taking the shuttle for 4 of us, but I'm a bit wary not only because of the left lane driving, but also because of the road conditions with all the pot holes.

• 2 months later...

I'm also at kind of a loss as to what to do at this port. The offerings are also slim on Celebrity (no surprise there, since they're part of the same company), but I'm not finding a lot outside the cruise line either. There are a couple of snorkel tours, but people seem to mostly be reporting that the snorkeling underwater views aren't that great and the sea life seen is minimal, and one of the more popular ones seems to cram people in like sardines so that they can head out to very mediocre snorkeling. I'm going to keep looking, but it's not very encouraging at this point.

We were there once about 4 years ago and booked an independent tour on 4-wheelers and it was great. Going back next February and are planned nh on s beach day st Rainbow beach

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We ended up renting a car from Budget for around $55. They no longer have an office at the pier (despite what their website states), but they do base a few cars there and will send an agent over from their airport location. We drove over to the Botanical Garden and then on to Christiansted. Roads are no worse than many U.S. locations, and traffic lights were working when we were there in March. Traffic is relatively light, and I had no issues driving on the left (no confusing intersections). The harbor area in Christiansted is very nice with several good options for lunch. Although we skipped it, there would have been plenty of time to stop by the Cruzan Rum Factory for a tour since it's just off the main road to Christiansted.