Few questions - Room service, shore excursions, karaoke

Kreiven

I have few questions and I've been searching it here but it's not so clear yet.

1) The room service, which they normally ask if you want once or twice a day, morning or afternoon, is about cleaning? If so, is it normal to get twice a day? Why? For me once a day (morning probably) would be enough, that's why I'm wondering if it's only about cleaning or if it's about getting food/drinks in the room.

2) Do people always go to shore excursions? Is it fine to not book any? I'm finding the excursions a bit expensive and I would rather chill at the beach near the port than going on these 4-5 hours excursions. Is that a normal thing to do? (I'm going to Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman) - or will I feel like the only one not going to any excursion?

3) Is there any Karaoke at the Carnival Sensation? Not that I'm a good singer but my girlfriend likes it, so she asked me if there is any.

Thanks, guys!

Responses below in red:

1) The room service, which they normally ask if you want once or twice a day, morning or afternoon, is about cleaning? If so, is it normal to get twice a day? Why? For me once a day (morning probably) would be enough, that's why I'm wondering if it's only about cleaning or if it's about getting food/drinks in the room. You can select, morning, night or both for service. It's up to you which you prefer, but if you decide on both, don't let your steward try to change your mind. On our Thanksgiving cruise, I selected morning but we're normally twice a day folks. I really regretted it especially not getting fresh towels at night. Plus, after our Cozumel day, there wasn't a towel exchange when we reboarded the ship, so the next morning I had to wait until the towel exchange on deck was open to get clean beach towels. From now on, we'll stick to service twice a day.

2) Do people always go to shore excursions? Is it fine to not book any? I'm finding the excursions a bit expensive and I would rather chill at the beach near the port than going on these 4-5 hours excursions. Is that a normal thing to do? (I'm going to Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman) - or will I feel like the only one not going to any excursion? Not always. It's up to you and what your budget allows. If you have a must do once in a lifetime excursion you want to do, maybe splurge on that. The boards for the specific ports have a lot of great info about do it yourself excursions, beach info, etc. Plus, you can book directly with vendors, not through the ship. But, if you go that route, make sure you're aware of the potential risks. e.g. not getting back in time to the ship due to vehicle breakdown, traffic.... If you book through Carnival, they'll hold the ship in most cases.

Also, you can do a port day and stay on the ship. It's blissfully uncrowded with not as many activities but you'll enjoy having the ship to yourself.

3) Is there any Karaoke at the Carnival Sensation? Not that I'm a good singer but my girlfriend likes it, so she asked me if there is any. I haven't recently been on the Sensation but karaoke is a Carnival staple and on my past two cruises, they've had it every night.

Thanks, guys!

1) The room service, which they normally ask if you want once or twice a day, morning or afternoon, is about cleaning? If so, is it normal to get twice a day? Why? For me once a day (morning probably) would be enough, that's why I'm wondering if it's only about cleaning or if it's about getting food/drinks in the room.

2) Do people always go to shore excursions? Is it fine to not book any? I'm finding the excursions a bit expensive and I would rather chill at the beach near the port than going on these 4-5 hours excursions. Is that a normal thing to do? (I'm going to Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman) - or will I feel like the only one not going to any excursion?

3) Is there any Karaoke at the Carnival Sensation? Not that I'm a good singer but my girlfriend likes it, so she asked me if there is any.

Thanks, guys!

Room service is different than what you're talking about. You can get room service 24/7 on the ship. Some items are free, others not. But, you should tip the person bringing your order as they aren't part of the prepaid gratuities, or if you don't prepay, what's added onto your sail and sign card before the cruise is over.

Your cabin will be kept tidy/clean by a room steward. You'll have your choice of once a day, or twice a day. How often is really up to you, but if you want twice a day you need to seek out your steward and make that clear to him/her. When they take care of your cabin they will leave at some point in the day literature, and the Fun Times which is the schedule for the following day. If you have a cooler, and have asked them to keep it iced they will do that too.

With regards to excursions, if there's specific things you really don't want to miss at a port you should book that sooner than later. It could book up. (example, Nachi Cocom, Little French Key-but neither of these are at your ports) Not all ports have a beach right there so you'd have to either walk a distance or take a taxi. Grand Cayman is one of those places that you'd have to walk or cab to.I can't remember Jamaica. We did Dunns River Falls there. Also, when you get off the ship there will be lots of venders trying to sell your their attraction. If you see something you like you can book it then, or you can also still book an excursion while you're on the ship sailing to the next port.

Yes, the Sensation has karaoke. https://www.carnival.com/onboard/karaoke#

Thanks, guys!

1. We like room service twice a day. The trash bins are small and we also like fresh towels. We may take 2 showers a day and would like fresh towels each time. Also the turn down service is nice at night. We don't usually get ice because we've always had refrigerators in our cabins. If you keep the cabinet door open where the fridge is, it will stay cold.

2. You do not have to do shore excursions, especially not through Carnival. You can either go off and do things on your own (free) or you can book an independent excursion. You can go to the ports of call boards and see things to do in those ports, or check on TripAdvisor (don't worry, I am sure the "go to the library and get a guidebook comment will come later today, LMAO)... Do some research on those ports and see if there's anything you want to do that's free, or paid through an outside vendor or even Carnival. You can always just take a taxi wherever you want to go.'

3. I'm pretty sure there will be karaoke. :)

Here's a active thread explaining and giving opinions on cabin service:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2579950

Many folks - especially avid beach goers - don't go on formal excursions. They grab a cab to the nearest beach. The ports of call boards here on Cruise Critic can give you a lot more information on the best beaches and how to get there. One thing though, ALWAYS agree on a price before you get in the cab

See above in red

In Grand Cayman you can also take a bus to the beach. 2.50 per person exact change. The buses are vans. When they see you walking the will honk. If you want them to pick you up raise your hand and they will stop. They have routes to follow but will also detour about a mile to take you somewhere that is not on their direct path.

Thanks, guys!

Room service - Delivery of food and drink is what is usually meant by room service. There is a door hanger menu for breakfast items which you would put out the night before and also a 24 hour menu that you would call from your cabin to place the order. Some items on the 24 hour menu have a charge and it is customary to provide a tip/gratuity for the delivery. Room service tips are not part of the daily service gratuity charge for housekeeping/dining staff.

- Your "room" is usually called a cabin on a ship, and that is where the twice daily service happens by your cabin steward. You can select morning, evening, or both. If you have both it will probably only be cleaned once (sweeping and bathroom) but trash will be emptied and towels changed both times. Your cabin steward will provide ice upon request also.

Shore excursions - We have only booked through the cruise line or done self-guided walking tours of the port. If it is a private beach day we enjoy what the cruise line offers and don't book additional. It is totally up to you and your girlfriend and your interests. Many people don't book any excursions and just enjoy a local beach or even stay on the ship.

Good luck with your planning and enjoy your cruise!

Its your vacation so do what you and your budget will allow. However with that said be aware of your surroundings and be careful going off the beaten trail in Jamaica.

It is one of the few ports that I only will do a cruise ship excursions in. And yep the vendors are aggressive and will try to convince you that purchasing pot is legal in Jamaica. It is not and passengers can get in trouble over this.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks, guys!

• Having Room Service = enjoying a tasty treat delivered to you if you call for it.
  • Having your Room (Cabin) Serviced = clean up, beds made, fresh towels, etc. Once or twice a day.

Two separate things that I miss equally when I'm at home.

As others have said, no need to sign up for any excursions if it's not what suits you.I'm a big planner but let my hubby be in charge of Aruba since he'd been there before. Big mistake. We got off the ship and he started reading signs, looking around to see what there was to do.... We ended up taking a very loooooong walk on the beautiful beach, and eventually back to the ship. I am a fan of beach days, but that's the last time he was in charge of research. ;p

• 2 weeks later...

Room /cabin cleanings, I prefer twice a day but once is sufficient so that is what I usually choose. It's really nice to have your cabin refreshed, bed made , things picked up that you get spoiled when you only get it once. We usually have a beach day at the more familiar ports. I really like seven mile beach in grand Cayman, it's close by, the shuttles will drive you there and pick you up or you could walk. It's a beautiful, small island and I always get off the ship there. Not so much in Jamaica, but have done ship sponsored tours, like dunns river, but since it is far away, I go through the ship. If you decide to stay on the ship, you will not be alone, it is enjoyable to stay on all day, or even stay on later than everyone else on a port day. You can choose to wait a few hours before getting off in port too. Either way, it is fun. Finally, karaoke is one of our favorite things to do. Watch the fun times, it usually happens every night in various places and times but they do post it in the fun times and in the hub app if you have it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums