Review- Viking Sea: From the Caribbean to the Amazon (Dec 16, 2017 to Jan. 6, 2018)

Shoalwater

My husband is from Brazil and I have visited his home country 4 times, mostly in the south but we spent a week alone together in Salvador. I'm not going to try and discourage you from going on this cruise, but if you want the kind of experience you are describing in your post IMO you need at least a week in each port, with a private guide and camping equipment for a trek in the jungle, who takes a maximum of 6 people.

This cruise gives one only the bare taste of the Amazon and doesn't begin to go on any inland trips. It would be like traveling from NY to Frisco in a week's time and expecting to see the entire country. Most don't realize how huge the Amazon is and the size of the basin and area it covers. Going through the estuary takes almost a day before you see any signs of civilization.

Belem is rich in history, and most don't know it was named after Bethlehem. There is also a Belem in Portugal. It's a huge city with sky scrapers, and because I don't believe Viking judged this stop and the time it took to get there and back correctly and the need to tender in, I'm guessing and from what I've read they won't be returning.

There are many lectures on board from several knowledgeable people. Perhaps this cruise could help you decide where you might want to return on your own for longer stops.

Where is "Frisco?"

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Guessing this is tongue and cheek given where you live!?

Hopefully the Amazon trip out of Miami in a few weeks will reap some benefits of change as a result of all the feedback given from this first voyage.....not sure though how we will know....

Well gee. So sorry I inadvertently offended a bunch of Californians.

I thought this group was going to have an informative discussion, not critical of shortened city names that have around for decades.

Enjoy your cruises, happy sails to all.

Bye.

You didn't necessarily "offend" anyone. Rather, we just want you be aware that you'd get some weird looks if you used that term here.

Just picture someone in a U Mich. sweatshirt walking down High St. in Columbus. Not quite as bad as Frisco. But, bad nonetheless.

Well gee. So sorry I inadvertently offended a bunch of Californians.

I thought this group was going to have an informative discussion, not critical of shortened city names that have around for decades.

Enjoy your cruises, happy sails to all.

Bye.

I was sincerely just trying to be lighthearted and find some levity...... This whole Amazon trip has been stressful for those who just sailed it, and is stressful for those of us scheduled to do so. I sincerely apologize if I offended. It was not intended to be that way.

Just yankin' your chain. San Franciscans bristle at the use of the word Frisco. It's almost as bad as insulting someone from Brooklyn by calling him/her a "New Yorker."[emoji6]

I’m glad I said San Francisco on my recent trip [emoji33]. But much of my family lived in Brooklyn as did I for 4 years. We never considered New Yorker an insult, but Brooklyn is better [emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m glad I said San Francisco on my recent trip [emoji33]. But much of my family lived in Brooklyn as did I for 4 years. We never considered New Yorker an insult, but Brooklyn is better [emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Howyadoin?

Before it made the major error of agreeing to become a "borough" of NYC, Brooklyn was the fourth largest city in the US. There was even a sign on the Brooklyn Bridge proclaiming that distinction.

The only problem with a Brooklynite's agreeing to be called a New Yorker is that inhabitants of the other boroughs consider themselves New Yorkers - even that "upstate" one - the Bronx![emoji15]

Just kidding! OR maybe not (if you are old enough to have been a Brooklyn Dodger fan.

Fuggedaboudit!

Everyone I’ve ever met from that area lately has been very specific about where they’re from, e.g. Queens, Brooklyn. However, I do not think it’s right for Americans to get so upset when not everyone is aware of these small distinctions...especially people from other countries.

Everyone I’ve ever met from that area lately has been very specific about where they’re from, e.g. Queens, Brooklyn. However, I do not think it’s right for Americans to get so upset when not everyone is aware of these small distinctions...especially people from other countries.

I am not, nor was I, in the least bit upset. As I said, I personally was just being light, have some fun, and looking for some levity - I can’t speak for others. LadyImpactOhio was only trying to be helpful and I have appreciated hers, everyone’s feedback and suggestions who just took this journey. Those of us booked on future Amazon trips are very concerned and quite honestly a bit stressed - which is why I was trying for levity. Clearly I missed that mark, and once again I apologize if I mistakenly came across differently -

Unfortunately we are now way off track from what this thread is about. So please, could we get back to what what happened on the Amazon trip, and what Viking is going to do to correct it?

...Those of us booked on future Amazon trips are very concerned and quite honestly a bit stressed...

Unfortunately we are now way off track from what this thread is about. So please, could we get back to what what happened on the Amazon trip, and what Viking is going to do to correct it?

Those booked on the future Amazon trips are rightly concerned after many of these reports. I joined this thread because we have just returned from a very similar Amazon cruise, but on Regent. Heat and humidity aside (which everyone will have to deal with), it sure sounds like Viking has some adjustments to do for its excursions.

For instance, in the Viking jungle walks, I believe it was mentioned there were upwards of 100 on the Viking excursion. For one of ours, in Santarem, I think Regent ran two or three large coaches. We had about 30 people in our coach, which even at that was too many for a single group walking single file through the jungle on the narrow footpaths. I'm thinking the ideal group size for the jungle walks would be 15-20.

As to ports, we did not call at Belem, but we did stop at Alter do Chao, a delightful, small beach resort community on the river.

For those scheduled for future Viking Amazon cruises, I do hope they are able to listen to feedback from their guests and make some changes. The Amazon is a fascinating experience, unlike typical ocean cruises.

I can't comment on the ship, but I have been on this cruise on an Oceania ship. Our tours were good.

As was mentioned before:

You will be disappointed if you expect the excursion variety, beaches, and shopping opportunities of the Caribbean. Thousands of passengers support this infrastructure.

You will be disappointed if you expect the cultural artifacts to be right there with experienced guides explaining all the buildings and ruins like they do in Europe where thousands of visitors support the well-developed tourism infrastructure .

You will be disappointed if you expect an in-depth jungle experience like you would in a lodge or on a riverboat in Peru and Ecuador where the tributaries of the Amazon permit a close-up look.The Amazon up to Manaus is a river highway. If it weren't, you could not go there on an ocean going ship. For a more in depth experience, are you willing to fly into Quito, then hard scrabble boom oil town Coca, then take a small river boat on the Napo where the first Spanish Amazon expedition started?

So why did I enjoy this cruise very much?

I like out of the way places in all parts of the world. Schools, temples, churches, parks, forests, local markets, cemeteries, villages, all good enough to see, some great, some just ordinary. The cruise gave me a glimpse of how the local people live in their stilted and floating houses along the river. I had also read books including the chapter on the Amazon River in Charles C. Mann's "1491".

It's a privilege to watch life from a luxurious cruise ship. I am too old to play survivor on one of the local river boats. Did you see the hammocks hung on their decks?

Howyadoin?

Before it made the major error of agreeing to become a "borough" of NYC, Brooklyn was the fourth largest city in the US. There was even a sign on the Brooklyn Bridge proclaiming that distinction.

The only problem with a Brooklynite's agreeing to be called a New Yorker is that inhabitants of the other boroughs consider themselves New Yorkers - even that "upstate" one - the Bronx![emoji15]

Just kidding! OR maybe not (if you are old enough to have been a Brooklyn Dodger fan.

Fuggedaboudit!

My Dad was - big time Dodger Fan! He stopped watching baseball when they moved. I spent a lot of time staying with my cousin in Bay Ridge as a kid, but we lived in Red Hook for 4 years. I kind of left my heart in Brooklyn. not San Francisco :hearteyes:

I'm sure you have the same thing in Canada. Don't dare spell Saint John, New Brunswick, St Johns - or confuse it with the St Johns in Newfoundland! I can't tell you how many times I was corrected before I got it right! :D

Actually, I didn't join this thread to talk about Brooklyn, San Francisco or Canada either - sorry about getting off the rails.

I did join to hear about the ship more than the itinerary. We are doing the West Indies Explorer on the Viking Sea and I'm always like a sponge before a trip - absorbing everything!

I don't care much about the entertainment or lack thereof, but I hope with some more trips under their collective belt, they get the service issues in the dining venues in line. One of the reasons we booked Viking Ocean, was the excellent service we had on our Viking river cruise.

And I do really love the design of their ships. The Viking Mani exceeded my expectations in that department greatly. I was ready to move in :D

I read some trip reports from people and I wonder if they even read a brochure before booking (not the OP here - on some other threads I've read recently). I become like research junkie - I want to know EVERYTHING!

So I'm enjoying this thread. I don't think an Amazon cruise is for me - and I thank you for that. I always did want to see Iguazu Falls - but I don't think that was on your itinerary :D

My Dad was - big time Dodger Fan! He stopped watching baseball when they moved. I spent a lot of time staying with my cousin in Bay Ridge as a kid, but we lived in Red Hook for 4 years. I kind of left my heart in Brooklyn. not San Francisco :hearteyes:

Though our main residence was very close to the "center of the known universe" (I.e., "The Junction" - crossing of Flatbush and Nostrand Avenues), I spent much of my childhood in Red Hook. Nona lived just a few doors down from the Cammareri Bros Bakery on the corner of Sackett and Henry (yes, the bakery in "Moonstruck").

As a young lad, I too was traumatized by the Dodgers moving to L.A.. The Yankees and Giants were the "enemy." So, for me, baseball quickly went from passion to afterthought.

Here's a little gem for Dodger fans: Why the name "Dodgers?" Multiple trolley tracks lined Empire Blvd adjacent to Ebbetts Field. To get into the park, one had to "dodge" the trolleys. Ergo, the "Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers."

CyberKat: depending on your age while in Red Hook, you may have often found yourself at the Saturday morning matinee at the Happy Hour Theater on Columbia Street. That was one of my dad's movie houses.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Off topic: this happened to me on another cruise line. I asked a woman if she was American, and she answered ‘no’. I then asked where she was from and she answered: Pennsylvania. I know this would never happen on a Viking cruise.

One of the reason we love.Viking is because we meet interesting intelligent people from around the world. I also hopeViking gets things sorted for their next Amazon cruise. I do know that they seem to be working hard to get it right in future.

RJ002 and Floridiana - thank you both for further feedback on The Amazon. The research that we have done leaves no expectations for Caribbean nor European experiences on the journey. DH has actually been on a smaller river boat on the Amazon in Peru....so he has an even better idea than me.

Which brings me to the fact that yes, we did the research and we did read several other cruise line passenger reports from their Amazon journeys.....and yes, it can be a fantastic experience. You two just added to the list of reports that support this expectation. I agree RJ that a walk in the jungle should have been even smaller in numbers than Regent offered - by far......but I am not hearing from either of you the widespread dissatisfaction that was experienced on the Viking Amazon trip.....

The port of Belem is not on the February trip that Viking is doing and I see no replacement ports.

Alter do Chao is popular with other cruise lines so maybe Viking will change to this as their add - because they need to have more than 3 ports in the Amazon to justify the distance and the cost.

I know that Viking is working on all of this and we are looking forward to their updates as they manage through it. Getting the Excursions piece correct is critical for Viking to achieve success....as well as the other misses outlined in this thread.

In the meantime we are sponges for more information that you both may want to share regarding the Amazon! Thanks again

I am not, nor was I, in the least bit upset. As I said, I personally was just being light, have some fun, and looking for some levity - I can’t speak for others. LadyImpactOhio was only trying to be helpful and I have appreciated hers, everyone’s feedback and suggestions who just took this journey. Those of us booked on future Amazon trips are very concerned and quite honestly a bit stressed - which is why I was trying for levity. Clearly I missed that mark, and once again I apologize if I mistakenly came across differently -

Apology accepted.