CPAP Machine

ozcruizer

I used the tap water the last cruise with no problem, but my husband and I both wear mouth splints because we grind and clench our teeth. We soak them in water during the day and after a couple of days they really stunk...had to be the water because we brush them before we put them in the water. I know the ship water is reverse osmosis, but there must be something in there that made them reek. Think I will get the bottle of distilled this time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

We traveled in March and had the c-pap in carry on. It was examined and swabbed. Between DH's cpap and our new baby girl's diaper bag with declared water bottle, TSA took 20 mins (after going through the body scanners) giving everything the stink eye and the swab. Baby wipes and butt cream flagged us.. who knew? :')

Good info on the cpap though. We will be back at sea in a few short years and I will call the Special Needs phone number as soon as possible to get an extension cord and distilled water. DH had puzzled over this question. Thanks. :)

We travel a lot and I finally bit the bullet and bought the mini CPAP. No water needed. Size slightly larger than a deck of cards. Got tired of hauling the larger than large briefcase for my CPAP through the airport, onto the place and transferring to shuttles. Company I purchased it through had a package that included the machine, mask, headset, tubing and travel bag ,plus 12 month 0% financing. Win/win

Recent comments about some who check their cpap with checked luggage.....we just heard from a friend who made that decision at the last minute and when they arrived on ship the bag had been smashed somewhere and the plastic water resovoir was cracked. I have never trusted airlines with medical items or expensive items i would have to replace ..........

We travel a lot and I finally bit the bullet and bought the mini CPAP. No water needed. Size slightly larger than a deck of cards. Got tired of hauling the larger than large briefcase for my CPAP through the airport, onto the place and transferring to shuttles. Company I purchased it through had a package that included the machine, mask, headset, tubing and travel bag ,plus 12 month 0% financing. Win/win

Are you speaking of the Air Mini? I too have lugged the large CPAP machine and have been looking at the mini for travel. Plus the headset appears to be much nicer. Probably able to place in Carryon also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the air mini. There is a 30 day trial, which I did. The customer support is amazing and they tweaked the setting while I was talking to them. It is going to make traveling so much easier!!!

Yes, the air mini. There is a 30 day trial, which I did. The customer support is amazing and they tweaked the setting while I was talking to them. It is going to make traveling so much easier!!!

Really? I'd love to have something like that! Is it ok to use for full time use or just recommended when traveling?

Really? I'd love to have something like that! Is it ok to use for full time use or just recommended when traveling?

What I have read is it can be a full time device. It’s a ResMed Air Mini, check it out! I’m going to look into it for travel and cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think it is meant for full time use. The humidity is a disk placed along the tubing. If you are interested in the company I purchased mine from, you can PM me and I can pass on the information

• 1 year later...
On 1/9/2018 at 5:29 PM, liketraveling said:

I have used mine on both the Maasdam and the Ooesterdam. I request and extension cord and order the distilled water from the indulgences package under the beverage package, the cost is 2.95 a gallon. You are allowed to bring your own water. For me the convience for $2.95 works for me.

The cabin Steward will set it up for you so the extension cord is out of the way as much as possible

I have ordered the distilled water - but what about the extension cord - can  you somehow order it in advance, also ?  Or do you just ask the Steward for it when you board ?

When we sailed on Celebrity last year - I had an extension cord in the bag with the cpap machine - and the cord was confiscated 

(Sailing on the Oosterdam in a couple of weeks) 

THANK YOU  

Edited by GreenValleyDogWalker
typo

10 minutes ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

I have ordered the distilled water - but what about the extension cord - can  you somehow order it in advance, also ?  Or do you just ask the Steward for it when you board ?

When we sailed on Celebrity last year - I had an extension cord in the bag with the cpap machine - and the cord was confiscated 

THANK YOU  

I always bring a straight 12 ft extension cord, with a single receptacle at the end.   Cruise lines will grab any extension cord that includes multiple outlets or surge suppressors.   I never have a problem with a straight 12 ft cord..   But yes, you can get one from guest services after boarding.  

Edited by TAD2005

Sometimes the extension cord gets in the way, so we ask the cabin attendant to have some one tape it up off the floor and out of the way.  They did an excellent job and it was nice and neat and I did not trip on it in the middle of the night.  Also our TA sprung for the distilled water.   A bottle of wine would have been better however, but it was a nice thought on their part.

2 hours ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

THANK YOU  

You need to call ship Services to request the Extention cord.

1-800-541-1576

I am going on the Celebrity Eclipse and there process is so much easier.  Again my vacation planner took care of it before I contacted the accessibility department.

Usually my Personal Cruise Consultant takes care of it for me.

Edited by liketraveling

23 hours ago, Billthekid said:

Sometimes the extension cord gets in the way, so we ask the cabin attendant to have some one tape it up off the floor and out of the way.  They did an excellent job and it was nice and neat and I did not trip on it in the middle of the night.  Also our TA sprung for the distilled water.   A bottle of wine would have been better however, but it was a nice thought on their part.

I unplug my extension cord each morning and stow it along with the face mask in the drawer of the nightstand.  I always worry if I leave the face mask and hose attached to the machine, it may be kinked or damaged when they make up the beds.   I bring a European to US plug adapter and use the 220 volt desk outlet for the CPAP, and keep the 120 volt outlet for my laptop charger.   All CPAP machines will work from either voltage.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

I unplug my extension cord each morning and stow it along with the face mask in the drawer of the nightstand.  I always worry if I leave the face mask and hose attached to the machine, it may be kinked or damaged when they make up the beds.   I bring a European to US plug adapter and use the 220 volt desk outlet for the CPAP, and keep the 120 volt outlet for my laptop charger.   All CPAP machines will work from either voltage.

Almost exactly so with one difference: CPAP cord+extension cord behind the curtain above my bed (kind of windowsill where we also store books etc.) 🙂

5 hours ago, MAVIP said:

Almost exactly so with one difference: CPAP cord+extension cord behind the curtain above my bed (kind of windowsill where we also store books etc.) 🙂

I hope that is storage only, and you bring the CPAP down to the nightstand when you go to sleep, at least if you use a humidifier. 
The CPAP should be lower than your head to reduce the danger of water running down the hose, and being forced into your lungs. Not so much a concern on land, but at sea, on a ship that can rock, it's a concern. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

I hope that is storage only, and you bring the CPAP down to the nightstand when you go to sleep, at least if you use a humidifier. 
The CPAP should be lower than your head to reduce the danger of water running down the hose, and being forced into your lungs. Not so much a concern on land, but at sea, on a ship that can rock, it's a concern. 

Of course I should have spelled it as CPAP-cord? De CPAP itself stays on the night stand. It's just the cord and attached extension cord on the "windowsill".  thank you for your attention 🙂 

Edited by MAVIP

I too sleep with a cpap and had started to get tired of hauling around my regular machine (Resmed S9).  I considered the Air Mini, but I have to have real humidification, so sadly it was not an option.  Recently the Phillips Dreamstation Go released a humidifier that can be used with that travel machine.  I decided to give it a try and I love it!  The machine is a bit bigger than the Air Mini, but still small.  Advantages over the Air Mini are a real screen, so you don't have to use an app on your phone, you can use any mask with it (with the Air Mini, if I recall you have to use one of 3 options), it also has a USB plug in it that you can use to charge another device like a phone, so good for when there aren't many plug ins.  You can get a battery for it so you can use it where there is no power - like on an airplane or camping, but you cannot use the humidifier if using the battery, so I didn't bother.  

I've taken it on 3 trips so far, and I can't emphasize how much I love it.  So, it's another option for those who want a travel cpap with humidification and/or a real screen.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, scluvsrain said:

Is it quiet? I’ve heard over and over that the air mini is noisy. 

That’s exactly what I was going to ask!  My provider loaned me an air mini to try for a few days (I already used a mask that worked with it plus I stopped using the humidifier).  Anyway, I found it too noisy compared to my own machine.  I will have to ask if they have the Phillips to try (they didn’t last year).  We live in Canada so will send my provider an email to ask.

We also have 2 cpaps and now let HAL have our extension cords and gallon of distilled water. So simple and very little money to not have to lug around distilled water.  Plus, depending on where the outlets are they will take charge of setting up electrical cords.  I am trying to remember if it might have been Nordam we were on in a standard veranda room that did not have outlets by/behind bed and they had to run them across room toward vanity and they put down a towel on top of cord to remind us to watch out for cord........but most ships have outlets near bed

I'm a long time CPAP user who switched to  a HDM Z1 (current model is Z2) mini machine about the size of a soda can and with no humidifier.  There is a small accessory device that captures moisture from breaths and releases it back to the user.  I don't miss having to arrange for water.

I have sailed dozens of cruises (HAL primarily, But also RCC, Celebrity & Uniworld) with a 12' extension cable with two 3 gang plugs and a 10' with one 3 gang and it's never been taken.  They have no filters or surge protectors on them.  I, too, use the 220v adapter with my cords. Each morning my cord is coiled up and put away.  The Z1 and headgear are stowed in the bedside drawer.

19 hours ago, scluvsrain said:

Is it quiet? I’ve heard over and over that the air mini is noisy. 

The Dreamstation Go is fairly quiet.  My husband's full-size Dreamstation is essentially silent.  The Go is a bit noisier - about the same as my ResMed S9 - but still pretty quiet.  I can't provide any comparison to the AirMini because I've never heard it.  

I also live in Canada.  I actually ended up ordering the Go from a Canadian online CPAP vendor.  It came with the provider instructions, and I just set it up to the same specs as my home machine.  It was a lot cheaper than getting it from my local provider, and since it's just a secondary machine, I didn't really need any of the services with respect to it that the local vendor provides.