What's Safe in Cozumel/Costa Maya?

Between the news of excursions in Mexico crashing, sinking, and being held at gunpoint, and the news last spring of American tourists being drugged/robbed at Mexican resorts, I have no idea what to do on 2 Mexican port days. Taking my tween/teen kids for their first-ever cruise, and unsure what the best options are in light of recent news.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. We have been to Mexico many times and have never felt concerned. The people are friendly, but will try to sell you everything; just say no thanks and move along. There are many great beach options in Cozumel that your family will never forget. If concerned, take a ship sponsored beach trip

IMO, Mexico is no different than many 3rd world countries (I think MX is considered "3rd world"), there are a few bad people that do bad things that get all the news, but they are in the very small minority.

http://cozumelmexico.net/Cozumel-Beaches.html

http://www.mrsanchos.com/

http://cozumelnachicocom.net/

• Like 2

With all due respect... this is not a fair question for this forum and an impossible question to answer.

If someone replies don’t worry about it... and you don’t in turn worry about it... and the unfortunate happens, then what, you’re mad at the bad advice? (Never mind the tragedy you and your family endured)

Or if someone says you should stay on the ship while in port... and you do... and everyone else on the ship goes on and on about how wonderful the ports were, you’re again mad at getting bad advice.

Only you can make decisions regarding the safety of you and your children. Research and do what you’re comfortable doing.

Although this too could be bad advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Between the news of excursions in Mexico crashing, sinking, and being held at gunpoint, and the news last spring of American tourists being drugged/robbed at Mexican resorts, I have no idea what to do on 2 Mexican port days. Taking my tween/teen kids for their first-ever cruise, and unsure what the best options are in light of recent news.

I do not know if you are really afraid or ... Accidents happen anywhere in the world and there are also malicious people around the world. Example the planes fall or knock down on purpose, many fear the worst when boarding your flight. We are going to Miami and Vancouver to take the cruises of my dreams, forgetting about those worries and enjoying the holidays.

Bon Voyage and Enjoy your vacation

There were just under 200 shooting homicides in DC last year and some 30 traffic fatalities. The latter figure doesn't include 60 pedestrians who died after being struck by a vehicle (2015). Any cruise-related incident seems to get a lot of media play, but in my experience the number of deaths or serious injuries incurred by passengers, other than through natural causes, is probably lower than the average "at home".

Your concerns are understandable, but there are many highly reliable tour operators providing safe shore excursions, both ship-sponsored and private. Perform your due diligence in checking them out on the internet and getting a good idea of which ones have a proven track record, and then book and enjoy yourselves.

• Like 1

Use commons sense and research your ports. You can research both Mexican ports here on cruise critic and also on tripadvisor. There are many excursions and activities that I'm sure your family will enjoy. And I believe you will be quite surprised after visiting these ports. Many, many cruisers visit these ports and a very small percentage have any issues or problems of any kind. Like I said, use common sense when traveling and do your homework before you go. Cozumel is one of my favorite ports and have traveled for land vacations several times, in addition to many stops on a cruise.

Have a wonderful cruise!

We visited Cozumel and Costa Maya last year in February while on the Equinox. If you use the same dock that we did last year in Cozumel, you will need to take transportation to go into the touristy area of town. It was so hot when we were there, we just went back onboard but have been to Cozumel many times and one of my favorite things was Chankanaab Park (sp?).

We've also been to Costa Maya a couple of times before and had a great tour of the ruins (can't remember the name ... sorry). This last time we went to Tropicante Ameri-Mex Grill on the beach. We caught a cab for a couple of dollars out to the boardwalk area and reserved a table and lounge chairs ahead of time there in the shade. You can check out their website from Facebook or Tripadvisor ... and make a reservation with Steve Uhl (sp?) ahead of time, the proprietor there. It was blast!! We were in a group of 6 adults, though ... but it is located on a swimming beach so the kids might like that. If you do decide to do this, make sure you find the right establishment...the Tropicante. It's old Mexico ... not like at the pier.

We felt safe enough in Costa Maya, a little less safe in Cozumel, though. There are places in Mexico where I won't get off the ship, so don't blame you for your concern. I used to visit Mexico a lot in my younger days and have seen some crime occur so always good to go with an awareness of your surroundings. Now, I go with my gut feeling .... and if my gut tells me I am somewhere I shouldn't be, I go back to the ship.

• Like 1

We have been to Cozumel 8 times on cruises and Costa Maya 3 times. Both ports are much safer than many parts of Mexico.

Cozumel - There are 3 piers in Cozumel and you are most likely to be at the downtown pier or the International pier. If you want to shop, the downtown pier is the most convienent. The street that runs along the water has many shops. Yes, the salespeople are aggressive, but a simple no thank you is all it takes. There are lots of bars and great places to eat all along there and no problem at all with safety. Taxis are regulated in Cozumel, so set prices depending on where you are headed. The beaches in Cozumel are very beautiful and a quick search on CC will give you lots of suggestions. If you are at the international pier, you can be downtown with a quick cab ride. There are also lots of shops right at the pier. Pancho's Back Porch is a great restaurant with the original location downtown and also one at the international pier. They are attached to Los Cinco Soles, a nice shop where they don't harass you. They have their own brand of vanilla that is safe and wonderful. If you have never used Mexican vanilla, be sure to get some. It is stronger than regular vanilla and very tasty, just be careful where you buy it as there are some sellers with questionable ingredients.

Costa Maya is a port the cruiselines built. There is a fully enclosed shopping area (no street vendors) and a very lively Carlos and Charlies. The shopping there is expensive (save it for Cozumel). They also have an enormous pool with a swim up bar that is lots of fun. There are some hammocks and palapas (small area) on the water, but it is very rocky there. If you want to go the the beach, you have to go out of the port to Majahual, the small fishing village nearby. The snorkeling there is really nice as are the beaches. We have taken ships excursions to go snorkeling and have also just stayed at the pool and relaxed.

I would not hesitate to enjoy either port. As always, just use common sense. The issues you have read about with Mexico have not been at these two ports.

• Like 1

Regardless of what you do it will still be safer than doing it in DC, or LA or Chicago etc.

For the Cozumel stop the Secret River excursion is really good! Kids will love that one. Tulum is a great excursion too, although a lot of travel time between the ferry and the bus ride. In Costa Maya you can take a taxi/Shuttle to the beach for a few bucks or they have an adventure park near the pier with zip lines and water slides etc.

This is the secret river

18952910_10207730747701549_1551068268450069140_n.jpg?oh=48dc76796294cc11f94bedab7f879f11&oe=5AF0AC40photo.php?fbid=10207730747701549&set=a.10207730743661448.1073741834.1678872025&type=3&theater

We did the Chacchoben Ruins tour with Native Choice tours in Costa Maya last year. Kasi was our guide and it was one of the most informative, fun ruin tours I have ever been on. They will drop you off at the beach on the way back if you like. Never felt unsafe at any time on the trip. I will guarantee you that you are more safe in Cozumel than any large city in the United States. I wouldn't hesitate to explore on my own in Cozumel and have many times. Get out of the downtown area and enjoy the island.

We have been to Cozumel many times in our 25 years of cruising. Never felt unsafe and always found the locals pleasant to deal with. Our favorite places to spend the day are Chankanaab state park and Mr Sanchos beach resort. Both are a short cab ride from port, would be attractive for teens, and are cheaper than most ship sold excursions (look for online discounts).

Crime happens everywhere, we wanted our daughter to go on a cruise with us to Europe two years ago and she refused saying its not safe then her and my wife go to Las Vegas in October for this great country music concert and by the grace of god made it out safe with just cuts and scrapes. We were in Cozumel and Costa Maya on the Equinox last July and never felt unsafe. We did not care much for Costa Maya but really liked Cozumel we did the Cozumel Amazing Race with our kids and had a great time.

We were in Cozumel 3 years ago on a cruise. We used a very high-rated TripAdvisor recommended cab company for a private taxi tour of 5 hours. At that time, we felt completely safe. The driver was friendly, and gave us a day to remember. Nothing was amiss. It felt much safer than Matzatlan, which we had been to on a cruise a couple years earlier. That said, just stick with "safe" options.

We were in Cozumel And Costa Maya last month; I would recommend booking a private snorkel trip in Cozumel: 3 stops along the crystal clear waters. Native Choice has some excellent tours in Costa Maya. We have been all over Mexico including 5 weeks of driving in the Yucatán and Cenral Mexico in the past 10 years without an issue.

The violent crime and murder rate in the DC area is literally more than 10 times higher than in these Mexican Resort towns. I take more serious precautions when traveling inside the US than when traveling to these destinations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums