P and O Australia - Australia Day Cruise Disappointment

datone

I heard from P&o today and while they aren't offering OBC, they are offering us a full refund.

Unfortunately cancelling isn't an option, as flights have already been booked and we have been counting down the days since early last year. ;)

I heard from P&o today and while they aren't offering OBC, they are offering us a full refund.

Unfortunately cancelling isn't an option, as flights have already been booked and we have been counting down the days since early last year. ;)

Several other passengers have received $100 OBC. They didn't get that offer from the first person they spoke to. The matter had to be referred up the line. Whether you get the OBC or not, I am sure you will enjoy your cruise.

Thank you! We are looking forward to the cruise.

I replied back to the email sent by the Guest service manager earlier, just waiting for a response.

Would you suggest giving P&o a call and asking to speak to a manager?

Thank you! We are looking forward to the cruise.

I replied back to the email sent by the Guest service manager earlier, just waiting for a response.

Would you suggest giving P&o a call and asking to speak to a manager?

Definitely phone them. I don't believe you will get anywhere by email. Explain how disappointed you are, but that with flights etc. booked, you don't want to cancel. Ask if they can provide something as a goodwill gesture for the change of plans. As I mentioned, be prepared that someone more senior will have to phone you back. Best of luck.

I think the bright lights of the ships would detract from the experience. They look very large in the harbours. That of course doesn’t excuse P&O for the misrepresentation

I don't believe that P&O would have deliberately misrepresented the plan for Australia Day. That would have been very dumb and very poor business practice because it was bound to cause upset to many passengers with the company having to refund some fares and give OBC. It is pretty obvious that when the Australia Day Council and the local authorities made their plans for the fireworks, they decided they did not want any ships in the harbour. I seem to recall that a few months ago there was an announcement of changes to the plans for the fireworks for this year's Australia Day. This resulted in P&O's permission to anchor in the harbour being withdrawn.

I don't believe that P&O would have deliberately misrepresented the plan for Australia Day. That would have been very dumb and very poor business practice because it was bound to cause upset to many passengers with the company having to refund some fares and give OBC. It is pretty obvious that when the Australia Day Council and the local authorities made their plans for the fireworks, they decided they did not want any ships in the harbour. I seem to recall that a few months ago there was an announcement of changes to the plans for the fireworks for this year's Australia Day. This resulted in P&O's permission to anchor in the harbour being withdrawn.

So if the decision to was a made a few months ago why has P&O only JUST announced the changes..hmm.... oh yeh ..if they announced it a few months ago the would not have sold as many cabins...much cheaper to give the "whingers" who ask , a $100 OBC (which would probably cost P&O $50 if that)

So if the decision to was a made a few months ago why has P&O only JUST announced the changes..hmm.... oh yeh ..if they announced it a few months ago the would not have sold as many cabins...much cheaper to give the "whingers" who ask , a $100 OBC (which would probably cost P&O $50 if that)

We still don't know when P&O were definitely advised that their ships could not be in the harbour.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some legal wrangling going on in the meantime.

I agree with that. It's likely P&O were in serious discussions on this matter before the axe fell. If this is the case, it is reasonable that they would not have advised passengers until the final decision was made.

And seeking some sort of compensation from the Australian day council or whoever, as they are responsible for revoking the permission.

Which is the NSW Government, be like getting blood out of a stone.:(

A poster at my local train station advises passengers that the fireworks on Australia Day has been relocated from Darling Harbour to Circular Quay this year, could this be the reason why cruise ships are no longer permitted to anchored in the harbour?

P.S. I have never been to the city on Australia Day, and didn't realise the fireworks was never at Circular Quay before.

A poster at my local train station advises passengers that the fireworks on Australia Day has been relocated from Darling Harbour to Circular Quay this year, could this be the reason why cruise ships are no longer permitted to anchored in the harbour?

P.S. I have never been to the city on Australia Day, and didn't realise the fireworks was never at Circular Quay before.

Correct, that is the reason, the real question was why was the decision made so late.

Cannot see how fireworks going off high in the sky could be blocked by a ship moored at sea level and in the middle of the harbour. We were on the Pacific Eden for Australia Day last year ( and don't change it from Jan 26th to please a few whingers ��)and the fireworks were a pretty disappointing display.

was thinking of that too fireworks up in the sky last i saw them and if you know there is a ship there find a spot with out a ship in front of you anyway no offense to anyone , i would not care i would find a spot watch the fireworks and enjoy it all , there is so much to watch even if the ships not there you would miss stuff anyway :cool: