Best things to do as a solo cruiser

superduper123

33 minutes ago, skleeb said:

I would love to do that, also!! Which line? And, dare I ask, how much is the cost?

Scroll down for the price...it went up about 1k per passenger since I booked it...but keep in mind, I had to pay double that, as I couldn't find anyone with the time to share it with me....

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/around-the-world-cruises/new-york-to-miami-INS190111H/?sr=%2Fcruise-finder%2F%23destinations%3D180dayworld

On 11/21/2018 at 7:47 PM, bob brown said:

I have been cruising solo now, for a couple of years, but on each of the five or six, I have known some friends from previous cruises, so did not feel so 'solo'.   

Now, I am about to embark in January on a 180 day (six month) cruise around the world, and other than some 'roll call' conversation's, will not know anyone from before.   I really had to dig into my savings to afford this 'bucket list' cruise, and tried in vain to find anyone to share it with.   But it is my retirement gift to myself, so am really looking forward to it, as well as hopefully making some great new friends among my fellow 'worldie' shipmates....:classic_smile:

I'd like to do something like that sometime, but it would be hard to be away from the grandkids that long.

I did a 28-day b2b starting with an ocean crossing as my retirement gift to myself (9 consecutive sea days when my longest previous cruise was 8-days). Around 30 people from the crossing stayed on for the next cruise so that was a core of familiar people to socialize with, have dinner with and see in port. It enhanced traveling solo. Should be even better on a world cruise.

The cruise line does foster some camaraderie among the "full worldies" on a world cruise, by sponsoring a series of on board special parties for them, as well as several exclusive shore side events.   

I hope to make several new friend's from among my cruise mates....:classic_smile:

On 12/13/2018 at 7:42 AM, bob brown said:

The cruise line does foster some camaraderie among the "full worldies" on a world cruise, by sponsoring a series of on board special parties for them, as well as several exclusive shore side events.   

I hope to make several new friend's from among my cruise mates....:classic_smile:

Are you going to be doing any kind of blog for the duration ? I love reading 'world cruise' blogs !!

11 minutes ago, PerfectlyPerth said:

Are you going to be doing any kind of blog for the duration ? I love reading 'world cruise' blogs !!

Not a real blog, but my cruisemates and I will be doing a "live from the Oceania Insignia 2019 world cruise" thread under the Oceania Cruise Line forum here on Cruise Critic's.   We'll post daily events, photo's, etc,, as well as try to answer question's from those following us....

20 minutes ago, bob brown said:

Not a real blog, but my cruisemates and I will be doing a "live from the Oceania Insignia 2019 world cruise" thread under the Oceania Cruise Line forum here on Cruise Critic's.   We'll post daily events, photo's, etc,, as well as try to answer question's from those following us....

Oh cool I will find that and follow it once you are underway! You will have a brilliant time - I am sure. I just scrolled through the itinerary and it looks great.

• Thanks 1

• Blackjack
  • Trivia.  Normally team of one, but if another group invites me to join, I'm not opposed to it. 
  • Adults Only section. Sea View lounge on the Holland America. Enjoy a Pina Colada and play with my smartphone, take in views, people watch. 
  • All the shore excursions. You're part of the group. 
  • Main Dining Room and Buffet.  Eating alone doesn't bother me one bit. 
  • All the scheduled entertainment. Live music, dueling pianos, stage shows, stand up, magicians.  I'll do it all. 

One thing I wish they had on my last cruise: a dedicated crew member to lead card games, board games, social games (like Werewolf (Werewolves)).  I would have LOVED that. 

Hi folks - 

I’ve enjoyed reading your comments and ideas re solo cruising. I’ve booked a solo cabin on the Koningsdam on her transatlantic this April. So looking forward to it! I’ve never cruised solo and look on it as an adventure. My DH will be meeting me in Rome. That, too, will be an adventure. 

I can’t quite picture how this will go, but reading of your experiences helps me visualize it - thanks. 

Have any of you tried one of these solo cabins? They get great reviews. 

• 3 months later...
On 3/30/2018 at 3:26 AM, PerfectlyPerth said:

Yup - the very essence of the word SOLO is the word YOU !! 😄

38 days will be divine - my longest is 33 night expedition in Antarctica (and a couple of 30 night ones down there as well) but I am aiming for the "someday" when I reach retirement - of the half year round the world joining multiple long trips together - cruise ! And yep all 100% selfishly solo :evilsmile:

I know this post is a year old but I still had to reply. I've loved your  comments and am SOOOO jealous!  i hope you are having a wonderful time being 100% selfish!!! (I'm preparing for my first cruise ever for my 50th birthday and I'm going solo.  I've learned over the past 50 years that no matter how much they may try, leaving your happiness in someone else's hands is asking for disappointment.  I'm doing this for me and I don't care what anyone else thinks! 🙂

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ala7769 said:

I know this post is a year old but I still had to reply. I've loved your  comments and am SOOOO jealous!  i hope you are having a wonderful time being 100% selfish!!! (I'm preparing for my first cruise ever for my 50th birthday and I'm going solo.  I've learned over the past 50 years that no matter how much they may try, leaving your happiness in someone else's hands is asking for disappointment.  I'm doing this for me and I don't care what anyone else thinks! 🙂

Good for you and hope you have a very Happy Birthday and a wonderful cruise:classic_biggrin:

8 hours ago, ala7769 said:

Well and truly !!!! We are all only on this planet for a short time and have to live it or lose it! Have yourself an awesome time.

• Like 1

Just putting another positive post on here.  I fly to New York on Tuesday and am going to see BEAUTIFUL on Broadway:classic_biggrin: (I LOVE Carole King).  And on Wednesday morning  I am going to the 9/11 Museum and Ground Zero and then I am going on a cruise out of Manhattan to Bermuda and Charleston.  Yes, doing all these things solo:classic_smile:

• Like 1