Royal Caribbean questions. Plus parking at Tampa port.

Mouselingsmum

Hi. We have booked a five night cruise in August on Majesty of the seas departing from Tampa. I have a few questions, if anyone can help?

Drinks questions:

We are a party if 2 adults and 2 children travelling from the UK and I am trying to get my head around the drink package options. The premium drinks package seems to be $60 a day at the moment including the gratuity charge and I’m trying to work out if it’s worth us doing. I’d drink coke and beer during the day and then gin and tonic or a couple of cocktails on an evening. (My husband should get full value from his!) there is a limit of $12 per drink, would this cover the price of cocktails? How does the accounting side of it work? Can for example, my husband go to a bar and order both drinks on his card or do I have to go up myself for mine? Also if I was ordering sodas for myself and then we order sodas for the kids during the day, how do they know which are mine and included in the pre-paid package and which ones are the kids that need paying for? (Assuming that we don’t book soda packages for the kids)

Food questions:

I notice there is a Johnny rockets and italian onboard. Is the food there included in the price and are they open at night or just during the day? Do we need to make reservations for them.

We wanted To choose the anytime dining plan but were told by our travel agent that I could only pick 6 or 8pm. I have since been on my cruise planner and there is an option to book anytime dining in a daily basis. I can choice a time between 6 and 645 and after 8pm. How does this work and can we request a table for 4 on some nights? Also what time are the two shows usually, so we can plan meal times to make sure we see one every night.

Tampa port

We are flying into US a week before the cruise and will be arriving into Tampa from the Orlando area. Can anyone tell me the best place to park at/near the port? We are thinking about staying over the night before. Do any nearby hotels offer a stay and park option? Any other general advice for Tampa port?

Ports of call

This cruise visits Cozumel and costa Maya. Is there any must see things to do in either port? We would quite like to see some Mayan ruins but don’t want anything with a very long drive with having the kids with us. If we just wanted to get off and head to the beach for a few hours, is that an option?

Sorry my first post is so longwinded. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and your post is terrific.

While you will get answers here I wanted to mention to you that there is a dedicated board just for RCI and that is a good place to also post this. Just copy and paste what you posted here and post it to the RCI board at:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=83

You will also find a lot of useful information on that board.

Keith

Depending on the cruise ;line, every adult in the cabin must but the packager. You are the only one who can buy a drink. You cannot buy one for anyone else and the waiters make sure you don't. We don't drink during the day and maybe 2 drinks each at night so the drink package is no good for us. We don't drink enough to make it worthwhile. You can buy a bucket of beer for just a bit less than buying one by one. Friends buy a bucket and he puts what he doesn't drink in his fridge.If you ask for the 'house' brand it is not as much $$ and the waiter will not give you the costlier gin, bourbon, etc, drink. You can ask what brand the house brand is.They get 15% of what ever is ordered- including soda. There is a beach and pool right at the Costa Maya port, next to the pier.

In Cozumel you need to take a cab there. Chankanaab National Park has everything, big beach, small museum and you can watch people swimming with the dolphins, etc. Forget the cost to get in but cab fare here should be posted before you get in the cab.

Anytime dining is between 5:30 and 9:30. You can go to the dining room anytime you want.

We like the 8:15 dining time. You are not rushed to get dressed for dinner after you get back from a tour and there is always food on ships in the buffet if you just don't want to wait.

Never cruised out of Tampa so can't help you there. Do go to your Roll Call here and you get in touch with others going on your cruise.