Need help to choose a cruise excursion in Santorini?

tyrannosaur

Our first time there we took the local bus to Oia and back. 2nd trip (3 years ago) we took the ferry to Oia with their bus ride back to Fira. Someone mentioned that they may no longer have the bus going back in which case you would need to get the local bus or a taxi back. Whatever you take...Oia is well worth it! Would love to go back again!

@Love the beach.

"3 years ago we took the ferry tio Oia with there bus ride back to Fira"

Did you have to pre book the ferry or did you just get off at tender dock and it was there? I mean does it run regularly or how is this information found out please?

Ive looked into a semi private tour, but due to cost, will only work if some of the others want to jump on and join in?

Thank you

1 hour ago, blondelinda said:

@Love the beach.

Did you have to pre book the ferry or did you just get off at tender dock and it was there? I mean does it run regularly or how is this information found out please?

Ive looked into a semi private tour, but due to cost, will only work if some of the others want to jump on and join in?

Thank you

We did not pre-book, Found out lots of info on these boards including the link to the ferry company:

http://www.aegeantravellersantorini.com/transfer-to-oia-by-speedboat-private-bus-back-to-fira/

You should reserve your return bus as soon as you get off the bus in Oia.

Have a great trip!

Edited by Love the beach

2 hours ago, blondelinda said:

@Love the beach.

Thank you

This is the same ferry (aka) speedboat that was included with our Greek Traveling group tour...You don't have to book with the tour company as this is an option for the walk up customer as well. A great way to go easily and quickly to Oia. I have no idea about the bus option from Oia to Fira as that didn't pertain to us. But I did see the sign and the vendor's selling this option combo as we got on the ferry (boat).

On 6/24/2019 at 10:33 AM, Love the beach said:

Our first time there we took the local bus to Oia and back. 2nd trip (3 years ago) we took the ferry to Oia with their bus ride back to Fira. Someone mentioned that they may no longer have the bus going back in which case you would need to get the local bus or a taxi back. Whatever you take...Oia is well worth it! Would love to go back again!

How long should we plan to be at Oia to really enjoy it? Looking at some tours that only spend and hour there. Is that enough time to see everything?

4 hours ago, shipster60 said:

How long should we plan to be at Oia to really enjoy it? Looking at some tours that only spend and hour there. Is that enough time to see everything?

Just a personal opinion but next time I would opt to spend more time in Oia.

On 7/1/2019 at 10:12 PM, shipster60 said:

I don't think an hour is enough....you don't want to be rushed....take the time to enjoy it! Do try to go early as the line to get back to the cable car can be very long especially if there are other ships in port leaving around the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2018 at 6:38 AM, fabnfortysomething said:

to be honest I wouldn't do any of them for the money NCL charges for their shore excursions

number 1 discount on basis you aren't interested in archaeology

number 2-Greek style entertainment means a cheesy group of dancers in traditional costume-is that of interest to you?

number 3 will be a coach direct to Oia to wander round .The only scenery you will see is from coach window there and back

you say you are interested in scenery and villages

If you're not interested in hiring a private tour to take you off the beaten track and see some of that countryside[what we did]

Then why not consider the boat from where tender drops you off at foot of cliffs at Fira which goes to Oia where you can spend whatever time you like

It includes bus back from Oia to Fira

you will have to get back down to pier by cable car or walk but you will have to do that anyway if you take an NCL tour as tender to Athionis is only on way there

You can still be one of the first off the ship if you make sure you have one of the first tender numbers

NCL run 2 tender operations at same time from different parts of ship

Ships excursions go from 1 tender to Athionis where meet coaches to transport up winding cliff

Those doing their own thing are on another boat to drop off at dock at Fira

hope that helps

It sounds like there are ways of avoiding the cable car?

On 7/1/2019 at 7:12 PM, shipster60 said:

All comes down to what you plan to do, crowds and the weather.  Hour is the minimum to do a little shopping and to walk all the way and just enough time to get an iconic picture/selfie, LOL.   If you are more cultural and want to explore or shopping, you'd likely need two hours, but if there during the hottest of the summer, perhaps you'd take a lot of time in the shade catching a drink or cooling off.   + long, luck we waited after the worst heat of the day, almost was going to just do the walk down, but the free cable car ticket and views were fun to do as the sun set. 

If I had to do it again; probably do the speed boat from the tendering dock and DIY, but the crowds really have taken some of the magic away, but the views are indeed spectacular.

I posted this on another thread yesterday... it is an update as I just got back from a cruise to the Greek Isles.

I am resurrecting this thread as I just got back from the Greek Isles and did the Santorini ferry to Oia.      We purchased the tickets from Aegean Traveller to take us from the port in Fira to Oia, a bus up the hill to Oia and a return bus back to Fira.

A few things to note.      It is VERY misleading that the bus will take you up the hill to Oia.   IT DOES NOT.   You have to walk up a very steep, long hill to get to the top.  The bus will then take you to the depot.     The hill is the hardest part and if you have medical issues or a hard time walking, it will be a very difficult climb.     We were told to look for a bus when we got off the boat that said NST.    We did find one at the bottom of the hill, but the driver kept yelling at us to walk to the top to look for a big white bus.    

Also what they don't tell you is that there is one dock for the boats and catamarans .... so there was a long line of boats to dock and let people off / on the boats.    

On a positive note, the lineup for the Cable Car at the end of the day took about 15 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@ELIZG.

Thanks for your post. So would you actually recommend doing it this way? Is there nobody on the boat to Oia that gets off and takes you to the "non existent" bus?

My husband does have some feet problems, so i was going to do exactly this after all the research, BUT with what you mention about the bus not being there, that could be a real issue. Is there no busses, taxis etc where you are let off?

It is a small port with a narrow / steep hill in front of you when you get off the boat.   There were private cars parked on both sides of the hill but we saw no taxi's.     We were the last two off the boat and followed the people in front of us.     We got half way up the hill and thought this can't be right and started to go back down to look for assistance.    A guy on a motor bike came down the hill and started yelling at us "I told you to walk to the top and look for the big white bus".     He must have told the first people off the bus, because he didn't tell us.     It was very unorganized.    Getting the bus back to Fira was no better.    There were hoards of people to get on one bus.    Luckily we got the last two seats but there had to have been 30 people still waiting to get on the bus.    They said there would be another bus, bus coming but it was very unorganized.        For reference, there were 3 ships in port that day.

Edited by ELIZG
  • Thanks 1